Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
farl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Some time ago there was a nice thread in this forum about favourite voices and characters to pair them with. That made me curious about the various accents and their origins. Because english is not my mother tongue, it is difficult for me to clearly identify them. Obviously the male aggressive ("there are two kind of people, hunters and their prey") is french, and the burly male ("'tis wits not strength that makes a solid lad") appears to be scottish, but I can not beyond that. I wonder if the female intellectual(?) voice ("I prosper with the will of destiny.") has a russian or german accent? There seem to be some voices with an italian accent ("just don't put it in a writing").

Any opinions or comments on the various voices?

By the way, I like the idea of having a suitable voice as part of a charcacter in a role playing game, and SirTech has done a remarkable good job on this. I only regret that there are "only" 18 options for each gender.
farl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Yeah, the voices are great [img]smile.gif[/img] I think the female intellectual sound pretty indian to me (I've met a lot of english speaking indians in my year of abroad study in the US), just quite a bit more clearly spoke, probably with a tad of german

Cheers,
Philipp
Old 06-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

One of the female voices - complains about marriage/husband - is American southern. Another female voice, the "prosper" one, is, I think, meant to sound something like Natasha (Russian) from the old "Rocky & Bullwinkle" cartoon show.

Two other voices - one male, one female - are meant to be Oriental, either Chinese or Japanese, not sure which (or maybe one each). "Who can clear the muddy water" is the male, and (one of my favorite lines) "Life is short, and I just made it much shorter" is the female.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

One of the aggressive female voices ("Zhere vill be many implements of destruction at my disposal, ja?") is meant to sound German, I'd say. That soundset seems to be specifically tailored for valkyries.

[ 06-29-2005, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
JOE030303
The Magister

that one may also be swedish (viking?)ja?
JOE030303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Possibly, though to my European ear ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) she sounds more German than Swedish, Norwegian or Danish. Furthermore, the way she sings a rather clear, 'operaic' note when hit with a fear effect leads me to believe that the developers got at least a small part of their inspiration from Wagners (= German) opera Der Ring des Nibelungen, which is themed with Germanic/Scandinavian mythology, one of the characters in it is a valkyrie.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hmm I like that one for a female Gadgeteer myself, then I know she really will have many "instruments of destruction at her disposal, yaaa"