Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
dragon2005
The Magister

hi
i just wanted to understand a few things about how the forum works.

1.how long is it take to a post you wrete to becom an old post?

2. evrey time some one write a replay on the post does it make the post "new" again?

3. what posts deserve to be put in the "important posts" by ading a "!" mark to them?

4. can the forum supervaisers delet replays?

5. i just logined and some how i see all the posts as a "new post(yelow file pictur)", and not even one as an "old post(white file pictur)" , how can this be?

6. many of the forum users that write a replay have a sentans in the bottem of the replay under a --------- line.
i wondered how can i add one of these.

*if these post will be consedared a spam post and sould be deleted, i will really apriceat if you could anser me by sending an email, if it wont be deleted just replay normaly.

thx, dragon.
dragon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

A new post is a post which you have not yet read when you log on to the forum.

The moderators can delete any post or topic.

The exclamation mark means that the thread is sticky and always stays on top of the forum. Only moderators can make them sticky.

You can ad a tag line signature in your personal settings. (Click on "my profile", then "view/update profile").

[ 04-27-2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon2005:
hi
i just wanted to understand a few things about how the forum works.

1.how long is it take to a post you wrete to becom an old post?

2. evrey time some one write a replay on the post does it make the post "new" again?

3. what posts deserve to be put in the "important posts" by ading a "!" mark to them?

4. can the forum supervaisers delet replays?

5. i just logined and some how i see all the posts as a "new post(yelow file pictur)", and not even one as an "old post(white file pictur)" , how can this be?

6. many of the forum users that write a replay have a sentans in the bottem of the replay under a --------- line.
i wondered how can i add one of these.

*if these post will be consedared a spam post and sould be deleted, i will really apriceat if you could anser me by sending an email, if it wont be deleted just replay normaly.

thx, dragon.
1) I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "old" post. Every thread/post is dated at the time it is created. Time makes them older. We have threads that date back many years.

2) When someone replies to a post in a thread, that thread is moved to the top of the list (under the "Sticky" threads).

3)I decide which threads should be "Sticky" = the ones that always stay at the top of the list of threads. The current sticky threads were chosen because of their usefulness or interest to members.

4)Yes, I can delete posts and threads.

5) If you have cleared your cache - threads that you have read may appear as not having been read. SOmetimes when Ziroc does something to the boards this will also happen. Don't worry about it.

6)In the upper right hand corner of your screen - click "MY PROFILE" - you can add a signature which will show up in every post you make. IF you ad a picture to your signature please make certain that it conforms to IronWork's size restriction AND please note that on the W&W board we try not to use picture signatures more than once per thread (keeps the board loading quickly).

Hope that answers your questions!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You've got your answers, but let me add a little bit.

Spybot can also clean your cache for you, and make all old posts look new again. I'm not sure exactly what does it (since it doesn't happen on all of my machines), but whenever I have to log in again, everything is reset.

Also, if you want to test a signature, you don't have to make a new post after every change. All of your posts use the same signature, so if you change it, just look for an old post, and you'll see what it looks like now.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
1) I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "old" post. Every thread/post is dated at the time it is created. Time makes them older. We have threads that date back many years.

When someone post on a thread. The mod will say don't resurrect old thread. So what determines a thread to be old? I think that is what Dragon meant.

[ 04-27-2005, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
...AND please note that on the W&W board we try not to use picture signatures more than once per thread (keeps the board loading quickly).
Hi Wyvern, could you please elaborate... Is there a way to make my signature pic only appear once in a thread if I reply to it multiple times? Oh, and doesn't the browser just download it once anyhow as long as it's the same file? Or are you talking about something else altogether? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
quote:
...AND please note that on the W&W board we try not to use picture signatures more than once per thread (keeps the board loading quickly).
Hi Wyvern, could you please elaborate... Is there a way to make my signature pic only appear once in a thread if I reply to it multiple times? Oh, and doesn't the browser just download it once anyhow as long as it's the same file? Or are you talking about something else altogether? Thanks! [/QUOTE]When you post. Uncheck " show signature " down below in the option ( just below the add reply button ). Your signature will not be shown then.

Or if you use quick reply. the option is to the left of the white box thingie.

[ 04-27-2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

When it comes to resurrecting old threads, I'm not sure there's an exact science. If something's still on the first page, it's probably fair game. If it's from three years ago, odds are it's too old to be brought back (though you could create a new post and link to the old one). If it's on the second or third page... well, that's not exactly black and white. If you're adding something new, it may be worth resurrection. If you're just commenting and agreeing (or disagreeing), it probably isn't. If in doubt, post a new thread and reference the old one [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
Hi Wyvern, could you please elaborate... Is there a way to make my signature pic only appear once in a thread if I reply to it multiple times? Oh, and doesn't the browser just download it once anyhow as long as it's the same file? Or are you talking about something else altogether? Thanks!
Jon - your signature is fine and I don't mind if your's shows up in your every post. It's the larger picture images that get to me after a while especially from an active poster and you end up seeing the picture 40 times in a thread. I (and others) find that extremely distracting. Your signature isn't distracting! So don't worry about it!

Same with all those who use a saying instead of a flashy picture - those are great and they aren't distracting.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
When it comes to resurrecting old threads, I'm not sure there's an exact science. If something's still on the first page, it's probably fair game. If it's from three years ago, odds are it's too old to be brought back (though you could create a new post and link to the old one). If it's on the second or third page... well, that's not exactly black and white. If you're adding something new, it may be worth resurrection. If you're just commenting and agreeing (or disagreeing), it probably isn't. If in doubt, post a new thread and reference the old one [img]smile.gif[/img]
There is no rule on this and this board is not as active as it once was. Used to be that the first three pages of threads could all have been created in a couple of days.

Anything on the first page is fair game and I'm not going to quibble about any thread created in the last month but there is no good reason to bump a post from 3 years ago or even 6 months ago. Almost every time that has happened all the original posters are long gone and no longer active.

The board used to work in such a way that when someone bumped an ancient post, I could send it back by simply deleting the new post. That doesn't work anymore. Once it is bumped, it stays bumped.

When in doubt - start a new thread.