Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-16-2001, 08:12 PM   #1
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

- Warning, some text below might reveal mild spoilers -

I've decided to restart a new game eventhough I am not even finished with the original one. I was wondering, since I obviously know what happens with Yoshimo and that I've never been too impressed with Jaheira's skils (at Chapter 6, I'm still not impressed at all by her). What would happen if I decided to leave both Mincs and Jaheira in their prison and weaver off Yoshimo? I like Mincs, no doubt he's quite a potent fighter, but I've decided on a totally different route this time. My main caracter being a Kensai (18/94 ST, 18 Con, 17 Dex) and yes, with those stats, he's totally mindless (8 wis, 7 int, 8 Char). I've made my Kensai a Human/Loyal Neutral (didn't want him too good or too bad).

I'm not soo sure I'll also take on Aerie this time, I really want to sleep with that female Drow without having her on my concious ;] Which, in a way, I don't see why I'd have her on my concious cause after sleeping with Aerie, she decided to dump me a while after, almost had to twist her arms so she'd stay so I decided I'd go back to quite a few days before and turn her down.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:23 PM   #2
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Jaheira is a decent tank with good healing spells. There are some good weapons open to her later on, like the Spear +3 Impaler, which does +10 to DMG. Spells like insect plague are very effective.

Also, if you plan on continuing on to ToB, the high level druid abilities are pretty awesome, too.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:40 PM   #3
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

I know but, this "patching" hability is getting tiresome. All she does is cast healing, although I must admit I don't cast healing anymore, I just sleep it off. And she'll cast off her three fire elementals. All of her combat spells have proven useless. The highest spells just won't affect 95% of the monsters out there. I'd say, that is a point that isn't too positive. I don't want a druid in my team again, I fully realize that there is that druid quest and another druid will offer himself to me but again, I think I'll accept him only for the quest. Imoen is far stronger at combat then her and the more shameful thing is that Imoen can't wear armor (unless I gave up mage spelling), so she's combating without any armor (although at -2 AC with a few articles as I gave my 50,000 gold robe to Aerie) and she'll duke it out with the biggest monsters out there.

Old 08-16-2001, 08:50 PM   #4
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Keep also in mind that Jaheira is at -7 AC (without any Drow articles). Now, a -7 AC is pretty darn impressive and still, she'll get wack real fast if she dears going hand-to-hand combat. And I fully realize she shouldn't do hand-to-hand but this is what I prefer, close battles instead of further away ones. And there, you have Imoen (I hate the dual class Mage/very weak robber) that has this -2 AC with the Cleric Stick +3/Speed 1 and she'll dish it out with a furry. Jaheira has the +4 Bone dagger. I also realize that I might not be able to kill the Shadow Dragon early on in the game without her help like I did in this one.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:40 PM   #5
trux

If your question is what would happen if you neglect to let Jaheira and Minsc out of their cells, I would assume the answer would be: nothing.

I assume they would somehow find the way out on their own after a while and never see you again.

Also, you might want to anticipate some minor difficulty getting out alone, but nothing you couldn't handle.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-16-2001, 10:01 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Jaheira's best point is the romance, due to the amount of xp you can accumulate from it. With the right equipment, she is a decent addition to the party. The fact that she gets the higher-level priest/healing spells at an earlier level than a regular cleric does. However, I still think she is a little weak otherwise. She levels slower due to multiclassing (I have the same complaint about Aerie), and she stops going up in levels in druid until ToB; this allows the other clerics to catch up with her spell-casting abilities. She may be able to summon elementals that do not turn on her, but she cannot turn undead (very useful).

A very effective combination is Anomen and Jaheira; use Anomen as the front-liner, and give Jaheira the Sling of Everard (with her dexterity, this is actually the weapon she is most effective with). Between them, they can cast all of the priest spells in the game. Anomen can blast all of the undead you run into, and Jaheira sends out the elementals to mop up what is left.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-16-2001, 11:04 PM   #7
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by trux:

Also, you might want to anticipate some minor difficulty getting out alone, but nothing you couldn't handle.
Hey... hey.. I'm not alone.. I've got my darling Imoen with me. I know she'll be gone fast by those dumb goons outside but still, she'll be by my side for a while. I know she's my sis but... man...

Old 08-16-2001, 11:12 PM   #8
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Jaheira's best point is the romance, due to the amount of xp you can accumulate from it.

I must admit I've never run into a romance with her, just don't like her attitude that much for me to have any attraction to her. I know that, on the opposite end is Aerie and she's just as... frustrating and... god if I had a lazer I'd zap her. So I prefer to be celibate this time and just sleep with whoever wants to do some nooky with me :] My aim is (shame on me) get in bed with that dominating Drow female (I wonder if you get any XP for being her sex slave?). Kidding aside, I was looking toward either a all male team or a somehwat evil team this time. Don't like Nalia and I'm afraid that, if I take her on, she'll fall for my... powerful male hormones... [sic]...

So, there I am, doing first level again and ditching Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo. I'd take Minsc on, but don't want the hampster, I just refuse to save people and have them thanking a hampster :]
Old 08-17-2001, 10:30 AM   #9
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

Nalia will only care for her subjects, not for you personally. Although she will be a faithful companion, don't expect her to get romantic - her heart belongs to her people
Old 08-17-2001, 01:25 PM   #10
oldbittercraig
Elminster

her people- her low class people. Her attitude is enough to make me want to throttle her.