Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
Animal
Gold Dragon

DOS won't recognize anything formated with NTFS, only FAT.

As long as you don't have the game installed on an NTFS drive, you should be able to boot your computer with a DOS Boot disk and play from there.

Stick a floppy in your 3.5" drive, right click choose format and make sure the option to create a DOS BootDisk is checked.

I've replayed Bards Tale I and II, as well as StarFlight using this method. I used to think the graphics were awesome on those games.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:17 AM   #12
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Sorry for the late reply. You will need to bind the actual drive to the DOSBox or it will not recognise it.

After you have installed DOSBox,
code:
1. Start->Programs->DOSB0x-0.61
2. DOSbox.conf
3. Add the followings:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C:\ <--add this to enable read/write from Drive C:
mount E E:\ <--add this to enable read/write from Drive E:
[/QUOTE]Save the file and run DOSBox. You can now swtich from drive Z to drive C or E. Add more lines if you wish to mount more drives (for example, drive D and etc).

[edited]
Sorry about using the code tag but the post was rejected several times because "Sorry, we do not permit the following HTML tag or attribute: Parenthesis in HTML tag". Damn if I know what that error message means...

[ 06-15-2004, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

I mounted the E: Drive but it still isn't working. Either the game doesn't run with DOSBox or I did something wrong again.

AHH, TO HELL WITH IT! I really would like to see the protagonist blasting the Overseer to chunky bits but it looks like it isn't worth all this trouble. To try to fix the game for hours to play for a maximum of 2 hours.. I might as well start with Fallout 2.

Thanks to everyone who posted!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #14
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay, step by step:

1. Run DOSBox

2. ALT+Enter (to run in full screen mode)

3. E: (enter)

4. cd progra~1 (enter)

5. cd interp~1 (enter)

6. cd fallout (enter)

7. fallout (enter)

If the program says "this program cannot run in DOS mode" or something like that, means that you can only run it from Windows and find another way around the problem/bug.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #15
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

IIRC, there are two versions of the game, one for Windows and one for DOS. The Windows version isn't likely to run in DOS [img]tongue.gif[/img] You'll probably have to install the DOS version (it should say how to do just that in the manual, and mebbe in the readme file).

[ 06-15-2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 06-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
uss
20th Level Warrior

Paladin2000, I followed your instructions up to the point where I pressed 'fallout.' Then it says this:

E:\PROGRA~1\INTERP~1\FALLOUT>fallout.exe
Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

I'm so sorry to take your time like this! Really. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Grarf, there are 2 versions of the game altogether? I didn't know that, but I'll look into it!

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #17
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

dos4gw.exe is a special file needed to run games on DOS. I believe it is called a "DOS extender" which allows games to run without the 640K conventional memory limitation.

Try and search through Fallout 1 CD and see if such file exist, if you manage to locate the file, copy it to the folder where Fallout 1 is installed.

Or you could download a copy here. I hope this version would be compatible to Fallout 1.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #18
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

... or mebbe all you need is to have a copy of dos4gw.exe in the Fallout directory (can be downloaded here, fer example...).

Edit: Yeah, what Paladin said.

[ 06-15-2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 06-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #19
uss
20th Level Warrior

Eghhh..

Now it says: "Could not find the master datafile. Please make sure the FALLOUT CD is in the drive and that you are running FALLOUT from the directory you installed it to."

By the way, I could actually pass through the Military Base and enter the Cathedral. Despite the occasional crashes(in the same fashion as that Military Base crash), my game went along well. However. When I reached the Vault-like place under the Cathedral, I found out the game always crashes when I try to go to the 3rd lvl of the Vault(Again, in the same fashion!).

So I'm *really* close to the very end of the game, where the bug arises again! I'll go search some more info about it. It's a damn shame that Interplay was closed - Otherwise, I might have found the answer a long time ago.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #20
uss
20th Level Warrior

Okay, I just found out that the only way to proceed *is* to through the DOS version!

..Which means that I really do have to deal with all this! '

EDIT: Hey, I just found out that there is a DOS version of the game that I have to install. But I also found out that the problem, or at least, one of them, is that when I open a DOS file, the comp shows it for half a second, then the program just closes by itself. This happened with DOS Navigator and this happened with Install.exe, located in the CD, every time I tried to open them. I have no idea what is causing such a thing. XP?

[ 06-15-2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: uss ]