Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 AM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hi! I`ve recently discovered Battels Mod. From Readme it looks like Tactics and there are some nice classes/kits. Some are over-powered. Ha Arcane Avenger?! And i tought that Weimers` Anti-Paladin is over powered.

What do you say about this mod? And if,can you recommend it?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

The Arcane Avenger, due to the Firetooth dagger, is still quite a potent force. However, his main disadvantage is that he can not Grand MAstery in any weapons but that which a Mage can use. Still, Firetooth and the Staff of the Ram make that not that big of a difference. It is true that the kit seems overpowered, but he really can't do that much damage at the beginning, and his only real saving grace are the special abilities, of which the +4 Magic Resistance per level is king. Of course, there's mod out there that gives the Wizard Slayer +4 MAgic Resistance per level...

The Blademaster is something like a Blade and a Kensai put together (that was the original plan) until someone nerfed it quite a lot. Now, it's like a ton'ed down Blade and Kensai that can't cast spells.

The Demon Knight... I really have no idea about this kit. I was never really involved in it. I admit that it's a cool concept, but as I'm never evil, I would never play one.

The Bastard is a kit that you need to know the effects of all of the abilities if you want to use it effectively. I mean, they only last 15 seconds, so you better make your timing pretty good if you want to make any real use out of it. However, if you aren't that great at micro'ing 6 players out of the battle, you probably won't use his abilities. The only ability that is really that overpowered is Vanity, but... I dunno.

If you're used to easy enemies, if you have Tactics and Ascension and Improved Battles installed, you're going to have your feelings changed mighty quickly. Especially if you're playing on Insane. There is literally no easy way to level up any more (other than Trademeet), so you will have to face some of those battles at a low level. Very... tough. The Cleric/Mage that you have to kill at the beginning is also particularly nasty. Now, I got to get going for school, or I would write down a longer reply, but suffice it to say, just try out the stuff, and hope that you don't get slaughtered too wuickly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-09-2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

So if you dual this one at lvl 21 (last level possible with ToB cap) and equip with RingofGaxx and Amulet of Power and Staff or th Magi he gets 99% MR, once/day immune to timestop, invisible, protected from evil, immune to poison, immune to lvl drain, immune to hold, immune to charm/confusion, Grandmastery in Staff of Magi,...

I'm sure this is NOT an overpowered character as he has not 100% MR (although that could be covered with a robe or drow armor.)
Old 09-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Certain quests/machines in the game will ensure his 100%+ Magic Resistance. I mean... the default Wizard Slayer->Thief is already a force to be reckoned with, let alone a beefed-up Wizard Slayer or Arcane Avenger.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Good arguments.(As always [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Yes i have Tactics and Ascension and i do play on Insane. I think i will install it. I am sure i will,just don`t know when... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

*goes pondering*
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Haldir
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Good arguments.(As always [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Yes i have Tactics and Ascension and i do play on Insane. I think i will install it. I am sure i will,just don`t know when... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

*goes pondering*
Yes, yes Xen. Send me a message please.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
So if you dual this one at lvl 21 (last level possible with ToB cap) and equip with RingofGaxx and Amulet of Power and Staff or th Magi he gets 99% MR, once/day immune to timestop, invisible, protected from evil, immune to poison, immune to lvl drain, immune to hold, immune to charm/confusion, Grandmastery in Staff of Magi,...

I'm sure this is NOT an overpowered character as he has not 100% MR (although that could be covered with a robe or drow armor.)
The only thing that can't be done with a regular Kensai/Mage is the one/day immune to timestop. Even a Berserker/Mage. Oh, and the 99% MR. You do know that any Fighter/Mage can get Grand Mastery in Staves, right? Just because they don't, doesn't mean that they can't.

Dundee: Practically any kit/combination of kits is a 'force to be reckoned with'. A regular Mage is a 'force to be reckoned with'. True, a Wizard Slayer/Thief can get more immune to damage than practically any other non-buffed character, but it's all of theoretical value. 95% of the fights, you won't need that kind of immunity, and if you do, then you can just slap on the buffs and a SI: Abjuration.

To Xen: There's no better time than the present. =P (Oh, and I highly suggest you get into the habit of carrying around 5 scrolls of Protection from Magical Energy around. You'll see why if/when you install it)
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Now those are some ridiculously powerful kits.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:15 AM   #9
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I've played through the whole game, TOB included, with this mod using a Demon Knight. I wouldn't say the Demon Knight is overpowered, I wouldn't say that any class is overpowered(except the anti-paladin). All classes have their strengths and weaknesses and are on a pretty level playing field. IMO what makes a character overpowered are the magic items they are equipped with, and this mod adds a few that are uber-type items. But it also beefs up plenty of battles and if you've played through the game several times this is exactly what you should be looking for.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:25 AM   #10
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
You do know that any Fighter/Mage can get Grand Mastery in Staves, right? Just because they don't, doesn't mean that they can't.
That was exactly my point. I always go for Grand Mastery in Staffs with a fighter/mage. Yet this is one of the "Disadvantages" of the kit.

What strikes me as most unbalanced about these kits is that the "Disadvantages" are so small.
"NO MAGIC ITEMS" - big disadvantage
"cannot put more than one slot in ranged weapons" - so what?

I mean c'mon - "Gets immune to hold/confusion and gains 4%MR/lvl BUT must be Human, Elf or Gnome"
Now that will keep me from taking that kit.
Gosh...I SO wanted to be a halfling Arcane Avenger, where do I get my luck boni from now...ah yes my 99% MR