Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2001, 08:00 PM   #21
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

HAHA! Lord of Alcohol - perhaps Fibercon? How've you been? Did you have a good workweek? Yes, I'm bored.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:11 PM   #22
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hi LadyWendy! Not the best work week, missed a couple days due to transportation (1 day) weather yesterday. However a good day today, it flew by (dont you love those days!) and a lot accomplished. Crane tomorrow, need you to run the tag line. Can you make it?
Old 02-24-2001, 08:36 PM   #23
Ladyzekke

Lord of Alcohol - we had a bit of snow here too. Caused a 116 car pileup yesterday. Fun! Umm, sure, no problem, but, err, what exactly is a tag line?

On a serious note - I really wish I had your know-how in my brain right now. It looks like my husband decided that we buy this townhouse that has a leaky basement. He wants to try to fix it himself with his friend. Neither do this type of thing for a living. An inspector has already looked at the damage and decreed $8900 worth of work that needs to be done. A 10 foot deep, 6 foot wide hole needs to be dug up to replace an entire wall! I wish we knew someone who could give them advice, as I can see a circus ahead. It's going to be Rocky and Bullwinkle's great adventures! Oh man, what have I gotten myself into?! Calgon take me away!!
Old 02-24-2001, 08:41 PM   #24
Ladyzekke

BTW - Ladyzekke just came back from TGI Fridays and she is fairly drunk right now.
Old 02-24-2001, 09:38 PM   #25
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

LadyWendy, running the tag line means you hold the rope attached to the truss while the crane lifts it up upon the house to keep it from spinning. Hope its not a windy day, you may take a dive in the ole Carolina clay but we'll be happy to laugh!
On the other note...JUST SAY NO TO LEAKY BASEMENTS!!!!!! My brother-in-law in Philly has the same problem. Got an estimate. $48,000. He did of course say go to hell. But that is NOT an easy problem to fix. A LOT of labor for very iffy results. A french drain (if there isnt one) may help but even with installing one you still have to fix where the water is going through. And "patching" things up then having a french drain installed is expensive and may only work for a linited time (a couple years maybe). Better off buying something that doesnt have that type of problem. Even if they are offering a deal....problems, problems, problems. Hope my advice helps
Old 02-24-2001, 09:53 PM   #26
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Yeah Epona, August must have been boring.

Ladyzekke, I like the new picture! Real Cool! I'd stay away from the basement thing too. If I had it to do over again I'd have either something new. We don't have a basement, just a crawl space. But we made up for that with Aluminum wiring. Can you say FIRE TRAP? I thought you could. Our house was built during the early seventies and they allowed things like that then. Luckily I have an electrician for an Uncle. So he helps me out from time to time as a problem arises. Of course I LOVE old houses too. They have character unlike the news built now-a-days, but i am not sure about the maintaince thing. So I'd problem buy new the next time.
Old 02-24-2001, 10:01 PM   #27
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I should also add that if you do the repairs for ($gazzilion) if you want to sell the townhouse at a later date you have to disclose that there has been a problem and you might be liable for future repairs. I will say this is not my area of expertise but I've seen plenty of this. Like the house we just framed. No french drain-1 foot of water in the crawl space. Dont buy an albatross LadyWendy! (or I will scold you)Haha!
Old 02-24-2001, 10:13 PM   #28
Ladyzekke

Sir Taliesin - thanks! StealthBomber found it for me!

LofA - oh well, I've tried to reiterate what you guys have said to my husband, but he still wants to buy it and do it himself. So I am not really in much of a position to exert myself, even though I am in on the deal half and half (make more money than he does!) Also, you have to realize that our time limit is drawing near and it is slim pickins for houses in our price range in our area. If you find a place you like you better jump on it or it is gone. So that takes a lot away from decision time you know? Trust me, we have already seen many houses that were higher priced and much worse than this one, so it really is a tough decision. Oh well, looks like Rocky and Bullwinkle will be very busy. Well, they can't say that I didn't warn them.

Did I ever tell anyone I live a life like a soap opera? Stay tuned.!
Old 02-24-2001, 10:37 PM   #29
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I know the area where you live (well sorta, its been 20 years) so yep I know its tough finding anything there. Was by my old house a few years ago and it looked in disrepair. Hope Ravensworths not cracktown these days haha!Anyway I hope you can get things fixed ok, need any framing advice(NOT pictures dont hesitate to ask~Pauly
Old 02-24-2001, 10:49 PM   #30
Ladyzekke

LofA - yeah, cracktown (this Townhouse is in Cameron area, Alexandria, beautiful ghetto), that's us! Whitetrash dance! Whitetrash dance! yeee haw! prop that shotgun near the door!
Sorry, I'm OK now. Ready to call it a day I think (chuckle).