Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Default Not Sleeping

Alright, as I'm typing this is it about half five in the morning.

I've had bouts of sleeplessness in the past, usually just a few days (although there was that week where I didn't sleep about two years ago) but they usually don't last very long. Over the last six months though, I've started sleeping less.
Currently, I haven't had a good nights sleep in about four days. This seems to happen every other week (ie, I'll have a week where I sleep fine, then a week where I don't sleep).

A while ago, I could understand why this happened, because for various reasons I was under a lot of stress, but now I'm not. Things are going my way. I'm overall, happy with myself. I don't get why I'm not sleeping.

I've tried most things short of drugs, including relaxing music, meditating, going for a run to tired myself out, and yes, warm milk (and I hate warm milk).

Just felt the need to moan about this, it is driving me slowly mad.

/rant

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Default Re: Not Sleeping

just going for a run isnt going to cut it.
Id say the best way is to do long moderate workout. Something like walking or riding a bicycle for 4 or so hours.
If that doesnt work, my girlfriend almost always gets knocked out after a few rounds of....well you know. So just find a partner for that and do it till ya drop.
Do you generally sleep on a regular schedule? I find that once i get used to a set time to go to sleep that even if im not really tired at that hour just laying down will put me out since my body is used to it.
Last tip....cut the sugar and caffiene from your diet entirely if you havent already.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielles blades View Post
just going for a run isnt going to cut it.
Id say the best way is to do long moderate workout. Something like walking or riding a bicycle for 4 or so hours.
If that doesnt work, my girlfriend almost always gets knocked out after a few rounds of....well you know. So just find a partner for that and do it till ya drop.
Do you generally sleep on a regular schedule? I find that once i get used to a set time to go to sleep that even if im not really tired at that hour just laying down will put me out since my body is used to it.
Last tip....cut the sugar and caffiene from your diet entirely if you havent already.
Caffine is cut out entirely, not much sugar either.

Now you come to mention it, the best nights sleep that I have is at the weekends at uni when my boyfriend is round... Heh heh.

I don't have a very regular schedule for sleeping. I used to, but that's all gone out of the window lately.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

As far as drugs go, regular ole' Benedryl is an excellent choice...it's actually the same stuff that they sell as an over-the-counter sleep aid, and it only gently coaxes you in the right direction...I've used it a couple of times before, although typically, I stay awake because there's just so much interesting stuff to do...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Kezardin
Elminster

One suggestion I heard recently was to slow your breathing when trying to sleep. Slowly count to 8 while you inhale, then again slowly count to 8 while you exhale.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

OK being a shift worker I am somewhat of an expert, and every 2 years or so we get a refresher course in sleep management. I wont bore you with the ful details but some of the 'winners' are ...

Bedroom should be for sleeping (and erm other activities ) and sleeping only. get rid of the tv, and other distractions. keep the bedroom very dark and your mind will train itself over a period to associate the bedroom with sleep.

Do not force sleep, you can not force it successfully. If you are not asleep after a while, get up and do something quite, like reading, until you are tired and then return to the bedroom.

Exercise is your friend, a tired body helps the mind to sleep.

Matress, you spend 1/3 of your life on it - so make sure it is a very good one. I can not stress this enough. A mattress that is 'allright' or 'not bad' is NOT good enough.

White noise ... ( a sure fire winner with me, but not for everyone) is useful if your mind is spinning at a million thoughts per second. Get your alarm clock radio turned on very low, NO - lower than that - even lower - to a boring talk back nil music station till you have to strain to listen to it. turn of the light snuggle in and listen - remember this is lower than whisper quite - eventually you will slip into sleep and the noise will not bother you and will help block out other house noises.

I have many other tips, ask or pm me for more.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

As another shift worker, I'll second everything wellard just said.

I like a fan set on low (or faster, if traffic noise is bad) for my white noise -- radio's annoying.

Also, alcohol never hurts
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Wellard,
Bore her with the details; it will put her to sleep!

I recommend you pass on the alcohol, and whatever else you have been doing in the past. It probably has a lot to do with what got you hear.

You can only abuse yourself for so long before your body starts to react to it.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
You can only abuse yourself for so long before your body starts to react to it.
Now you tell me!

I've sent DS some more details - so she can fall asleep while reading them

but one VERY important one i missed out on in the above list for everyone else's benefit is Daylight.

Real sunlight on your skin helps you sleep at night, now this is a proven medical fact, something to do with chemical production in your body - refer the interwebbygoogly thing for more details

Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

oh yes BTW

The irony of me posting this at 4.00 in the morning because i can not sleep is not funny

( I have a cold )