Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

There is something wierd going on with my computer, it reboots itself, at first it seemed out of nowhere but now I have come to the conclusion that it's before or after some graphically intense work. For instance it happens whenever I try to load Temple of Elemental Evil, and after I quit Morrowind, neve during the game, but just when it is exitting to the desktop. There are other games that have the same problem. However Older games, like BG2 are fine and strangly enough NeverWinter Nights.
It has also happened when watching a DVD on the computer and some Avi files in Winamp.

I have tried, both installing the games again (to no avail), and reinstall DirectX again (didn't work either) and I'm kind of stumped... Anyone know what else could be wrong?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Did you add any cards that share the same IRQ line as your video card? I did and it caused the same problem.

You can check if you reboot. You get a table and under is a list with cards in your computer and (for me) the last colon is IRQ. Find the number of your video card and check if other components are at the same number. For me it was the internet card. AFAIK the only solution for me was moving the card to another slot as I couldn't find a place where I could disable all IRQs (neither in BIOS nor in WinME) and manually reassign them. Maybe your BIOS does support releasing them all, then you could try setting them manually. I think there are some rules for manually setting them but you can google those up.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

There should be no problem sharing IRQs, as the advanced config and power interface should take care of the IRQ allocation and it often allocates several devices to the same IRQ. And yes, in W2K and WXP it takes control so it doesn't allow you to manually allocate IRQs as you could in older windows.

Jorath, sorry to say this could be caused by any number of things. You don't say what version of windows you're using. It could even be a memory problem since a lot of memory operations take place on quitting programs.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
There should be no problem sharing IRQs, as the advanced config and power interface should take care of the IRQ allocation and it often allocates several devices to the same IRQ. And yes, in W2K and WXP it takes control so it doesn't allow you to manually allocate IRQs as you could in older windows.
WinME screwed it up for me video card and NIC on the same IRQ. Had to move the NIC to another slot cause it wouldn't do it correctly by itself. Oh well, I downloaded linux, if only I had the time to really get into it... But at least it gives me a choice when windows annoys me.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

It's possible on windows versions before 2000 since there is no ACPI. If he's running W2K or XP then there should be no IRQ conflict problems. I run windows 2000 and my graphics card, USB controller, 56K modem, ADSL modem and sound card are all on IRQ 9 according to system information.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
It's possible on windows versions before 2000 since there is no ACPI. If he's running W2K or XP then there should be no IRQ conflict problems. I run windows 2000 and my graphics card, USB controller, 56K modem, ADSL modem and sound card are all on IRQ 9 according to system information.
Was WinME before 2000? I have some on the same IRQ now as well but not those that are often used so no toruble here anymore.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well I have Win 2000 and service pack 3, I only added a new mouse recently (never buy a Microsoft mouse, got one 3 months ago and the left button lasted 2 months... ).

Anyway... thanks for the suggestions...
Old 05-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah, WinME was before Win2000. ME is still largely based on W98 code, whereas 2000 is made of the same stock as XP i.e. XP is the 2001 update to W2000.

Jorath - I've had the MS Optical Intellimouse explorer for almost 2 years and have had absolutely no probs. It's a brilliant mouse. I love it anyway.

Jorath, check your task manager, maybe you're running out of memory and windows can't increase your page file size? Just a long shot, probably wrong...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray