Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-07-2001, 01:34 AM   #1
Epidemic
Welcomed New User

Hi guys,
I've been playing BG2 for a while, but haven't finished it or anything... I'm not very far into the game. I first tried using a Kensai, but didn't find that very effective by itself... so now I have a Monk. But since he can't wear special armor and stuff I don't know if he will be very effective later on.

I wanted to know what the best (ie., most powerful by themselves) character types are... and if it's a multi-class then when do you make the change and stuff? Thanks
Old 07-07-2001, 06:50 AM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

Monks do become very powerful later on, they cannnot ware armour but their natural ac imporves, they strike as +3 hand weapons,they become immune to normal weapons, at about 16th level they get 50% magic resistence which inceases by about 3% per level to about 74% they are immune to normal weapons at level 20 move supa fast extra Hth attacks.

A fighter dual classes to a mage at level 9 gets full level as a mage (l17)

a ranger dual classed to a cleric at level 7 gets all cleric spells including druid only ones.

and welcome to the forum as well

Old 07-07-2001, 07:37 AM   #3
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Your Monk can wear someone's armour. He/she can wear Keldorns.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:41 AM   #4
Gazza
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:

This is correct but only if your character has equal or greater stats than Keldorn but im not sure in what areas you have to match.

------------------
Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will never be defeated in a hundred battles.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:42 AM   #5
Gazza
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:

This is correct but only if your character has equal or greater stats than Keldorn but im not sure in what areas you have to match.

------------------
Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will never be defeated in a hundred battles.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:23 AM   #6
Ravana
Dungeon Master

Hi Epidemic,
welcome to the forum .
Just play with what you've got mate, thats part of the fun of the game.
Both your PC choices are pretty effective if used properly, and fun too!
However if you are playing it for the first time, going through as a plain fighter, or as a berserker is usually a good idea.
As to most powerful: fighter/mages are pretty much the way to go, dualling at level 9 if you choose a berserker kit, and perhaps level 9 or even 12 with the kensai kit. Rangers dualled to Clerics at level 9 are also pretty powerful.
Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Ravana (edited 07-07-2001).]
Old 07-07-2001, 08:36 AM   #7
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

Hi everybody!

The monk is great, but my personal favourite is the cleric/ranger. Give him the Crom Fayer and he can do anything. He can fight almost as good as a regular fighter and cast powerful priest & druid spells. He“s my guy.

------------------
Old 07-07-2001, 02:43 PM   #8
Nazgūl
Manshoon

i think mage or barbarian or skald.

------------------

and the sky will rain fire...
Old 07-07-2001, 08:01 PM   #9
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

No specific character type is "better" from the point of being the most fun to play. I like the thief subtypes, but that's just me. Backstabbing is very satisfying! And I really like infiltrating dungeons, popping off traps and bypassing locks too.

If you want the most heavily equipped type of character, you could go for a Paladin.
If you want extreme firepower, you can try a Mage.
If you are a minimalist, and are self reliant, you will eventually be happy with a Monk.
If you like sniping, try the Archer subclass of the Ranger.

But nothing compares to thievery heh heh...
Old 07-07-2001, 08:11 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Hmph dosnt like Kensai does he, I love them and even soloed one, Sorcerer are my favorite class but only if you know the spell system quite well. Anyway for the first time through a Monk isnt a bad choice and you cant really go wrong. Rangers pure class and stalkers are very good as well for beginners, for Paladins I reccomend the Inquestor. Best of luck any way.