Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-03-2001, 03:22 PM   #51
Lucre
Elminster

I'm kind of a newbie for RPG's my first was Final Fantasy 7 in 1997, then Baldurs Gate,Icewind Dale,Final Fantasy 8 and on to Baldurs Gate 2 SoA i have completed most of them.

Before RPG's i played a lot of platformers such as classics like Sonic.
Old 02-03-2001, 04:08 PM   #52
heyelander

Hey ya'll... I played a lot of first edition D&D when I was in elementary school, tried some Metamorphisis Alpha, Top Secret, and maybe a few others.

I think my first crpg was Phantasy I on a c64. the graphics were tiny black and white drawings of your party standing at the top of the screen and when they would attack they would kind of hop or stomp the ground followed by a crunching sound. If you got a good hit the crunch would be louder. Most of it was text. The Bards Tale Games were lighyears more advanced. I loved those as well as AutoDuel. Then I got my first PC-clone and played Wasteland (the orgional fall-out).

That D&D game for the intelivision was pretty cool. I hated that when you would shoot the arrow off into the dark and it would bounce back and kill you. My favorite game for the intelivision though was Utopia.

Old 02-06-2001, 06:19 AM   #53
Donut (Son of Donut)

Charlie

I've been in Enfield for 5 years - a refugee from Islington (Highbury) chased out by the chattering classes! I'll ask some of my Enfield mates about the eccentric guy.

I remember the Intellivison Utopia & boxing games, also baseball (yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrout!), football & horse racing. I miss my once a year trip to Norwood now that Wimbledon are not in the premiership. Palace cost me £150 on a bet when they beat Forest 3-0

Old 02-06-2001, 07:28 AM   #54
Charlie
Lord Ao

Donut.

Yeah, yeah I remember those now that you mention them. I liked that baseball game as it goes, and Utopia...never had the horse racing tho'. Sorry to hear about your loss there mate but these things happen. I still got a soft spot for the Arsenal as it happens...used to love them and the Eagles (Glaziers back then) when I was a kid and didn't know you were only supposed to follow one team. Frank Mclintock? Bob Wilson and Charlie George days. I used to be able to name em all, struggling to remember any of em now. Frank was captain....right?

PS...Try to remember to ask some of your muckers who've been in the area for donkeys about the eccentric and come back to me mate. I just want to confirm to myself that I wasn't seeing things....(distinct possibility back then .)
Old 02-06-2001, 07:41 AM   #55
Stealth Bomber

I actually started back in chalk and slate days of D&D 1st edition. Also played Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls and a few other more obscure ones. First computer rpg was an early text one on the BBC Micro, but I forget the name. First graphical game, Zelda, still a classic. Jesus am I really that old!!! Relic, please reply to this thread so I won't feel quite so bad

Old 02-07-2001, 05:33 AM   #56
Donut (Son of Donut)

Hi Charlie

I have the full SP on the guy you're talking about. You weren't seeing things. He stood on the junction of the A10 and Church Road (on the Edmonton side) every Sunday morning. A tall man, with long grey hair he wore a Fedora hat and a cape and was often dressed in pink (he sounds as if he would make a good NPC). He was not actually directing traffic, more waving to the cars and buses and saying hello to everyone. Unfortunately he died about 5 years ago and there was a piece about him in the local paper. He seems to be remembered with some fondness here.

The really spooky thing is that we think his name was Charlie!

Old 02-07-2001, 07:43 AM   #57
Charlie
Lord Ao

Originally posted by Charlie.
I've forgotten the pubs and even the road names now but one thing I'll never forget was that there used to be an eccentric guy who used to dress in flamboyent pink clobber and wave at the traffic on Sundays. This was in the mid eighties and it may have been the A10?... Church road is creeping into my head for some reason...oh well. You ever seen him?....fantastic smiling character, reminded me of Quentin Crisp.

Thanks for taking the time Donut...appreciated. That's a real shame if he's passed on, he was a really unusual, harmless kind of man with a broad smile. I don't know why but news of his demise has saddened me, maybe it's because the world is fast running out of original characters like this. You know, if I'd known that he was going to go I'd make a point of driving over there one last time just to see him or possibly make his acquaintance. I can picture him clearly in my minds eye now and he was not averse to chatting with people that took the time to talk to him. It suprises me not in the least that he is fondly remembered. Charlie eh, I hope Charlie knows that Charlie is thinking of him....RIP to the lovely old boy.

Thanks Donut.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:49 AM   #58
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

We started out on the Shooters, Doom, Quake, and Heretic 2, until the other half brought BG1 home. It was love at first play. We hurry up and snatch up 2 copies of everything now, so that we will have them for both of us. I've registered so many games with Black Isle now that, when I reinstalled IWD for a change of pace, I never got prompted to register. We even have Torment, but we don't play it. My PC has BG1, TOTSC, and BG2 installed, and I am anxiously awaiting the expansion for BG2. Memnoch's post on the subject of no BG3 really depressed me, but there are unofficial add ons in the works just about everywhere, so I guess I'll just have to try those. I did get TeamBG's DSOTSC, and I really enjoyed it too. I've played pnp d&d off and on for years, so I really enjoy these games.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:57 AM   #59
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Roberthebard
Have you tried Planescape Torment? It´s a great game and should be played. Well there are two more things to look forward to though, NWM for thoose who likes online gaming and IWD heart of winter, sorry three, Pool of RadienceII.