Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

SP2 == Windows XP Service Pack 2
it adds some new 'security features', but to be honest they don't really do much to improve security [img]smile.gif[/img]
after all, they left in the biggest piece of crapware - Internet Explorer 6. switching to Mozilla Firefox or Opera will do wonders for your wellbeing while surfing the net.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #12
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
SP2??
You know the update for XP, right from Microsoft itself. It takes an eternity to DL but it does fix a host of problems. I did/do have a minor problem with Norton since upgrading.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 09-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

How's it working, Timber? Remember, you have to download the new Spybot 1.3, the update feature won't get you there.

My best guess is, as I mentioned, it is something respawning under another profile. I usually scan each profile after booting into safe mode. Remember to update the programs before rebooting.

As for Service Pack 2, I'm firmly in the 'give it a month or two' department, so they can work out the kinks. There are known conflicts with widely used products like Norton's and even some MS products. The new features look promising, but I'll have to wait for some clear signs these issues have been resolved before trying that one. Be aware, if you have automatic updates turned on you ARE downloading and installing SP2.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:42 PM   #14
Gxc
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
I use Spy Sweep and a lot of the crap went away when I installed SP2.
I use the same, but i also use ad-aware.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:38 AM   #15
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
... sucks slurps and swallows.

I have tried a LOT of solutions, but cannot get rid of this damned bug. Please help. the only way I can stomach being online from home is to run AdAware when I turn on my computer -- that stops the annoying SpySweeper popups telling me that this boil on my butt has yet again changed my homepage.

PLEASE HELP!!! I need a permanent solution (that doesn't involve a hammer)!!!!
Since I seem to have missed or forgotten the original problem (and a quick page jump back through GD for the past 20 days, and a look at your recent posts didn't help),
What browser are you using? If it's IE, I will happily forward you 6 pages of articles telling you why not to use it. These types of problems are mentioned, among other things. Changing your browser IS a permanant solution, because there are none with the basic structural problems that a few select Microsoft products have (those being, Windows and the programs that are bundled with it to the point of you ont being able to get rid of them). Firefox is excellent, Opera isn't as good (in my opinion) but some people still swear by it, the Mozilla Suite is as good as Firefox if you don't mind bloatware, and Netscape/AOL Navigator is alright if you can ignore the spyware and the bad interface colour scheme.
If you've already abandoned anything on the IE engine, ignore everything I just said. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 02:55 AM   #16
Jorath Calar
Harper

You know, this thread would be a lot more useful if you guys provided links to where people could get these programs you mentioned... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Where would I get HJT for instance, I want to try it.
I'm fairly free of these buggers, just get one every once in a while that pops up a messagebox telling me to patch windows. No way I'm giving them the satisfaction of using their suggestion.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:59 AM   #17
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Google.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:10 AM   #18
Lucern
Quintesson

I had a similar homepage hijack, and I think it was About:...

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

Webroot's spyware sweeper did the trick for me, after AdAware and Spybot missed it. It's absurd that I am now using three anti-spyware programs, but it seems to be working, even with cursed IE6. Also note that there's a cool newer Ad-Aware called "Ad-Aware SE Personal" that's free too.

The hijacker I had was particularly heinous because it would show up after I left my 'homepage' to look at other pages. It hijacked almost EVERYTHING I went to, and it practically shut down all surfing. So if you can even get to that link, good luck!

[ 09-12-2004, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 09-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #19
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Lennon does makes a good point, and Firefox is a pretty good browser, but I'm not gonna let some punk hacker, who gets his kicks screwing with people, stop me from using IE because I like IE. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

At one stage, Lennon convinced me to use three spyware programs, but I just decided to use Firefox, and now I dont have any problems.