Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Question Mark Windows 7 - video cards and games

It looks like I have to buy a laptop this weekend (for work mainly) and they only come with windows 7. So the question is what games will and won't play on that system?

Another question is what size video card must I buy to run stuff like NWN2 (if i can) and such?

Is there any other problems with windows 7 that you guys have noticed ?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Windows 7 - video cards and games

Running WIN7 x64 here on a desktop w/8GB RAM. No problems with games so far. Even DosBox works and allows me to play my 2 old DOS games. Dragon Age: Origins runs without a hiccup, so I'm sure NWN2 would run...on a desktop.

Laptops need to be bought with as hefty a graphics processor you can afford, because you can't "upgrade" the video card,,, because there isn't one. A laptop with lots of RAM and a hi-end GP is quite expensive in the states...usually over $1000 US, and maybe even over $2000 US.

That being said, it is "possible" to buy laptops that have replaceable GPU's so that the GPU can be upgraded in the future. But why wait for that? Just get what you need when you first buy it.

But since it's for work, I'm guessing your employer will foot the bill

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 04-27-2010 at 06:06 AM.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post

But since it's for work, I'm guessing your employer will foot the bill
Nope ... but I will be able to claim some tax back.

I can get 512mb game card ones for about $1000 but for 1gb ones the cost is about $1800.
It's a huge increase in price.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Nope ... but I will be able to claim some tax back.

I can get 512mb game card ones for about $1000 but for 1gb ones the cost is about $1800.
It's a huge increase in price.
That's why I think you should go the "built-in" route. Get as much 'bang' as you can up front,,,then get the accessory slot video card in the future, if needed.

P.S.--- I don't know much about using the accessory slot for graphics boosting. The shop I worked in didn't carry them (because of the expense). And I never came across a customer that used them. They always said "Hell,,, $1800 for a video card!? Are you crazy? I can buy a whole new laptop for that!"

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 04-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

I am a bit confused over this 64 / 32 bit option. I'm guessing that 32 bit is the way to go if i want compatibility?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

My understanding is that if you want more than 3 - 3.5 GB of RAM that you can use, you need to go 64-bit, otherwise 32-bit will cap out at that no matter how much you put in your system.

As for graphics cards in laptops, be careful. I had a laptop that I shelled out big bucks for and the freaking thing overheated and killed a graphics card and possibly the CPU. Basically the inside of the case was blackened with scorch marks in a number of places. Literally happened a week after my warranty expired, naturally. The price to fix the overpriced thing was indeed enough to buy a new computer, which is just what I did. 512 MB graphics card might not be the best, but my wife has had one that's been good to her for several years and going strong.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

What kind of gaming are you looking to do with your laptop? If you want to play the newest games, you really are going to be hard-pressed for finding a laptop that can do the job well.

Also, it'd be helpful if you gave price range as to what you are willing to spend Wellard.

As a rule of thumb, you are never going to be able to buy a laptop as powerful as a desktop for the price equivalent. From my own personal opinion, I detest laptops. Too many models are plagued by incredibly crappy cooling designs, weak/flimsy chassis, etc. They are much more prone to failure. That's just my view on laptops, and why I shy away from them.

Unless you are running some serious legacy software, go with 64 bit. I've had no problems with an application not running because of a 64 bit OS. It is more secure, allows more RAM, and really 32 bit is getting long in the tooth/obsolete.

If you have some models you'd want to list, that'd work as well.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Thanks for the feedback

Yes you are right I should give a price range. Max would be $1300 US ($1500 Aus) and the max size is 15 or 16 inch screen

Work programmes and office 2003 (excel/word /power point stuff) and some older games / internet is all I really need. I could spend more but I work as an engineer and very far away from an office environment. The likelihood of it getting dropped/bashed/wet is high

My home PC will always be THE gaming centre of my world

Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Thanks for the feedback

Yes you are right I should give a price range. Max would be $1300 US ($1500 Aus) and the max size is 15 or 16 inch screen

Work programmes and office 2003 (excel/word /power point stuff) and some older games / internet is all I really need. I could spend more but I work as an engineer and very far away from an office environment. The likelihood of it getting dropped/bashed/wet is high

My home PC will always be THE gaming centre of my world
Alright. If you could link to a store you would be purchasing your laptop from, that'd also be great. I don't know what electronic sellers you really have in Australia, and I'm almost positive major laptop vendors sell different models in different countries (although I could be wrong).

In either case, the best advice I can offer up to this point is this. Any laptop where it doesn't have Intel graphics is probably an ideal laptop. Intel's IGP (integrated graphics processor), known as their GMA series, has been notorious for setting the bar extremely low with integrated graphics. Both Nvidia and AMD have done tremendous jobs with their IGP solutions. Their discrete solutions are of course, even more ideal. But if you are playing older games, depending on how "old" they are, you might be able to get away with an integrated solution from Nvidia and AMD.

Here is a review of a ~$880.00 USD laptop.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18778/1

Something like this seems like it'd cater to your needs well. Of course, since you have a higher budget if you want to spring for something a little better, that is certainly doable.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

A few of the major vendors offer XP downgrades from Win 7 licenses, but I manage to play all my games fine on Win7 and love it.

I won't get into an argument over which brand is best as its a fruitless argument, but if you can't decide what you want, let us know and I'll post a page full of my thoughts
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote