Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Does anyone out there play Diablo or Diablo II?

I am in the market for a new game, and heard about the Diablo trilogy. I had Diablo II a long time ago, but didn't have much of a chance to play it. I don't have the discs anymore. My question is.... does anyone recommend them? And if I were to take that advice and play them, should I play them consecutively?
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default Re: Does anyone out there play Diablo or Diablo II?

I haven't played the first Diablo, but I've played Diablo II and I enjoyed it very much. I've heard the first Diablo was terrible, though.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well, if you compare it against Diablo 2 and later games, Diablo is rubbish. But, for it's time, it was an awesome game. I've heard the Hellfire update/mod improved on it greatly. Still Windows 95/98 graphics though.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Target
Red Dragon

I only ever played the first Diablo, I never finished it, I remember an insane amount of left mouse button clicking. I do remember my cousin telling me how much he enjoyed Diablo 2.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Bought 1 and 2 with all expansions few years ago. Still waiting to be opened. I'd like to play it soon but I'm doing Might and Magic at the moment.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Gavindale
The Magister

Which game in the Might and Magic series? And concerning Diablo II, I am into it now, and so far it's been great! For those who play Diablo II - when I get to hire characters a little ways into the game, do they ever level up? How do I un-hire a charcter?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Gavindale
The Magister

Also, I saw that when a hired character makes a kill, I get some experience points. Now, when that happens, do I get the experience for the kill, or does the hired character get a portion of the earned experience?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Never really gave much thought to the hirelings myself. This is what I discovered on the battle.net website:

Quote:
Attributes and Experience
Hirelings in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction come with their own set of attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Health, Damage, Defense, and Experience. As Hirelings kill monsters, they gain experience points. When they gain enough experience points to reach a new level, their attributes automatically improve. You can also improve their attributes by equipping them with better equipment (see below). Keep in mind that Hirelings aren't just paid mercenaries--they are co-adventurers. They fully share experience for their kills with you, and they receive a smaller share of experience for monsters that you kill.

Mercenaries do not get experience from party member kills, but they do from your summoned monsters/characters.

Hirelings will not gain experience once they have reached your level. They will begin to gain experience again once you level up.

Hirelings might not level up very well if they are in areas where monsters are much higher in level. You might have to try different areas to find good places to level up your Hirelings. Try to keep your Hirelings near your character level. Always quickly resurrect them so that they don't fall further behind.

Hireling Levels
Hirelings cannot level past your current Character Level. The only way you can get a Hireling that is a higher level than your character is by buying one at that higher level. Hirelings at a higher level will not level up or gain experience until you catch up to their level. Often they will not level up until you level up. Once you have leveled up, they will quickly do the same, often in a few hits.

Hirelings have a maximum level of 98.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Gavindale
The Magister

Is there a recommended tactic to raising the level of the hirelings? I am about to go through the caves to the North on my way to see the Inifuss tree. Why don’t they level up well in places where the monsters/creatures are of higher level? I figured they would fight the harder enemies and in turn get a greater amount of experience. And what is the highest level a player can obtain?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

From what I've read, the maximum level in Diablo 2 with the expansion is 99.

Because of the way the maps are supposed to be randomized your caves to the North could be East in my play through.

The problem with taking your hireling into a higher level area is the risk that the monsters will swarm and obliterate them before they can gain any experience. Though unless you plan on just blitzing through the whole game, it's very unlikely that you'll run into such a situation.

Not sure if there's really a "strategy" to level up your hireling. I've found that as long as I keep their gear updated and revive them as soon as they die (return to nearest town pay the mercenary contact money) they keep level with my character pretty consistently.