Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-19-2001, 04:42 AM   #1
DaFirm19_Inch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there anything to protest urself from a imprisment spell? or anything to counter it?
Old 11-19-2001, 04:46 AM   #2
peipei_lin
The Magister

Read the stats for imprisonment, pal...(if you have ToB)
It says "no saving throws..."

That means, in theory, not a single chance when imprisonment is cast on you. You probably can try to hit the mage if you can...

[I might be wrong...keep asking, don't give up ]
Never will the reality be more grander then dreams...<br />Thats why many people fail. Then again, to those who succeed, they must had dreamed as well...<br />The world is of 2 equal planes, the one we are in, is the one of opposite that is opposite to our plane. It is seemingly difficult to understand, buy would anyone notice? <br /><br />---so sayeth the God of Wisdom<br /> Windspear
Old 11-19-2001, 04:54 AM   #3
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I think Protection from Magic Scrolls will work. Also Beserkers are immune when enraged.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-19-2001, 05:08 AM   #4
Whailor

There is no natural resist or saving throw against it, but that's why I also choose the Berserker: they are immune to that and many others, while Enraged. Really handy.

I am not very "at home" when it comes to spells, but the Chaotic Commands also gave some resistances, similar to Enrage, however, as I said, I don't remember the details and it may not give perhaps the immunity to that.

And frankly this is one of the weaknesses in BG games: they (Bioware) claim that the chars who join and walk with you have the mind of their own, and may disagree and leave you. Yet when your main char gets waxed, be it spell or combat, and everyone else is alive, they act like mindless blithering fools and the game ends? Whatta?? Weren't they supposed to have a mind of their own? Least they could do is to finish the current fight and walk to the bloody temple, and resurect me; or do it on the spot. But no... "Mind of their own", bah!

Speaking of which.. I downloaded some fixes and improvements from Baldurash, and I saw something interesting. There's the spell called Maze, and if I am correct, when my main char got hit by it, the game used to be over as well. However, now I have had my main char Mazed 2 times (one from a trap what a slacker Yoshi didn't detect; another from some lich somewhere, when my Enrage dropped), and each time the game has moved on. After some time, like minute or so in real life, the main char has popped back out and was fine. Just what is needed! So either this was a fix from Baldurash's page, or I was really unlucky previous times, when Maze ended my game heheh..
Old 11-19-2001, 08:32 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Berserker Rage, Protection from magic Scroll, Shield of the Archons... there are several ways to protect yourself from the Imprisonment Spell. Ask Dundee, I believe he has a more or less complete list somewhere.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:01 PM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Berserker Rage (Not barbarian rage)
Minsc's Beserk
Protection from undead (will make liches and demi-liches ignore you)
Spell Immunity - Select Abjuration - best bet for mages
Spell trap (will absorb about 3 imprisionment spells until you're boned - use staff of the magi for this one)
Magic Resistance does not affect this spell

Whailor,
Maze should never have ended the game when cast on your main character unless you were playing a solo game. Imprisionment yes, maze no [img]smile.gif[/img] Maze will simply cause the character to become lost within a maze, depending on their level to determine how long it takes them to find their way out. Imprisionment locks them in a stone room deep below the surface, and release can only be found through the powerful 9th level mage spell freedom.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:08 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Jim,

Maze can "end" the game for your PC, **IF** you are a considerable distance from the rest of your party. This happened to me in the beholder dungeon. I left the NPC's in my party at the entrance while my Paladin PC was trying to clean out the beholder dungoen. When the elder orb mazed my PC, he was "killed". OUCH!!!
Old 11-19-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
Jim
Quintesson

Hi Magness,

I know the elder orb which you mean, it's in the bottom right corner of the beholder city. I'm 99% sure that he uses imprisionment, not maze, as I too have had my character imprisioned there and the game ended. Maze should not end your game while you've got NPC's. Reason being you've still got characters to control while your character finds his/her way out the maze *without* magical assistance.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Jim ]

Old 11-20-2001, 12:13 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Maze != Imprisonment

Maze: 8th level Mage Spell, can be resisted by Magic Resistance, belongs to the school of Conjuration/Summoning.

Effects temporary( you will pop back into existence after a while), so long as your main character is not soloing, being Mazed will not end your game. If you are soloing however, then it is hasta ala vista baby for you when you get Mazed.

Imprisonment: 9th level Mage Spell, ignores Magic Resistance, belongs to the school of Abjuration.

Effects permanent, can only be freed by using the 9th level Mage spell, Freedom. It is game over for you also if your main character gets Imprisoned.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

How to avoid Imprisonment... ...

Spell Immunity
Berserker's Rage
Minsc's Berserker's Rage
Shield of the Archons
Protection from Magic scroll
Spell Trap

Additional way for Kangaxx the Demi-Lich

Protection from Undead scroll
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Elder Orbs cast Imprisonment, not Maze.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-20-2001, 07:32 AM   #10
Whailor

While I know that I haven't got all the items there are in BG2, I still never saw such a shield in BG2: SoA - "Shield of the Archons". Is it some ToB item?

As for Maze, as I said, I cannot recall if I had died to it or not. The spell what was shot at my char was like 4 closing in walls (like some jail cell bars heh) and then pop! Main char was gone. When I first time played it, this is how my game ended in the Planar Sphere, when that pesky rabid halfling cast that same spell on me - I saw those "bars" close around my main char, then wham! He was gone, the control panel and char portraits also were gone and soon I saw the well familiar movie with the buttons "Load" or "Cancel". I never play solo (as with just 1 char) because I would miss on LOADS of quests like this and why the heck would I want that. My group was fighting the other halflings there, main char went after the caster because the darn caster was rude.

When I now again suddenly saw those "bars" close in on my char, I was like thinking "Darn! Why I didn't save the game lately, last save I did was 1 hour ago, good thing I have tad fresher autosave". But to my pleasant surprize the game didn't end and soon enough my main char popped out, stripped of every buff which still should have been on. Not to mention he was also short of 5 HP what the Helm of Balduran gives. Just as if he was resurrected or something.. Go figure..