Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
banzai
Manshoon

Ok - after a long time I got back to NWN / SoU / HotU. I couldn´t find my old CDs so I bought a new Gold Edition with all three. I installed them all but when I started I was prompted to remove my backup disk and put in the original disk. As you probably guess my original disk was already inserted. I searched for that topic in here and have found some tips regarding installed ROM burning or virtual drive software. The problem is I have it installed on a *fresh* XP Prof SP2 - no virtual drives at all and not even a burning software right now. Just the minimum stuff like OpenOffice, Firefox, Acrobat Reader etc.
I´m just able to start NWN without SoU or HoTu. I patched NWN to 1.66 - if I install SoU and / or HotU now, do they patch this b******t copy protection too so that I´m able to start these two expansions ? Or will I be back to the beginning then not able to start any of the three ?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I used to get a message similar to this when I'd be making cd's for my gf to take to work. If you have a cd burner/dvd burner, software is preinstalled on the rig. Other than that, I'm not sure, I don't recall reading any where about it being an issue with the Gold Box set.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You might want to mosey over to the official forums at nwn.bioware.com and ask about this in the tech support section.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I have the Platinum Edition that came with all 3 games. I hate having to insert disks so I have virtual drives. I also have a cd burner and a dvd burner that came with my computer, and I have no problems.

Are you trying to play a version of the game installed with your old disks using your nmew disks? That might be the problem.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
banzai
Manshoon

Letter

So I think I have to go over to their forums ...
My machine is *maiden-like* because I just bought the hardware and installed my own (legal) copy of Win XP - it has no virtual drives installed and for ROM burning purposes just the Roxio clone that comes with XP.

Nevertheless - thank you all for your efforts !!!

Oh - I nearly forgot ...
Out of sheer desperation I started to play the original campaign - it still feels great even after nearly two years !!!!

[ 12-02-2005, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: banzai ]
Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I run the platinum pack on a fairly clean system myself. I do have a dvd/cd burner, and there's been no problems.

By the way, I forgot to ask if you're patched to 1.66? The 1.66 patch eliminated the need to have a CD in the drive when you play.

Nightowl2
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
banzai
Manshoon

At the moment I have installed just NWN patched to 1.66. What if I try to install SoU /HotU now ?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If SOU and/or HOTU are not 1.66, they will have to be patched too, and I think separately.

Since you have NWN 1.66, I'm surprised it's asking for a CD. Definitely, go over to the Bioware forums, sign up, register your NWN CD, and ask in the tech forum for help. Only registered owners can post in the tech forum, and they don't allow tech questions in the general discussion area.

Nightowl2
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you install both at the same time, you will only need to update once. I had forgotten about the not needing cd's in the latest patch. Try to run the game w/out the cd, and see what happens.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
banzai
Manshoon

Ok - probably there´s a little misunderstanding. Here´s a small recap of what I´ve done:

1. Installed NWN / SoU / HotU. Game didn´t start up - game is telling me to remove backup disk etc. then shuts down. Not able to update because game never reached the *update screen*. Deinstalled everything.

2. Installed NWN / SoU. Game didn´t start up - game is telling me to remove backup disk etc. then shuts down. Not able to update because game never reached the *update screen*. Deinstalled everything.

3. Installed NWN. Game starts up fine - patched game to 1.66 via auto-updater. Game runs fine without CD.

Now my question:
If I install SoU / HotU now will this installation *downgrade* my current NWN installation ? Meaning do I have to insert my disk then again to start the game ? Because then probably I´m not able to update to 1.66 a 2nd time.

Hopefully I´m not too pesky with my nice little problem but in my personal experience they´re not THAT helpful over at the official forum / support.