Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-10-2001, 11:10 AM   #1
RumbleCat
Welcomed New User

Greetings to all out there in BG2 land

A quick question...will points in Two Handed Weapon proficiency benefit the wielder of a long bow? I can't seem to find a definitive answer elsewhere on the board.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2001, 11:33 AM   #2
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Two-handed weapon skill is applied to melee weapons, such as dual-wielding a short sword and a long sword, and has no effect on bows. If you want to master long bows, fill up your "longbow" proficiency.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:36 AM   #3
Charlie
Lord Ao

I can't find anything specific regarding this but I would say no. A bow in itself is not a two handed weapon per se. Yes I know that one hand holds the bow whilst the other loads and pulls the string. The difference really is the fact that the bow is a ranged weapon. 2H weapon style grants a bonus because a shield isn't used in melee combat as I understand it. Seeing as the bow is ranged and not wielded as say a sword is I think the answer is no. Basically to my mind, any Tom, Dick or Harry could pull a bow string and point it in the general direction of an enemy from distance whereas a 2H sword means getting up close and personal to an enemy with little personal defense save your proficiency in the weapon. I could well be wrong but that's my take on it. You could check for yourself of course by having the "to hit" rolls displayed and see if a critical occurs with a bow on a roll of 19.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:53 PM   #4
Amber Shadow Mage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Two handed weapon proficiency relates to two handed weapons :2handed swords, halberds, etc, etc.
Two weapon style is two weaons: sword and dager, sword and mace, etc, etc.

------------------
Don't forget to wear a helmet.
Old 04-10-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
Jasonexus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I never understood why rangers are given a two-handed specialty. Because you can't equip the second weapon when a bow is equiped. It seams like a waste.
Old 04-10-2001, 04:41 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonexus:
I never understood why rangers are given a two-handed specialty. Because you can't equip the second weapon when a bow is equiped. It seams like a waste.
In PnP D&D, Rangers required a high Dex score, which allowed dual-wield ability. Rangers were also not allowed to wear heavy Armor of any kind, or use shields, so the dual-wield was supposed to help your AC in combat.

------------------
The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-11-2001, 09:55 AM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Welcome Rumblecat!

------------------
Buy high, sell low - I always say!