Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Bluntly put, my computer has become stupid.

It frequently simply stops working for about 10-20 seconds. For some reason, this doesn't happen when using one browser window, but it does happen as soon as I try to open another window or use any other program, such as KaZaa and Winamp. When it happens, I can move the mouse, but nothing that I click onto responds.

I ran a virus check, which yielded no results. There aren't any suspicious processes running, according to the Task Manager.

The only suspicious thing was a custom campaign of Warcraft III, that always made my computer slightly slower afterwards, and it seemed like this lagging first appeared during playing that campaign. Due to the frenzy caused by these lags, I deleted Warcraft III off my computer, but that didn't stop them.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me any idea as to how the heck to stop these lags. They have proved to be quite tedious, modestly put.

Thanks in advance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I'll assume you ran a Spy-ware check... (If you didnt, do it NOW)
Apart from that, I have no idea what could be causing the problem.
Is your Virus scanner up to date?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
ilker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I used to have the same problem when I was using eMule. Never knew what caused it.

So I switched to DC++.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

What virus scanner and web browser are you running? MANY virus scanners (mostly commercial ones, like Norton, PC-Cillan and McAffee) take up huge amounts of system resources needlessly - and this is getting worse each year as all of them add new features that you might not want. Also, some web browsers (mainly IE, but also the MSN Browser, and some others) provide gateways for other things that will slow your computer down. Same with alot of POP/IMAP Email clients - you won't find anyone recommending Outlook Express, for example.
Which version of KaZaA? Most of them are spyware riddled, and download other spyware while your using them. IMesh is also good at this. And most of the "spyware free" versions you can get either won't work properly, or you will still get extra spyware just by being connected to their networks. KaZaA Lite/K++ works well and doesn't have the spyware, but it is rather tricky to find since KaZaA declared it a breach of their copyright.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:12 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

What do you mean by "teh" stupid?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:56 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
What do you mean by "teh" stupid?
It would seem like he means his computer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Typo

[ 11-22-2004, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-22-2004, 05:11 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

LOL! Variol...you have a lot to learn

Well uss, I think we all know you are teh stupid, for having kazaa installed. It is a thing of the past. Get yourself a copy of DC++ or Klite (although it has gone to the darkside too nowadays) and you will live happily ever after. Kazaa=pwnd!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
It is a thing of the past. Get yourself a copy of DC++ or Klite
Or Shareazaa.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 AM   #9
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

"teh" is the Malay word for the English "tea". It is also a misspelling of "the", commonly used by internet junkies for emphasis
Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
uss
20th Level Warrior

I have F-Secure Anti-Virus 2005. I always use Mozilla Firefox.

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Well uss, I think we all know you are teh stupid, for having kazaa installed. It is a thing of the past. Get yourself a copy of DC++ or Klite (although it has gone to the darkside too nowadays) and you will live happily ever after. Kazaa=pwnd!
Actually, I have KaZaALite. I didn't pay much attention to details when writing the post, hence the misunderstanding.

[ 11-22-2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: uss ]