Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

How about a debate on Biodiversity?
Did you know 2001-2 was International Biodiversity Observation Year? I didn't and I'm interested in that sort of thing! (I bet Silver Cheetah and Epona know!)
Anyway, what they are doing is:

"Exploring biodiversity(to) unlock many benefits through discovery of new genes and chemicals that can be used for drugs, to improve crops, or restore polluted land. More importantly, learning where new species are, their role in maintaining healthy ecosystems and how we can conseve them is vital for making informed decisions about our land, rivers and oceans."

Now, imo, this is a good thing, but I very much doubt the will of governments and vested interests of all kinds to DO anything, regardless of the good intentions behind this attempt.
I think our only real hope lies in our young people. We need children in school and young teenagers to get interested in what is, after all, their OWN future. We old ones have messed up big-time. So - with most teachers more or less forced to teach only what is in the curriculum, and most parents too busy to bother, how can the relatively few who care help our young people to become sufficiently aware of the problems we face environmentally, so that they will want to get involved in improving it?
Ideas?

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Old 10-28-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I Dont HaVE a clue about what you just said, but you scared me! I thought you were leaving the board!!!

------------------
The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Nutella

Waiter At PB's Pub

BINKY The Founding Member, Cheif Architect AND Official Chanter Of O.R.T

The Order Of Royal Toads

The FFGaming Forums
FFGaming ~ Your Number One Final Fantasy Resource
Old 10-28-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Fljotsdale

*ahem! Tries not to giggle*
Errrmmm..... I DID sorta intend to grab attention with that header....
But You are the only one it caught! *sighs dolefully*

Gosh, but I miss Diogenes! *kicks stone moodily and slouches away...*

------------------

Here be Dragons!

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Old 10-28-2001, 04:14 PM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I Dont HaVE a clue about what you just said, but you scared me! I thought you were leaving the board!!!

I agree, I was thinking the worst! That was BAD Fljotsdale! But I can't be mad at you my Queen. (I don't want to lose my head either!)

(Are you like the Queen Of Hearts?...Off with your head!)

Sorry I haven't read your post yet to make a reply!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
Old 10-28-2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
*ahem! Tries not to giggle*
Errrmmm..... I DID sorta intend to grab attention with that header....
But You are the only one it caught! *sighs dolefully*

Gosh, but I miss Diogenes! *kicks stone moodily and slouches away...*

Heehee! Silly Billy! I would Of Thought You'd Get About 70 Replies With That Title! Hee Hee!

------------------
The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Nutella

Waiter At PB's Pub

BINKY The Founding Member, Cheif Architect AND Official Chanter Of O.R.T

The Order Of Royal Toads

The FFGaming Forums
FFGaming ~ Your Number One Final Fantasy Resource
Old 10-28-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

Now, imo, this is a good thing, but I very much doubt the will of governments and vested interests of all kinds to DO anything, regardless of the good
I think our only real hope lies in our young people. We need children in school and young teenagers to get interested in what is, after all, their OWN future. We old ones have messed up big-time. So - with most teachers more or less forced to teach only what is in the curriculum, and most parents too busy to bother, how can the relatively few who care help our young people to become sufficiently aware of the problems we face environmentally, so that they will want to get involved in improving it?
Ideas?
I agree that education is key.
And not just informing the young of the need to be bio-friendly. I think that your right about most parents being to busy to care about whats taught and this is something that needs to change. What a huge topic, there is a need for smarter more 'caring' teachers (easier said than done, i know). There is a need
for resources in schools. Children are the biggest, most rewarding, of all the worlds resources...and for that resource to pay off education is the prime factor, at every level, from grade school to university. And imo education should be free all the way through university...(but hard, virtually impossible, i know).

LOL, and I totally disagree that you oldies have 'messed up big time'. All part of the process imo...and if mess up would be correct, it would probably be something that stretches back quite a few thousand years...

Old 10-28-2001, 04:39 PM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Do not ever scare me like that again Fljotsdale, I thought you were leaving! Thank god you weren't!
Old 10-28-2001, 05:30 PM   #8
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I agree, I was thinking the worst! That was BAD Fljotsdale! But I can't be mad at you my Queen. (I don't want to lose my head either!)

(Are you like the Queen Of Hearts?...Off with your head!)

Sorry I haven't read your post yet to make a reply!
I'm bad 'cos I'm bored!

And I'm not an 'Alice' Queen so you are safe, lol! The worst I shall do is scowl at you ( )! But have never even made me mildly mad ( ) because you are too nice!

------------------

Here be Dragons!

Old 10-28-2001, 05:33 PM   #9
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Heehee! Silly Billy! I would Of Thought You'd Get About 70 Replies With That Title! Hee Hee!
*sigh* Nobody loves me. Hardly anyone had replied! *sob*

------------------

Here be Dragons!

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-28-2001).]
Old 10-28-2001, 05:34 PM   #10
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Do not ever scare me like that again Fljotsdale, I thought you were leaving! Thank god you weren't!
Thank you, dear!

------------------

Here be Dragons!