Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
squee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I started bg2 before bg1 and am now finding the original quite hard i was wondering if any one had any ideas for a starting character
thanx squee
squee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:17 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I find myself having an easier time using paladins or rangers during BG1, the bonus to saving throws helps a bit for paladins and they both have class specific benefits that can be helpful.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 12:17 AM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Squee, magic is cool, but in BG1 warriors are more powerful. If you intend to export to BG2 choose a wizard, if not, i would choose a warrior.

PS: Squee, i guess you play magic ?? Please check the Polls forum, i posted a poll about magic TG

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 12:19 AM   #4
Mirror
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In general, fighter classes are easier to start with, since they have higher initial hitpoints and can bring down most opponents with the standard hack&slash method. In contrast, my lvl 1 thief has to run rings round them while pelting them with missiles just to bring them down. Ditto for mages (although they have Magic Missiles and other spells to draw on).

In the beginning stages of the game, try to fill up your party with enough fighters/thieves (especially since you're starting with lvl 1 characters), so that normal combat and dungeon exploration won't be a problem. Mages, and their spell-casting abilities, will be essential in the later parts of the game when they gain access to more powerful spells. Since you've already played BG2, I don't think I have to say much more .
Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

wizards are hard to start, if you want a wizard I recomend a Conjuror(you get a bonnus spell to start), since you can exploits Bg1 weakness. The only real good spell you will be missing out on is Identify but a conjuror can use the scroll in Bg1 and once your in bg2 the glasses of ident compensates it. Plus a conjuror can easly learn summon spells wich In bg1 are like gold since you can call on wave after wave of creatures (not 5 like in bg2).

rangers, Paladins, Clerics are abit easyer since they can fight, For a first time Bg1 I recomend a cleric personaly.

Thieves are hard and abit pointless since you get Imoen who is a great thief. If you play a thief I recomend you dual-class imoen in a conjuror at lv2 or 3

bards, are the chalenge I did bg1 with a bard not the easyest thing but it's worth the chalange.
Strahd Von Zarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 01:19 AM   #6
Aurican
Elminster

Elven rangers are better than all the rest. Well, I like them, I suppose it depends on your playing style, I like to sneak around but enjoy the independence of using whatever armour or weapons I like. Being able to charm animals is good too. Besides, in BGII rangers get druid spells after level 8 I think.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote