Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi All.

1 - I have the mask for Strohm's? tomb. Is this what allows me into Firkragg? (I've beaten him so can I dump the mask?...or do I need to find the tomb itself?...Also the prison keys.

2 - I have the D'Arnise keep key...do I need it? I've cleared it and own the keep.

Also I have a mountain of junk? How much do I need to keep?

Montarons Body.
A dessicated hand.
Dog Bones.
Wooden stakes.
Jaheiras hair. (Removed curse and she's ok)
Red rag. (From murders...disposed of bloke it came from)
Tome and Symbol of Amaunator. (Can't remember how I got em)
Book of Strohm.
Book of Orcish cooking.
Lellyns Journal.
Umar witch project book.
Samias key.
add infinitum

Also, does anybody actually get more than 3 hp on level up? I always accept what I get anyway, but I'd be interested to know. My party are all level 11 or 12ish. No spellcaster has ever received more than 1 point on level up and my fighters have had either 1 or 3 points...no more. Have I been unlucky, my party ranges between 104 hp down to 47. (I'm only on chapter 2, does this make a difference?)

Last question (for now).

In the sewers to the mindflayers and Ilithirids? I open the door and WHACK...game over, reload... Gissa hint someone.

Many Fanx.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:29 PM   #2
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

What I've done with all those leftover quest items is to place them in a trunk or two in whatever keep I am master of - D'Arnise, Theives Guild, Playhouse - whatever.

I have a similar question regarding the Illithids in the sewers - are they part of a quest that I haven't found for some reason? What are they there for?
Old 01-04-2001, 06:34 PM   #3
Ertai, Wizard Adept

1.- You should use the mask as a helm to see the last guardian (fire elemental) that otherwise is invisible. Also you can use it with a mage or thief cause it protects you against critical hits.

2.- Are you a warrior ?? If you have the castle as your stronghold maybe you´ll need it (i dont know, never played as a fighter). Otherwise keep it with the junk

3.- JUNK JUNK JUNK. But i cant understand Montarons body. The way ive always completed Xzars quest was getting the bird and then the bird shaped to assasin and killed Xzar. Does monty appear later in the game ?? (im still in chapter 5 with my sorceror and chapter 2 with my own MP party)

4.- Read the manual. Once your characters reach a certain level (cant remember which) they only get 1-3 hp.

5.- You´re asking how to kill mindflayers ?? Well, I still am wondering how did I kill them. No, seriously, try to get them out of their room in small groups (staff of the magi helped me a lot to do this). Then in pairs or singlely they´re easy.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:37 PM   #4
NytesHalo

Personally I just got rid of the junk stuff once it was no longer needed. Just took up space anyway. As far as you 3, 1 etc hp per level, well that is actually part of the AD&D rules. After 9 level you longer roll on HP and just get the set amount of HP per level which is why in the books after level 9 it lists as
Level 10 HD 9+3
level 11 HD 9+6
and so on. just keeps adding 3 every level. As far as illithids, hmm try summoning a lot of creatures and keep them near the door, then hide in shadows one of your characters and go open the door and run like hell before you go visible again. I usually do this with any door where I know there is a lot of bad stuff on the other side. your hidden character usually has long enough to run out of view before becoming visible, and the summoned creatures are the ones to take the damage. What you do after that, well you can prolly figure something out

Old 01-04-2001, 06:41 PM   #5
Dragos

Montoran's body is still in there because the bird you bring back isn't him- it's a harper going to kill Xzar or whatever his name is. I've never used his body for anything- I just dumped it into a chest in the D'Arnise hold (I'm warrior, it's mine!!!!) But I carried it through the game for two times and never found a use for it. Sorry.

Old 01-04-2001, 07:10 PM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks Guys.

Ertai, I returned to the Harper stronghold on request of someone. Something happened and I bashed up the bloke and his firm. Upstairs in a chest that I couldn't formerly open I found Montarons body. I too am on chapter 2, I've been doing untold quests though. I am a fighter btw.
The fire elemental, re the mask....Is it worth going back and topping him? Will I get something out of it?

Dragos, cheers, yes Xzar went west a long time ago. I'd like to give Montaron a good send off though...oh well.

Regarding the hp...thanks, I knew there had to be a reason...pleased I didn't try reloading on level up now.

These wooden stakes that you can buy still bug me, why flog em if they're useless. Also the dessicated hand from the graveyard (I think)...strange.

The mindflayers and their mates I'm still working on.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:49 PM   #7
Curdis

Montarons Body. - Don't know
A dessicated hand. - Part of the Copper Corronet Sewers riddle (ONLY thing I am sure isn't junk).
Dog Bones. - Junk
Wooden stakes. - Hint Buffy(TV not BGII) uses them.
Jaheiras hair. (Removed curse and she's ok) - Sentimental value?
Red rag. (From murders...disposed of bloke it came from) - Junk
Tome and Symbol of Amaunator. (Can't remember how I got em) - Store the Symbol (but I think it is junk)
Book of Strohm. - Junk
Book of Orcish cooking. - Junk(?)
Lellyns Journal. - Pass
Umar witch project book. - Junk
Samias key. - If you have used it for it's proper purpose - Junk.

Mind Flayers at low charactor levels (esp sewers) - open door with hasted character who has chaotic commands cast on them have mage with WAND of cloud kill (well back from door) cast into room. After spell 'ball' pases doorway SHUT door. Repeat as necessary. - Curdis

Old 01-04-2001, 10:33 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Spoiler!!!

I have just completed the mindflayer area in underdark with ease. I have a more straightforward way of killing them mindflayers. With the talking sword Llilarcor you are immune to confusion and charm, so I had my undead hunter equipped with it and cast a chaotic command on Korgan or used a potion you get there ,and attacked. Korgan gets attacked by 3 monsters while my undead hunter takes out the rest of them. To make this work you have to have pretty good ac, but since you have killed some drows you will have their armor (which is very good armor). My characters were at level 13-15 at this time.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:37 PM   #9
Flamearrow

I dont know bout the rest of the stuff but if u go down into the sewers via the coper cornet u can find 4 items, a kobolds staff, a hand (what u got), some blood from the carrion crawler and a ring from some skeletons. then go down until u find some pipes. stick the items in the pipes in this order, from the left, pipe 3, pipe 1, pipe 2. pipe 4. U get a two handed sword plus either 2 or 3. it is really annoying because it talks to u!! Argh. anyway, its a good sword for the start of the game. I think its called lilacor

Old 01-04-2001, 10:47 PM   #10
NytesHalo

The book and symbol of Aumanator was from the Shadow Temple in the Umar Hills. Oc course if you've already killed the shade lord here they're junk too