Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Im having a bit of trouble getting NWN to run properly. When i go into the start directory and click on the NWN Gold a message comes up saying

" Sorry, im not in the NWN directory, please place me back there or reinstall the program."

I thought this would mean that it isnt in the right place but i checked and the NWN.exe file and the NWNMain.exe are both in C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN where it is supossed to be.

does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

While I've never had this problem with NWN's, if I did, the first thing I would do is search the harddrive for the "missing" file. It might be just confused a bit.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If you're confident using it, check the windows registry and make sure the directory path there is correct.

did you copy the directory to a different location after installing? that could be the source of the problem.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I got that exact same message two days ago. I had a shortcut on my dektop that was the link to NWNMAIN, and as I was setting up the shortcut to be able to take me directly to Undermountain, I mis-named the NWNMain as the .exe and when I tried to use the link, I got that message.

I could not remember if I was supposed to use NWN or exe to get into the game, so I deleted my shortcut and made a new one once I made sure I knew which one I was to use.

[ 04-23-2006, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Is there anyway i can change the directory that nwn looks for, for the nwn.exe?. Say its looking in the folder C:\blah\blah is there anyway i can change it to look in C:\bleh\bleh.

I know my terminology is a bit crap ut i hope you get my gist.

EDIT: i can actually use nwnmain to get into the game, the introductions for atari and stuff come up and the video of lord nasher works. The only problem is that when it gets the to the starting screen where you can choose "new game" or "load game" the options arnt there, all there is is blank boxes, even these work as in, you can click on them but when you do the next set of options is also blank.:

[ 04-24-2006, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: lost prophet ]
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Now that does sound like more of a problem than my silly little link issue.

Just to check behind myself for the purpose of writing this post, I went to my folder where the game is in the HDD and found the nwn.exe but that gives me the error message we discussed before. The NWNMAIN.exe will still get me into the game from the beginning and it has no errors like the latter ones you mentioned. In fact, the actual location of that MAIN file is "E:\NeverWinter Nights", but if I make a shortcut, it becomes "E:\NeverWinter Nights\nwmain.exe". I have tried a few things to recreate the problem you have but there is nothing I can do to get what you've mentioned in your last post. I think you have a corrupt file somewhere.

Some questions.

Are you accessing the game from a shortcut or directly from the NWNMAIN.exe inside the folder it was originally insalled in?

Do you have the entire game on your HDD or do you have to load the CD?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

i thought i had done a full install though i still need the cd to run it. When i play i go:

start=> programs => nwn gold

or

My computer => C Drive => Neverwinter Nights => NWN => nwn.exe

i have tried putting nwn.exe in a number of places and making shortcuts and stuf like that but i cant seem to get it to work anywhere.

This is the second time this has happened as the reson i reinstalled it is because of the same problem.

I have just recently got a new pc with windows XP on in in comparison to my old WIN 98 so im still a bit unfamiliar with everything.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Using the icons that are directly in the folder that the game is installed in, I wanted to clarify the following...The following does not mention shortcuts, though I get the same results with shortcuts as I do with the originals...

When I use the icon on the right, I get the same message that you mentioned in your first post. I have to access NWN through the icon on the left. I just wanted to confirm that I clearly presented my thought. Are we good so far? BTW...I used to access NWN through the icon on the right, but it does not work anymore. I do not know why...nor am I concerned with it since I can actually play the game with no trouble.

Also...you say that you have to have the CD in the game before you can play. I just checked and I do not have the CD inserted but I can play Online, Single-player of NWN original, SoU, and HotU, as well as custom modules that I built...all fully installed and with no CD requirement. I don't know why...because I thought I used to HAVE to have HotU installed before it would go...but anymore!

BTW...I am using XP Home

[ 04-24-2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

They fixed the cd required thing on the last patch, or maybe the one before it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
They fixed the cd required thing on the last patch, or maybe the one before it.
Yes it was the last patch, 1.66, that removed the CD requirement to play the game.