Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2001, 09:35 AM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
I love acronyms . When Newcastle Polytechnic gained university status they changed their name to University of Northumbria. Their original choice of name, Central University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne was rejected for some reason.

LOL, Donut! I think that's the same reason why when North Texas State University became University of North Texas (UNT), they decided to keep their radio station's call letters KNTU rather than change them to the new acronym! (FACT).

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 11:07 PM   #22
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

UT and OU are DEFINITELY arch-rivals. I know to stay away from the Texas State Fair on Texas-OU weekend...fact, I don't even go to DALLAS on that weekend! It is hard-core rivalry there.

One of my friends here in Texas has an uncle from Oklahoma who was down visiting last year. His car was in the shop, so he borrowed his uncle's car to go out. It happened to be the night after the game that OU beat UT this last year, and there were a lot of pissed off Texans out getting drunk (or drunk already). He ended up getting jumped by 3 guys outside of a bar because they saw him get out of a car with Oklahoma plates. After they beat the tar out of him (ended up in the hospital), they trashed his uncle's car pretty bad. And they say that Texans are friendly.

Yes, I would say that this is becoming a nasty rivalry. It's only going to be worse this year; three of the top 5 in the starting polls are Big 12 schools (the Big 12 conference has Nebraska, OU, UT, and Texas A&M in it, among others). Both UT and OU are in the top 5, and a lot will be expected of both. When they meet on the field, it will be a war (both on and off the field). However, Texas A&M is not predicted to have a great team this year (sorry Moni!).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-25-2001, 12:45 AM   #23
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Nerull, sorry to hear about your friend. But y'all UT and OU fans don't have to worry about it this year...

Because the TIDE is GOING TO ROLL (at least that is the prayers is BAMA)

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 08-25-2001, 09:53 AM   #24
Moni

Nerull,
Don't apologize to me, I could care less about who betters who in sports!
I'm just there for the education.

From your story, it sounds like some Texans need some ass whoopin's!
I hope your friend is better these days!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 08-25-2001, 08:15 PM   #25
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Nerull,
Don't apologize to me, I could care less about who betters who in sports!
I'm just there for the education.

From your story, it sounds like some Texans need some ass whoopin's!
I hope your friend is better these days!

Oh, he's fine. Had some broken ribs from when they were kicking him when he was on the ground, but other than that, just some bad bumps and bruises.

Actually, sports DO make a difference in the attention received (and thereby, reputation) of that school. Do you think anyone outside of Nebraska would know about the university there if the Cornhuskers didn't have a good football team? Think of it as national advertising for the school. It also helps bring in additional dollars from extra alumni donations, advertisers and other companies (wearing Nike logos on uniforms, using certain shoes, etc.), and other sources. That's why even schools with high academic standards (who you would think would not encourage students to divide their time by participating in sports) still have athletic programs. Even if the game is not televised nationally, every time the score is given on ESPN, that is an extra "plug" for the school on national TV. In fact, it has become so high profile now that the atmosphere has become almost like the pros (they fire coaches on the drop of a hat if the team does not win immediately, additional pressure for the athletes to sacrifice all other concerns (like schoolwork), etc.). All of this, without the players getting any cut from the proceeds (and you wonder why they go pro early?).

Anyway, the point is, sports do have an effect on the school's reputation. Employers tend to look at the school names when they hire; if you didn't go to a school like Harvard, then they tend to zoom in on the schools they recognize. For example, UTSA may have a better business program than Nebraska, but employers will tend to notice the person with a business degree from Nebraska before they notice the one from UTSA, simply because the school has greater recognition. As someone who has been involved in HR departments before, I have seen this REPEATEDLY (especially when the main decision makers in the hiring process are into sports). Kinda sucks, but that's life.

------------------

Old 08-25-2001, 09:18 PM   #26
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:

Anyway, the point is, sports do have an effect on the school's reputation. Employers tend to look at the school names when they hire; if you didn't go to a school like Harvard, then they tend to zoom in on the schools they recognize. For example, UTSA may have a better business program than Nebraska, but employers will tend to notice the person with a business degree from Nebraska before they notice the one from UTSA, simply because the school has greater recognition. As someone who has been involved in HR departments before, I have seen this REPEATEDLY (especially when the main decision makers in the hiring process are into sports). Kinda sucks, but that's life.
Oh most definitely! I got immediate respect for just my presence at job interviews simply because of the level of the schools I have attended for technical instruction! It would not have mattered had I flunked out as long as it was written on my application! It suprised me but at the same time, it didn't.
I think people of that "how important you are by what school you attended" need a serious reality check but unfortunately, it is not going to happen on a large scale level in our lifetime.
I know I'll get more recognition for having Texas A&M on my degree than just Palo Alto...I also think it sucks for people who graduated from Palo Alto prior to the merger since they are left with a less "distunguished looking" degree.
I do have to admit however, that if they had not merged with Texas A&M, I would have done the 2+2 program and graduated from UTSA.
It looks kind of hypocritical for me to say this but it is how I feel...Its not really where you study that counts but how you apply that knowledge after you graduate. I just have the advantage of being able to graduate from a better known university and I am not going to let that option pass me by.
Overall, I think it is pretty stupid to overlook where someone studied when schools that specialize in certain fields don't get priority over those with the better sports programs!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Old 08-25-2001, 10:49 PM   #27
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
It looks kind of hypocritical for me to say this but it is how I feel...Its not really where you study that counts but how you apply that knowledge after you graduate.
Yes, but the key is actually getting the opportunity to apply that knowledge, which you will have much less chance of if you go to the lesser-known school.

You are doing the right thing. Besides, Palo Alto didn't have the greatest program before; merging with Texas A&M will not only increase its reputation, it will also increase the quality of its programs (mostly under mandate by the regents of the A&M system).

Are you starting this fall? My first class is Monday!

------------------

Old 08-25-2001, 11:03 PM   #28
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Yes, but the key is actually getting the opportunity to apply that knowledge, which you will have much less chance of if you go to the lesser-known school.

You are doing the right thing. Besides, Palo Alto didn't have the greatest program before; merging with Texas A&M will not only increase its reputation, it will also increase the quality of its programs (mostly under mandate by the regents of the A&M system).

Are you starting this fall? My first class is Monday!

Too true! Getting a degree from a higher recognized school does pay off in the end and yes, Palo Alto's 3rd and 4th year programs for education are straight out of Texas A&M and are of a much higher quality than they used to be when they were just Palo Alto's.
I start Monday too
I'm getting up at 5:00 a.m. for the first time in almost ten years LOL.
Its going to be a whole new life.

------------------

Old 08-26-2001, 02:01 AM   #29
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:

I start Monday too
I'm getting up at 5:00 a.m. for the first time in almost ten years LOL.
Its going to be a whole new life.
Wait until you get to finals!

------------------

Old 08-26-2001, 02:04 AM   #30
Moni

AAAGGGGHHHHH! I got more grey hair just reading that!!!

------------------