Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Question Mark

Heyas everyone

I was looking for a new game to buy for the PS2, and I noticed a game called 'A Bard's Tale' perched tauntingly upon the shelf. I proceeded to pick up the box and examine the back. It did catch my interest but I replaced it back on the shelf so that I may come here and consult you on whether or not I should get this game.

The main thing about the game that attracted my eye was the title. I am a huge fan of Bards in games, and at any opportunity (thinking of BG2 and NWN) I choose to be the bard.

I wondered, is the game:

Enjoyable?
Immersive?
Action packed?
Supported by a good storyline?
A two player?
Graphically delicious?
Deep?
Value for money?
Going to keep me entertained?
Highly explorable?

Thanks for the input and advice

--Kestrel--
Old 05-25-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hmm, can't believe no-one has popped up here with any comments for you Kestral. Although I haven't played it yet, I'll try to offer some insight. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This game was made by InXile Entertainment, headed by Brian Fargo, who is an absolutely legendary figure in the world of cRPG's. He bought the rights to the "Bard's Tale" name from Electronic Arts for the purpose of renewing the great Bardic legacy.

As an ultra big fan of the original classic series:
I can honestly say that if I had a PS2, it would be one of the few games I would be going out of my way to play!

Bear in mind the gameplay resembles the Dark Alliance games since it was made using a modified version of that engine. So I'd expect a fair amount of hack and slash. However, I'm sure the game will feature enough humour and references with its irreverent take on RPG cliche's and hopefully enough puzzles and interaction to entertain you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Enjoyable? I'd say so!

Immersive? As much as a console rpg can be, I'd think so!

Action Packed? Hackity slash slash! (yes!)

Supported by a good storyline? Yes, I would expect this to be full of twists and humour.

Graphically delicious? Unncessary, but from screenshots, I think its lovely.

Deep? In some places!

Value for money? Perhaps rent it first if you can!

Going to keep me entertained? Depends on how easily you are entertained and also what you expect of games.

Highly explorable? There's a hint and solution book for it already chock full of maps, so I'd say yes!

Just in case you haven't played the originals, here they are:

The Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown
The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
The Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate

The third game remains possibly my favourite cRPG of all time and is where my current sig is derived. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can also get a construction kit to make your own adventures!

*phew* That'll do!
Cheers,
CerebroDragon

P.S:
Unfortunately the die hard fans still haven't been treated to their much desired Bard's Tale 4 yet, which is what I was hoping the PS2/PC game would be when I first heard the news about Fargo's great rights purchase. The closest thing I've found to it is a game I'm playing at the moment called "Devil Whiskey" - a demo is readily available online, about 80 meg.

[ 05-25-2005, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I have played it, it's a hack and slash game much like BG : DA.

Enjoyable? No, the scottish accent is so annoying. If it wasn't for the subtitle I don't know what they are talking about. Your hero make himself look like a happy go lucky guy.

Immersive? not sure

Action packed? yes

Supported by a good storyline? Should be, but really I don't know what they are talking about.

A two player? no

Graphically delicious? yes

Deep? maybe

Value for money? no

Going to keep me entertained? If you can stand those scottish accent.

Highly explorable? yes, and you'll probably get lose in the wilderness more aften. heck i even get lost in the city.

[ 05-25-2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
What the hell is wrong with a Scottish accent? (where's Ross_Bg2 to defend his kind now eh? hehe)

Seriously, your review is pretty subjective Kakero. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'd like to think other players would have a higher tolerance than to complain about an accent.

Maybe you should pay more attention to the storyline too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

How to pay attention when you don't even know what they are talking about?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Dajjer
The Magister

As a big fan of the origial I couldn't wait for the pc version so I went ahead and got the PS2 version.

As Roger Ebert would say, I admire what they did but I have to give it a thumbs down.

The game is very funny but not as funny as Grim Fandango, Sam & Max nor some of the older Ledgend Games. But it is funny. The narrator is funny. Some of the dialogue choices are funny. And playing a hero that's in it for the money and not for the glory is marvelously refreshing.

Unfortunately the game play is tedious. Typical console style hack and slash. but worse. For example when you have a mission to go deep into a dungeon to defeat the baddie. You defeat the baddie but all the monsters respawn and you have to refight your way out of that very same dungeon. Booooooorinnnnnnng

One thing that did keep me playing for a while though. Is that finally the Bards music abilites had some real bearing on combat. He's not just a bard in name only.

Still, the trust they broke when they went from 1st person perspective to Overhead still has me shaking my head in wonder. What were they thinking. Wizardy, Bards Tale and Might and Magic. The early kings of 1st person perspective RPGs.

When this game hits the bargin and clearance bin for between 10 to 20 bucks, then it might be worth it. But at full price, I say no. Since you do have the PS2 why not go to Blockbuster and rent it? I think the game would be a good bargin if you rent it for a week or two.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

I liked the look of this game and so bought it off amazon (75% off can't be that bad )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...389908-9442867

Edit: Whats wrong with Scottish accents like [img]tongue.gif[/img] There are some parts that have really wierd accents though, specially people from shetland and the west of scotland. Heh.

[ 06-04-2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: drew_jarvie ]