Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
eddie-c
Dungeon Master

When creating new chars, is there a maximum and
minimum # of points, like a 3d8 roll that generates
a number?

Just curious because I've just created a new
char and had **17** points to assign!!

What's the most anyone else has had?
eddie-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It varies, based on your class and race. But 17 is a rather good number...

Creating the Den of THieves party, I think the most I got was 8.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

It is also my experience that it varies, but I thought the numbers were fixed depending on the character's role and race. (Not necessarily meaning that the character would have less ability points - they were just allocated by the game itself).

But now that you say you have gotten seventeen... I am not so sure anymore. What was the race and role of the character?

...And where is Radek when he is needed?

[ 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 02-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ah Radek where art thou. We needst thou.

Me tinks the smaller total number to assign the happier the game master is. This is probably the hardest part of the game for me. I have spent up 8 hrs, that's 4 days of real world gamming time. Just to create 1 critter! That is not using it for gold cheat, that is for assignment points only. Race dependent between 8 and 12 is the normal average. I have noticed a 10% for less than average, and maybe 6% for greater. The most I have ever started with is recorded. It took place @ 23:15Hrs, 22 Dec 2000, Ft Knox, KY. I was on leave prior to moving to Germany, and I was enjoying the first runs of W&W. Set-up; Lizzoid, Male, Wizard, Starting points were 27. Needless to say I backed up and changed to male, whiska, wizard, and the original Felix the Assassin came about. I have never again seen a start with a number over 15.

So take that 17 and use it wisely. It is a very high number and not the norm!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

I've never seen more than 18 bonus points.

But the number of bonus points is completely unessential. The total number of stat points is the only thing that matters. You can get, for example, 6 bonus points and all your stats at 10. Such roll is extremely good and you won't see a better one for a very long time most likely. You can also get 18 bonus points and some of your stats at 3 some at 7 and the rest at 9. Bad roll. Roll again.

If you want to evaluate your roll, then add all stat points together and add the bonus points. You can improve your stats to 10 by means of your bonus points in order to make the addition simpler - because you can always take the assigned bonus points back and reassign them more wisely. Naturally, you will do all this only if you see that the roll isn't too bad. Now:

1. Roll over 80 - take it. Very good and rare roll.
2. Roll over 75 - If you aren't too choosy then take it. A good roll but there are better ones
3. Roll below 70 - bad roll. Roll again.

The best roll I've ever seen in my practice was 89. The best roll I've seen posted on the phorum was 93.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

You all know that re-rolling is cheating right? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Or what do you think Bungleau?
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
You all know that re-rolling is cheating right?
Cheating? No, no, no, no...We're gonna get those stats eventually, we're just speeding up the process a little.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 10:44 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
You all know that re-rolling is cheating right? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Or what do you think Bungleau?
Willow? Nay! Even if you back up a few years ago, when we rolled by hand, and recorded on paper we were allowed more than one roll. So, by limiting yourself to a rule that is not even an antiquated one is not good RPG etiquette. But I could be considered the extremist in this faction. However, my limited knowledge in software algorthymes allows me to understand that when playing a RPG you are allowing yourself to be fed and lead down the path. Therefore, I choose which one and how much I'll take.

Radek, your answers are always clear and thought provoking. I wish I had recorded the original numbers for Felix, but the next time I pull out the game I will use your theory.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cheating, Willow? I don't think so. It's more like you're interviewing a cast of characters, deciding who's going to get the job. Especially since to re-roll, you have to start over.

It passes my "fairplay" checks [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
eddie-c
Dungeon Master

The char i got 17 points to assign on was a female gourka warrior.

And just gotten the highest hp increase i've ever seen - 23.
(Sure wouldn't mind that kind of increase for my po widdle rat)
eddie-c is offline   Reply With Quote