Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2000, 06:00 PM   #1
Billybobbruno

How can I beat this guy?? More importantly, any tips on Iron Golems??
Old 08-30-2000, 07:58 PM   #2
Slinky

Don't try downing potions before you go into the room, because they will get dispelled. I was mad when all the potions I drank, like potion of storm giant strength and oils of speed, got dispelled. I never thought I was going to beat him without those potions, but I did evenutally and he's not really that hard. Once I got a good plan down it took me like 2-3 tries. Here's what I did.

As soon as Brother Poquelin turns into Belhifet, I paused immediately. I had my mage cast haste on the party, then my cleric casted protection from fire on my paladin, then I had my thief stand out of the way in the middle with detect traps on. I unpaused, then I sent my paladin (which is a tank BTW, she's awesome)to start attacking Belhifet, and I casted another protection from fire on my ranger. I sent him in to start attacking. Usually the iron golems will go after the mage, so I took my mage and my bard and ran them around the outside with the iron golems chasing him. That basically eliminated them from the main fight. Also you can cast magic missile and most of the time you can hurt Belhifet even though he is magic resistant. Don't fight Belhifet in the circle of traps. You are asking for nothing but trouble by doing that. I can't stress the importance of protection from fire enough. Without it I think the game would be impossilble to beat. Hope this helps. Let me know if it does or doesn't.
Old 08-30-2000, 11:44 PM   #3
Chimpy

I had trouble with Belifet. It took me at least 5 tries to kill the bastard. Its funny though, I tried using potions and luring the golems and all the strategies I knew but still couldn't kill him. Then I just decided that to cast haste and sent everyone to attack him. I sat there and with one click I killed him. It was a nice surprise, almost all of my party memebers died but he died too, they slaughtered the poor goat-legged hotdog. Hah go figure.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:53 AM   #4
dragonslayer
Manshoon

I just let my Ranger and Fighter atttck one Iron Golem each and my Paladin attck Belhifet. The Thief did find traps and Cleric moved after my Paladin. The Mage used magic missile on Belhifet. After the Fighter and Ranger had finished the Iron Golems off they joined in the big fight.
dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 10:20 AM   #5
DailyRich

True story -- my whole party had protection from fire, took out the golems pretty easily, and then ran around the outside of the room trying to lure Belhifet to us. We kept hitting and running to avoid the broad range fire spells, but soon the protection wore off and my mage bought it. Then my thief went down. Lost my cleric and my ranger next, along with most of my healing ability. Then my tank of a paladin went down, leaving my dwarf fighter as the last man standing, and Belhifet only hurt. Well, he promptly began looting the bodies of his slain friends, trying to pick up any magical items that would help him, swapping armor and shields, hitting and running on Belhifet all the while. Finally, with one mighty axe blow, Belhifet went down -- with my dwarf at ONE hit point. Yeah, maybe I could have used a better strategy, but nothing compared with the drama of beating the game in that fashion.
Old 08-31-2000, 11:27 AM   #6
Slinky

That's pretty funny. When I beat him 3 of my guys got waxed, the only ones remaing were the 3 attacking him. I didn't really care about losing guys at that point, I was more concerned with just kicking his butt.
Old 08-31-2000, 11:31 AM   #7
Slinky

If you still can't beat him you can enable cheat keys and do CHEATERSDOPROSPER:EnableCheatKeys(Y) (I think thats right)and then hit Ctrl+Y to kill Belhifet. Thats what I did the first time to kill him then I beat him a couple of tries later without cheating. You can do that to the iron golems too. Just select the baddie and hit the keys.
Old 09-01-2000, 12:23 AM   #8
slag-king

I've beaten this demon several times; however, at one time, I tried to cast haste on my fighters, but I ended up hasting the demon. DOH! That was evil. I thought he was spell resistant, but it turns out that he's not spell resistant to beneficial spells like haste or heal. Strange. But the action is hilarious because he's attacking my guys twice as fast per two cuts...a precursor to the BGII dual wielding ranger?
Old 09-01-2000, 08:27 AM   #9
Erekose
The Magister

First time i beat him i let him pound into my fighters while i concerntrated on the iron golems. Then healed the fighters and used haste. Needless to say he doesn't last long when getting gangbashed by hasted characters. A funny trick to do is to use the sword "spell diver" on him and he can't cast the infernal conflagaration. It's a barrel of laughs . Cheers
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2000, 02:48 PM   #10
Yanor

My friend could Mr.Poquelin withn just his Fighter and his Paladin(who used PfE).
Not to bad I think.
Personaly I'm using a party of 4 and one party of 3.
More fun with just a few chars and you get more atatched to them.