Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

View Poll Results: Ok 'fess up time!
Um....clean..yah.. uh what's that? Can I put it in the sink? 7 21.21%
Well, I have a can of air...I think...someplace......and I opened the case up once, but the dustballs and cat hair scared me away. 4 12.12%
Every time I think of it, which is a few times a year. 15 45.45%
Routinely 2 6.06%
Other 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #21
dplax
Jack Burton

I voted for other as it isn't really easy for me to clean my laptop, so when it starts overheating I take it to a pc repair shop where they take it apart and clean it out.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #22
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
OOOh..Australia! Yah, sure, you send the tickets and I'll come with him to uh...hold the can of air... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hmm, the cost of tickets (plus the entertainment of meeting cloudy) VS the cost of a can of air (and the effort of getting off my ass). Sorry Cloudy but my cheapness wins over all [img]tongue.gif[/img] better luck next time.

Its more likely that I will turn up at your front door one day with my computer in my arms [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #23
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Only when I upgrade, which is roughly once a year.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Lord Kathen, thanks, I thought it was an interesting question, at any rate! Especially after seeing that I wasn't the only one who never cleaned the pc out and other people did! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Shadowhound... [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] Well, I'll be sure hubby has some compressed air on hand when you do and we'll let him clean things! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Never had a laptop but I'm getting the sense that they are either hard to open or just so delicate that it isn't done much.

LOL @ LB....yup...that reaction your repair guys had? That's pretty much what Nacht said when he opened mine up the first time! I believe he added "You could build a whole cat out of the hair in here!" as well... *snicker*

Bokken, how do the filters work? Are they put in behind the fans to catch dust? Does it slow the airflow at all?

[ 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #25
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Never had a laptop but I'm getting the sense that they are either hard to open or just so delicate that it isn't done much.
Yep, they arnt really delicate, but because everything is packed in, they are hard to navigate, and very different to Desktop PC's

Quote:
Bokken, how do the filters work? Are they put in behind the fans to catch dust? Does it slow the airflow at all?
Pretty sure its just a very fine mesh that prevents the entrance of dust.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #26
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Cloudy Hyvetyrant has pretty much summed it up! Check this link out and you will see what they look like somewhere along the bottom. They pretty much slide in behind your fan and although I haven't tried it on any other case, I'm pretty sure you can add them to it. Personally, when I take them out, although a light dusting will remove everything, I preffer to wash them out and let them dry for a while.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Looks simple enough. If it saves alot of debris getting into the pc, it's probaly worth the extra effort to wash them now and then [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #28
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

So what are the effects of having a dirty PC. The only thing I can think of is maybe a overheating issue. But I fell the need to clean it up now.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:18 AM   #29
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Filters. From a custom modders standpoint.
1. They slow down dust.
2. They slow down the incoming air flow.
3. They also have a tendancy to unchannel the air flow cone. Which then creates a larger but shorter air flow cone.
4. If they are not regulary cleaned, they become clogged, which in turn makes the fan pretty much useless. Then things get warmer, etc..

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #30
theGrimm
Manshoon

Friend of mine took his pc in (it was still under warranty) because it was acting funny. Sudden crashes, wierd stuff.

Turns out there was an entire nest of ants in the case.

Anyone ever investigate the useage of ant poison with one's pc?