Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #31
MagiK

Space is vast and holds more things than we can imagine. but it cost mucho dollars to send out probes and to get to pluto takes more than a decade. Longer than any politician wants to have a money sink in his back pocket [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #32
MagiK

Umm on a physical front here...if there were a planet sized object that will pass within the earths orbit in 2003, we would see it in the night sky due to reflected sunlight...even if the surface were covered in carbon black. Just a thought, we can see dark little planets like mars with the naked eye, anything massive and large would be much more apparent. Over all Im not feeling too worried about the 10th planet.

Old 04-19-2002, 07:03 PM   #33
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Need I bring up the case of the guy who thought the world would end in 1998??
That was most likely because 1998 = 666 * 3.[/QUOTE]Yes, among other things... here's a link to the original if any are interested.
It was actually quite funny what lengths the guy went to.

Check it out!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:13 PM   #34
Chewbacca
Zartan

For any one interested in Nibiru, you must read the seven book study by Zacharia Sitchen(sp) titled "The Earth Chronicals". In this quite in-depth and lengthy scientific study Mr. Sitchen draws upon arceological data that spans continents, cultures, and centuries. The first book is titled "The 12th Planet". Its begins the series in Sumeria and the evidence the Sumerians left of their culture and knowledge that still survives today. A nice part about the books is they were made in an easy to read and digest manner. Seven mass market paperbacks sold individually make up the series and you can find them in most bookstores. They even have pictures!

BTW: I think the existance of Nibiru is a fact, whether it still exists today is a mystery. Our advanced space radar and telescopes would have found it by now, so either it suffered from a distaster that altered its orbit, or destroyed it or it is a very, very, very, very, very big secret, or it can cloak.

edit: Its called the 12th planet because our ancestors included the sun and moon into their tally of the solar system's inhabitants.

[ 04-19-2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 04-19-2002, 10:46 PM   #35
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Farscry:
Well, you guys are really lowering my apprehension, so here goes.

Basically, most of the current theories (that I've been reading; I may not be finding many good alternative theories to read as well) are that Nibiru is the tenth planet, and a rather large one at that. It allegedly has, as you've mentioned, a highly elliptical orbit. In fact, the theory is that Nibiru's orbit is even more elliptical than Pluto's (and is the primary reason Pluto's is even elliptical in the first place).

The thing that has me concerned is if certain parties are correct in their belief that the orbit of Nibiru would bring it quite close to the sun. So close, in fact, that it would pass within the earth's orbit.

Now, the danger isn't so much that Nibiru will smack into the earth and destroy us all. (mathematical balance and orbits and all that stuff should keep that from happening, or something like that) The danger is instead that Nibiru is so large and dense and possesses such a powerful magnetic field that it will thoroughly disrupt most of our planet's natural cycles.

RudeDawg, you're right about how many people believe the passage will occur in 2003 (or sometime right around then), and that's my concern. It could have catastrophic effects to life on earth and cause a terrible disruption to modern civilization with all the sudden volcanic and seismic activity, not to mention the insane tidal activity and magnetic pole disruptions. (Some even believe that our magnetic poles and rotation would be altered, though that sounds very extreme)

So anyway, I'm not totally convinced of this, but the theory is well-developed enough (with basis in science and historical evidence) that I certainly give it some credence. And if it IS true, this is the kind of event that you have to prepare for: find a relatively safe location away from flood plains, fault lines, and mountainous regions in order to "ride out the storm."

That's why I want to implant the germ of possibility into the minds of those I love, so that if this DOES come to pass (assuming I recognize the signs in time [img]smile.gif[/img] ) they come with me to safer ground for at least the time it takes to see what happens. Better safe than sorry, ya know?

Anyway, I'm curious what other perspectives are out there.

And Sazerac, I'm guilty of getting non-gaming words/names mixed up with gaming ones quite often myself!

Farscry
According to the Sumerians, Nibiru Orbits the sun every 3,600 years. I suspect that if Nibiru were close enough to be near in 2003 we would already be suffering drastic climate effects. Using the Sumerian calender, we have some time left (hundreds of years) before we will see Nibiru again, if we see Nibiru again. The interesting thing is, from the Sumerian time frame, Nibiru's last encounter would have been sometime between 100-500 B.C. That said, Inconsistencies arise determing how the Sumerian calender translates to Our calender because of a major cultural shift from a lunar calender to a solar calender in early history.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:48 PM   #36
Encard
Quintesson

I suggest that we at IW pool our money and build a massive Space Laser of Planet-Blasting just in case. *hides in a corner* Please don't hurt me...
Old 04-20-2002, 01:28 AM   #37
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Interesting views all. This is exactly what I was hoping for: lots of well-though ideas on both sides of the coin!

Again, I'm kinda sitting halfway between. I've read many other articles which offer fairly convincing arguments accounting for the physics involved, so I don't think that it's as simple to discount the theory as you would have us believe, Azred.

However, to make the leap to believing the currently popular theories about Nibiru takes some logical jumps which are rather difficult to accept. Personally, I hope Azred is right and this is a great big gust of hot air ruffling our knickers. (heh... now THERE'S an odd image...)

But, if climatic and geological data is analyzed from a certain point of view, you could make a case for the recent (as in the past decade) heightening of seismic and volcanic activity being caused by magnetic forces already being exerted by Nibiru upon our planet. And as for the "global warming" (which in all likelihood I believe is just a part of our natural climate cycle which is shifting away from the currently overly long interglacial period; a warming trend at the end followed by long-term cooling as has happened many times in the past), it too could be attributed to magnetic forces of Nibiru upon our iron core.

One last point (to get into the really crazy conspiracy crap), if the world governments KNEW that this planet was out there, and was pretty certain that it would be catastrophic, would they want to announce it and lead the world into a crazy panicky state? Think about it: who controls the powerful telescopes the world over? Government-funded astronomy agencies.

Kinda makes you wonder, eh? Heck, if I was a powerful world leader and new a disaster would strike the world in a few years, after which civilization and our resulting damaged ecology could not sustain such a high population, I don't know that I'd be willing to cause a widespread panic, despair, and possible breakdown of society by announcing it.

Just some thoughts. I'm enjoying reading others' perspectives though! (both in agreement and disagreement) Again, I don't fully buy this all myself, though I'm leaning a little towards it. If nothing else, I'll do just like I did with Y2k: do just enough planning to survive if it comes to pass, but not let it consume my life and alter my lifestyle completely "just in case". We'll know in plenty of time, though, because if the Nibiru scenario is true, we'll all see it for ourselves with out naked eyes with more than enough warning time.

Farscry