Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Our state is bribing Dell to come to NC with a huge incentive in the millions of dollars. They decide tomorrow where it will be positioned. The last time we bid on a multimillion dollar company...we lost the bid to Georgia, who offered like twice what we did. That was a Mercedes manufacturing plant, if I heard right. I hear we will not be outbid with this one.

I don't necessarily have a question about this, but I wanted to see if it might provoke some discussion somehow.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Dude as long as they keep there help desk state side I'll be a happy camper. I'm Dell Premire Certified and everytime I need to talk to one of there "techs" to come replace a defective mobo or what have you I get there sub par help desk. I speak with "Bob" for about 30 seconds before I request a US side operator. Dell can be a great company they just need to make sure there "Techs" are in the know!! Other issue's we are having as of late are unannounced recalls and in stock items falling behind. The company I am with has over 700+ US locations and another 300 around the world, and pretty much everyone has a Dell system. There great at keeping up with issue's as long as you get someonewho understands you and you them except on some items they are supposed to have for warranty issues, found out today they are back logged at least 2 weeks on items they had a recall for, and the kicker of the recall is that I read it in the News Paper and had to call them on it!! But other then that, provided y'all got the contract it should definetly give ya some job's and better the economy in the area. Dell has been around for a good time, and are just going through growing pains now, and Im sure they will be around for a lot longer.

[ 11-08-2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 11-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I fully agree with you Elif. Dell are great and all, but they do need to sort out their tech lines. I have phoned them in the past, and you speak with some indian at a call centre which doesn't actually have a clue what is going on. It took me half an hour to get them to understand once, and the guy didn't actually know what to do, so he asked someone else, then told me what I already knew and had tried...all the while costing 50p+ pm. I don't think Il phone them again in a hurry
Old 11-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I fully agree with you Elif. Dell are great and all, but they do need to sort out their tech lines. I have phoned them in the past, and you speak with some indian at a call centre which doesn't actually have a clue what is going on. It took me half an hour to get them to understand once, and the guy didn't actually know what to do, so he asked someone else, then told me what I already knew and had tried...all the while costing 50p+ pm. I don't think Il phone them again in a hurry
Same thing happened to me EVERYTIME. The one number i was able to get thru was some guy in inventory who spoke english very well. And he WAS NOT in India. He was state side. Maybe the new Dell plant will also have a tech service center there. That would be great for customer service instead of having overseas CS. Sorry I mean no amnimosity towards non-english folks, but its very hard to do business if we don't understand each other.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I also hope to get the man who married my second cousin a job at Dell, so he move out of New York and get my cousin back home to good ol' NC.

By the way, if anyone wants to see his impressive resume, please notify me. He has networking experience and certified on alot of stuff.

[ 11-08-2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

when a state bids for a plant like that, where does the money go? to dell?
and is that money used to build the plant, or does it go to dell, or is it a reduction in land taxes or how does it work?