Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-02-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
Colin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I didn't see this posted previously so I thought I'd share:

It seems there is a small bug with the merchant at the Temple of Sekolah. She will buy your weapons/armor/scrolls for more than she will sell them to you. One could just keep buying & selling the same item until you had all the gold you need (if you needed more gold).

I'm running BGII v1.1.1 for MacOS X.

-Colin.

[ 01-02-2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Colin ]
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:55 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

What kindof charisma and rep do you have ??
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:59 AM   #3
Colin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My reputation is 20, and the guy doing the talking has a 17 charisma. I don't think that's unusual in any way and I can't do this at any other shop I know of.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:09 AM   #4
Jim
Quintesson

Yep, this most certainly is a bug. Although I admit to finding it and exploiting it on more than one occasion! Seems to me like they've mixed up the merchant/customer prices, so you get all the profits .
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:19 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

What is the point of losing time exploiting a bug when you can simply use the cheat console to give you money?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:31 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
What is the point of losing time exploiting a bug when you can simply use the cheat console to give you money?
Because using the Console is cheating, using a non-fixed bug is strictly legitimate (until it is identified as a bug and fixed as such).
BUT, I don`t think it`s a bug.
The money *you* can sell things for varies as the merchant - same merchant = constant money you get for selling something.
The money the merchant sells things to you for varies inversely as your reputation and Charisma. The higher your reputation and Charisma, the lower the item prices will be.

High rep and high charisma lead to rather low prices that you buy things for, the price you sell things for stays the same.
So, with a high enough reputation and charisma, you can buy things for a lower price than what the merchant wants to get them back. Being able to bargain well will let you convince someone to literally give you all their money
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

It is a bug and it is fixed by baldurdash

and if you really need money and dont want to cheat you can also (with a high enough rep and cha) buy throwing daggers which come in pack of 10 and sell them 1 dagger at a time

[ 01-02-2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 01-02-2003, 07:05 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
It is a bug and it is fixed by baldurdash

and if you really need money and dont want to cheat you can also (with a high enough rep and cha) buy throwing daggers which come in pack of 10 and sell them 1 dagger at a time
Is it actually a bug? I often run a fighter type with very high charisma (blade of roses/ ring of human whatever) and this has happened in 4 places. 1 the above shark city. 2. a temple on the spellhold island. 3. the suldaneeser temple elf. and a merchant in the underdark.
note it never happens more than once a game, sometimes none. I suspect this is a delibrate part of the game. Maybe the code crunchers out there can tell us the excact trigger?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:15 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

IMHO, it is completely legitimate to think that with your wonderful charisma, god-child nature, and a high reputation (20 = reputed throughout the land as much as anyone can possibly be) then you could find at least one shop owner who would sell things to you for less than he would buy them from you.

In fact, I would assert that, aside from the shopkeeper repeating this same action ad nauseum til he is flat broke, it is the *game* cheating to NOT have such a situation somewhere in the land.

BTW, I think it's quite the suspension of disbelief to think that any ole shopkeeper peedling short swords and cornnuts has an infinite amount of money with which to purchase your 25 +3 long swords and 12 +2 chain mails.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

A real shopkeeper would not buy back an item he just sold you if it would mean losing money. And he certainly won't do it 100 times in a row. If he wanted to reward you, he would have given you free money.

Merchant:"You are not satisfied with one of my item? Well, todays only, return it back and I will buy it at 150% of the retail price! You can even buy it back again after that and turn it back again!"

Same thing for shopkeeper buying something you just stole from them.

Merchant:"OH! What a coincidence! I have the exact same weapon! I thought it was unique! Of course I'll buy it!

Wow! You have another! I'll take it too!

(6 hours later)

And wow! a 500th one! I want it! too..."