Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 07-16-2002, 04:33 AM   #1
Colin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've come across a few warded chests which can't be picked, bashed, or opened with a knock spell.

Does this mean there are keys that I'm supposed to find somewhere or is there a technique for opening a chest that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Colin.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:12 AM   #2
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

The only one that I distinctly remember is the one in Durlag's "Basement", and you need to find a key to open that desk/chest. But now that I think about it, I do remember a few other warded chests. I think I just ignored them. I have never tried this but maybe a dispell magic would un-ward those chests??
Old 07-16-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
Colin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've tried Dispel Magic /near/ the chest (since it can't be cast directly on them for some reason) but to no avail.

I think you might mean the chest in the basement of the Duchal Palace, not Durlag's, but I haven't been to Durlag's so I'm not sure. They even make a point of playing a video showing all the treasure in the basement of the Duchal Palace. I've tried pickpocketing Belt and his wife and searched the rest of the palace for a key. Again, no luck.

Perhaps the purpose of the basement comes up later in the plot. I believe the basement of the Duchal Palace is also used as a training map in BG-II.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:04 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

This is a bug.

There are a few other of those chests out there--my own theory about this is that the designers forgot to assign a "baseline" value to those locks (You know, the number that dictates how high a Thief's Pick Locks score has to be to open it), and so the computer doesn't know what to do with it and gets thrown into a tizzy. Why this would block a Knock spell, I don't know, but it seems a plausible theory.

Heinrich was talking about the chest in Durlag's as the only "un-openable" container that actually DID have a key.

I couldn't open the one in the Duchal Palace either, by any means--until I installed ToSC. From then on, normal Lock Picking did the job. One could argue that those chests are un-openable because of high-level magical wardings, or extremely intricate locking mechanisms, but then we would expect to see those unopenable locks in really high-security areas, like the Flaming Fist compound or Ramazith's Tower. Instead, we find them in out-of-the-way places, like the Nashkel Barracks.

There's also an unopenable DOOR in BG City, but that's not a bug, it's a plot device. (The front door of the Merchant League HQ)