Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
DBear
Drow Warrior

I held off on getting it do to bad reviews and general perceived bugginess, but I can pick it up now for $10 at Gamespot. Anyone know if the bugs have been fixed? Is it actually worth $10?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Sir D - responses like that don't really help inform or rationalise the reasoning process do they? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'd pay $10 AUS for it brand new, definitely. All depends how much a fan you are of AD&D products I suppose, which would be the deciding factor in the end for how much you'd be willing to pay. Bargain bins might have it cheaper, obviously.

If you're in doubt, be sure to check out some of the threads on the game here. I know guys like Lucern, Betelgeuse and a few other turn based fans had fun with it...just be sure to have the latest patches.

I'm yet to find it locally where I live at a cheap price, but as a long term cRPG AD&D freak, I'd try it out at least, what's a few lousy bucks?
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I love D&D RPGs, but even with the patches this game was never fixed properly. But as CerebroDragon points out, for $10 go for it.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I got it for free and still couldn't stand playing it...
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
Sir Degrader

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Sir D - responses like that don't really help inform or rationalise the reasoning process do they? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Cerebro, the less said about that horrific failure of a computer game, the better.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

as he said, i got it cheap and enjoyed it enough. the turn based system was decent - even included initiative order. the radial menus took some getting used to. i didn't encounter many bugs. got through it twice ok. maybe i just have a hard time disliking things but for the first 3.5 game i thought it was good.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Betelgeuse, did you have any issues in the Fire Node? Did they fix it via patch? That was one of the worse, if not the worse, bugs in the game. By the way this game had well over 200 documented bugs and counting. Atari's official forum lists them.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
the mighty stamar

i played this game pretty much all the way through. the dungeon has 3 levels and you finish the game on the 2nd level

after i had 'won' i didnt check out the other level because it was mind numbingly boring.

the content in this game is comparable to about um 1/10 or less of an infinity engine game. I mean not the first city area not the first chapter not much at all. It is an area without really a story... there are two cities with people who have nothing important to say, an area to kill a cleric and 3 levels of dungeon. Thats it thats all there is. and to describe the dungeon in comparable terms to say ... well say the warrens level of planescape torment because ive been thinking about that game. Well the entire toee dungeon is about 1/4 the size of the warren dungeon in planescape torment. like take one of the areas out of that, like one area you need four keys you fight one boss there are a few small stories none of them even as good. I mean that is the whole game of toee it doesnt add up to one chapter of planescape torment.... one area within a chapter. I mean it doesnt even really cover that much lol like pick out say the undead area of the warrens, theres much more going on just in there than toee.... anyhow im belaboring the point.
the combat is much more time consuming which is why it will take you maybe 20 hrs to beat the first time. Most of your time in the game will be fighting random monsters in a screen.

10$ is a tough call. It is interesting actually making your characters and i believe there is a fan mod coming out someday with more content. I would describe this game as mostly an engine with possibly what you would call a demo included.
edit i did not care about the bugs that much
I did have to play the game around the fire node room

[ 12-25-2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
Sir Degrader

Well, if you get a frog to latch onto your character, it looks absolutely HILARIOUS, so I'd get it then, to whoever else may be watching this thread.