Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
seclists
Dungeon Master

Hi, one of my computers is a Linux computer (RH7.something) dedicated for browsing and reading/sending webmail. The problem is, the default browser in the install (Netscape 4.7something IIRC) is behaving pretty poorly. It often crashes without any apparent reason messing up something as it does so and fails to restart (forcing me to *reboot* the whole Linux system, merely killing the NS processes does not fix the problem). Also, the scripts used by many webmail services often fail to work in Netscape, making such functions as "Send" impossible to use. :/

So I'm looking for an alternative, as the computer is definitely usable aside from the browser. I don't need no Flash or other sexy features, just enough (Java)script support to enable webmail services. And since the computer is a bit "elderly" (it has only 48MB RAM), the browser would have to be relatively "light". It would definitely be a plus if you can turn image autoloading on/off as needed and set script execution and cookie privileges on a per-site basis.

Any suggestions?
(Addendum: I'm using Gnome, not KDE, if that makes a difference.)

[ 02-14-2005, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: seclists ]
seclists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

im not a linux expert.. but does mozilla work well with linux?

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Well yeah it works great, but 48mbs of RAM, you be pushing it. You could always use epiphany or galleon, since they are GTK2 browsers so you should see a bit better performance.

You could always pull the boat out and buy a 128mb stick of ram for a few quid
Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Dillo is supposed to be really light.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#linspeed

According to this web page Opera under Linux seems far faster than Firefox so would probably be a good bet on a low-spec computer. Certainly it contains many easily accessible options to reduce page content as well.

According to some threads asking for advice about which version to use on old computers, people have reported using Opera 7.11 on a computer with 32MB RAM and it ran fine (albeit under windows) and was much more stable than IE. Later versions are much faster, but tend to have a greater memory overhead.

If you do decide to go this route, http://nontroppo.org/wiki/Opera7Performance
is a good site with some advice on getting maximum performance.

Dillo does seem to be consistently mentioned as the best browser for low spec machines, but you may be sacrificing some functionality - having never used it, I can't really comment.

[ 02-14-2005, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote