Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #11
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
"Strewth! have a go ya mug" <--- my fave saying

My oldest gets called Bluey sometimes, cause he has red hair of course!

Just to let you know skippy, many 'Ozisms' are back in fashion big time, in Sydney at least. Not in a piss take fashion but in a real reclaim our heritage way. Is the cultural cringe truely dead? I hope so
That's great news! Remember in my apprentice days working with this old bloke who used to have a little moan at me about the way the Aussie language was suffering due to TV and the "American Creep" as he used to call it. Never thought much about it at the time, but as I've grown older I've realised what a unique and colourfully colloquial form of speech that we have. Instantly recognizable as Australian. Although sometimes the poms ask is it a Kiwi accent I have as they can't tell the difference. Mind you, give us a couple of more decades and I'm sure we can integrate our Kiwi Cousins.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 AM   #12
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
It's funny just how many Australianisms we've retained in the face of huge exposure from American TV and other media - people often bemoan the loss of our culture but I think there's less to worry about than they fear - things like petrol (gas), car boot (trunk), biscuits (cookies), lollies (candy), mobile (cell phone) and so on don't see any signs of being dumped in favour of American terms - a good thing!

LOL I was surprised how many of those Australianisms from that list I use on a regular basis - I think when you're in the city you think of real Aussie slang as what people in the bush say
I've been living in England for 11 years now and I'm told that I still have a fairly strong accent. The wife used to give me heaps when we first arrived accusing me of accentuating my accent. I think it was merely the case that the local accent was very much different to Australian. The funny thing is as well the amount of times I hear "Australianisms" used here by the local kids. They all watch the OZ soaps here, and a bit of the lingo rubs off. It's great!!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

One of the great "Australianisms" that they hear a lot over in pommyland is "gold gold gold, Australia have won gold yet again" I belive that kids up there after the Olympic games in Athens will know our national anthem better than there own

Is this true Skip? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
Skippy1
Elminster

I'd have thought that one of the most common "Australianisms" is not knowing the words to the national anthem. I still don't know the word to Advance Australia Fair. But I can sing most of Waltzing Mathilda to you!

Just as an aside though, one of my mates over here said to me that when he was growing up, his sporting heros were Dennis Lilley and Jeff Thompson. I cracked up at the time. But thinking on it, who did the Poms have apart from "Beefy"? And he was regarded as an Aussie by the OZ cricket team!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #15
wellard
Dracolisk

Bob "Dylan" Willis

Good, but not quite Lilly and Thomo was he

Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
I'd have thought that one of the most common "Australianisms" is not knowing the words to the national anthem. I still don't know the word to Advance Australia Fair. But I can sing most of Waltzing Mathilda to you!

Just watch the Athens games, You will soon hear the Anthem

again, again, again, again

Old 03-17-2004, 06:07 AM   #17
Skippy1
Elminster

Hope your right Wellard. I think it will be hard to top our tally from the last games though.