Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 09:33 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Click here for an article written by Desslock for Gamespot on the state of the D&D license, and the ramifications for future AD&D CRPGs.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-19-2001, 11:51 AM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

I still can't get over the sell off. Why in the world would WOTC sell DnD to infrogames with Bioware and interplay having so much success. Why do people feel the need to "fix" that which is not broken.

ARGH!!!!

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 03-19-2001, 01:22 PM   #3
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

I'm being myself... the ad&d series (IWD, BG and BG2) is the BEST thing I ever played.... I just love it!
Thanks for all who brought it to us...
Old 03-19-2001, 02:05 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I had no idea! I just can't imagine interplay not making any more games. Is there anyone we can yell at?

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
Charean
Hathor

Gadzooks!!!

That is some nasty news indeed....

It is odd that they have a proven market for RPGs and yet, do nothing to stoke the fire. I was really looking forward to more games of this type, and now it may be a few years before they come out with the same calibre as BG2 or NWN.

I am indeed saddened by this.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?
Wandering Joke of the Laughing Hyenas
Laughter can be a Mighty Weapon - when wielded with pizazz and accuracy! What Ho!!
Old 03-20-2001, 04:05 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurican:
I still can't get over the sell off. Why in the world would WOTC sell DnD to infrogames with Bioware and interplay having so much success. Why do people feel the need to "fix" that which is not broken.

ARGH!!!!

My sentiments exactly, Aurican.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-20-2001, 04:21 AM   #7
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

Hasbro also had the Mechwarrior lincence, and sold that to Microsoft.

Hasbro, about 2 years ago, went ape shit and began buying eveything in sight. They bought WOC, which came with TSR, and I'm guessing West end games as the Star Wars game is now useing a modified 3ed AD&D system. They also bought Milton bradly, and launched "Hasbro interactive", and picked up Zipper interactive, SSI?, and Interplay (I get that right too?). They allied with Microsoft (who wanted into the gameing side of computer software). They revamped their old board games (Monoply 2K, Axis & Allies, Risk, etc). Then they made new computer versions and were dumping them on the gameing market for about half what you pay for PC games. They were even working with Apple computer to port their games to the new iMac's.

Add that all up, and factor that Hasbro ain't that big of a company. They over extended on their out going money, figureing big returns. I'm thinking they did't get them.

Your not gonna unload WOC, they make CRAK:The gathering, and Pokemon. That's quick money for little effort now. Your not selling off your core business (board games/toys), and unloading the mighty TSR is all but impossiable (no one wants it other than WOC who bought it as a mercy buy).

What's that leave? Mechwarrior (who Microshaft was drewling over), and your very strong selling computer games. Interplay was kicking some major ass in sales, they are strong, been around a wile, and have a killer game in BG. That was a very sellable thing, and for big money I'll bet. That is why they did it, it was for quick money to bail out the rest of the company. Happens to every company that tries to grow too quick.

Or....an idiot now runs the company.

Don't worry we'll have more infinety engin games baised on D&D. Trust me, it's an all ready paied for core engine, that is very flexable. Cloning BG games will be easy, look at IWD for example. Their is tons of money floating around, and tons in intrest in Black Isle, Interplay, and stuff like that. Just sit back, wait for the BGII expantion and NWN.

My vote for a new location for the Black Isle on the Relms is Rashaman! I want a giant minature space hampster of my own! Or a snow Weezle. Thay would be kinda neet too.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-20-2001, 04:34 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Saddens my heart to hear..
Well, disapointments never stop to appear on the horizon it seems, well lets hope that they will listen more to the players in the future...

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-20-2001, 04:55 AM   #9
Lukas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's just my opinion my Hasbro seems to have a knack of turning whatever they touch into dust - sort of like an anti-Midas.

They don't seem to have a handle on making good computer games. Look at the last few titles from MicroProse - B17II had its heart cut out (the multi player aspect), Gunship is more an arcade sim rather than the "hard-core" sim they made it out to be. Falcon 4 is getting better all the time, NO thanks to Hasbro.

Now I read on CGW that they've sold the their computer games division (Hasbro Interactive) to Infogrames. Excuse me, but I think BG1 & BG2 (and IWD and Planescape Torment) are good quality games by any definition. What kind of management will sell away the goose that lays your golden eggs?? Dorks.

Old 03-20-2001, 11:40 AM   #10
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Dire news! You hold them down, I'll do the smacking!