Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-22-2001, 09:39 AM   #21
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have to say that since i have been in here (this forum)i used to think hate mages,then i gave it a try,still nothing,now i'm playing BG1 and i am loving them.i was in the gnoll stronghold where there was like 20+gnolls and had Xzar cast sleep and i'll be damned if all the bastards didn't go to sleep.i have learned that when using mages,you have to use tactics...i like to have a thief sneak up like a FO(foward observer)then have my tanks (usally 2)block any path out while my cleric type use slings on the enemy,never is my mage in the front line.i have learned that when you have 7hit points and long swords do 1-8 damage the probability of a mage living after one hit is slim to none,and arrows do 1-6,still not good for the mage.
................................fighter
..............cleric
.mage...................................thief
..............cleric
................................fighter
this is kinda how you should set up for a fight.i don't use clerics as tanks,they are more like my artillery for the front lines,the mage is my long range missle support and the thief is my FO(as above stated)and the thief can act as a gruilla attack and go foward and agress the enemy and then draw them back to my front line defence.it works really well and i know that i'm weak on the mage aspect but these are not black and white,any of the clerics could be a multi-class,and the thief could be a dual or multi class for a better thac0,but this really helps in the long run...think adaptability
Old 02-22-2001, 10:20 AM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Bard (Skald kit) - Epona covered it all! LOL

I like to strategize- work tactics more than all out go-for-blood tanking, so it seems to be working best for me.
I'd have to add that Melodic Chain and the harp of dischord make a nice addition to the collection! LOVE that harp! And she is sooo right about the Wisdom ..sigh, I rolled up my bard in a hurry for a multi-play game, not checking the stats carefully (I know, I know, I should be better about those number things...sigh). I think my total was around 85 and somehow Wisdom got left at 12. Can we say frequent spell writing failure?

The skald's bardsong adds to party's THACO (?) and other things in battle too, I think
(sorry can't ck, am at work). And at higher levels (13 and up, I think) it adversely effects the enemy's saving throws.

Proficiencies: I take longbow for range, then decide the others based on party makeup if I can. My multi-play skald has -longbow, axe, longsword and one handed fighting style(?)(don't mess with equipping/carrying a shield- interferes with bow use)

Cloudbringer
Old 02-22-2001, 10:30 AM   #23
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok Cloudbringer i need a little more playing to use a bard.i have never considered one but after you harp on them i'll try one.i could use some help,at least a little more tactics,like how do you use it,or are they that flexiable they can fill in anywhere,please help if you want me to try on a bard character,look at my stratagy and see where it would fit,the only aspect i like is the high lore,please fill in the blanks and help you archnemises(not just Jerome's sidekick)
Old 02-22-2001, 10:36 AM   #24
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I didn't know the wisdom had anything to do with spell writing. I know that a mage get 85% chance to write to spells with 18 in intelligence, and I thought it was the same with bards. My berserker/mage for example only has 8 in wisdom, but he still has 85% chance to write a spell.

I think I will have to check the manual again when I get home.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:44 AM   #25
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

that's what i thought also,unless you have a high wisdom to keep from getting your mind controled or such things..and Cloudi'mnotgoingtosayanythingbadjustyet,unlessyoud on'tanswermyquestion ,i think the bard could replace one of the clerics or do you know if a bard could dual-class into a cleric,if so that would be cool,please please please answer me,so i could enjoy picking on you again
Old 02-22-2001, 11:24 AM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hellfire: You live dangerously, smeagolfire, yessss my preciousesssssss! hehehe.
But - ON TOPIC: When I say strategy, I mean, plan attacks according to party member strengths and enemy weaknesses. My skald has not so hot ac, so I don't usually send her up front- uses spells and bardsong/Harp of dischord and Elven court bow+3 or throwing type axes. (just love the cute widdle pink one-Azure Edge tee hee) Use the others according to their skills/spell abilities. Even Anomen gets to work hard! Cleric spells get used a lot in my games- chant, summon whatever, bless, prot from evil etc. And for dualing- I don't believe the bard kit can be dualled, unless you cheat (but somebody else should confirm that, I'm not sure). One other note- the skald gets that +1 to hit but at the expense of pickpocketing skills which are very low.

Storm-Queen
Old 02-22-2001, 11:38 AM   #27
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what's the count,3Knights,3Mages,countless lightning bolts,one BBQ lunch,of course it was my picushion boss Jerome,i have been turned good,then into a gibberling,and have been fighting countless battles solo and have to serve you ,BK ,and Memnoch...gee i have learned that being around you is dangerous all by its self,and being your archnemmises speaks volums all by itself...hum you are good at pointing out the obvious aren't you...back to topic thank you and i hope someone knows about the bard dual classing thing.thank you OH....i forgot the ArchAngel Gabriel too..
Old 02-22-2001, 01:11 PM   #28
Jimbo:)

I don't think the bard can be duel classed, neither can paly, or monk.

Question to WOLFGIR and other rangers, especially archers, is the main reason for the lack of doing much on some critters is that they only get a +4 to hit and not damage? I hate things like that, as its no fun to make a character, level up, then find out you can't do much to critter cause there isn't any weapons/spell/spam-n-eggs-dohickey-frypan that lets you at least be a contributing factor.

My favorite character is the Rogue (Fighter/Thief, Human, duel classed at 9 from fighter)
I like it over a Kensai/Thief because I still have my ranged weapon use available, be it daggers or bows. With some neat gear, and some nice weapons and specializations (other than building up and haveing to use shadowkeeper to fix stats assignments since you can't level and pass on using your specialization points). Pretty much I went with short swords, duel weld, short bows, and war hammer. I am currently using a new Rogue using Longswords, daggers, duel weld and warhammer (death to you meannie golems!!). Why I like this set up over a Kensai/Thief is that I can still use ranged weapons and have some more armour choices. Its great to sneak in, hit em with a ranged weapon and run back leading those critters into a trap. Also, I get richer quicker as I can pickpocket many of the mobs and get items for free that way , plus you can get 2 of an item as pointed out by another poster (another thing to try now! Whoohoo!).

Anyone got a work up on monks or duel classed fighter/clerics?

Seeya!

Old 02-22-2001, 01:26 PM   #29
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Fighter/Cleric:

Starting as a fighter gives excellent weapon proficiencies and good hit points. Cleric obviously adds spell ability. Both classes allow an excellent use of armor.

Start with a fighter and add five stars to weapon proficiencies in either Staves or Slings (Flails and Maces are pretty good too, but you won't find them as readily available). I prefer staves as there are several very good staves to acquire in the beginning of the game (even as good as +4). This will make the Fighter/Cleric a decent tank. Spell abilities can help heal the party or can help prepare for battle. In the middle of battle, you will mostly find yourself in the thick of things (especially with staff proficiencies). If you choose sling proficiencies, you will be able to keep at a range and use spells more during combat. Slings are fairly easy to acquire also (as good as +3 early in the game) and allow you to use a shield = very low AC.

Finally, never underestimate the power to turn undead. A higher level cleric will turn undead to dust. Be aware that to turn undead your cleric can't be engaged in any other activity. A good idea is to have no script or turn the AI off when having the cleric turn undead. Otherwise, depending on the script, the cleric will stop turning undead to fight back against attacking enemies.

The only real disadvantage is that when you dual from a fighter, you will be restricted to the weapons of the Cleric. Which means you will not be able to use swords or bows (or any other edged weapon). This isn't too big of a disadvantage.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:46 PM   #30
Epona
Zartan

Just to clarify my point about wisdom & intelligence from my lengthy and slightly manic 'Bards' post (this applies to all spellcasters).
Intelligence affects ability to copy spells into your spellbook;
18 gives an 85% chance of success
15 gives a 65% chance of success
13 gives a 55% chance of success
You have to have intelligence of 24 to get 100% guaranteed success.
In other words, ALWAYS save before trying to learn a spell.
Wisdom affects ability to cast spells
Anything less than 13 wisdom, and you stand a chance of the dreaded:
Epona: Casting Failure: Spell Failed
with the little puff of smoke to accompany as all that magic dissipates unused, same as if your mage gets whacked before he's let off his spell.
Wisdom 12 gives 5% chance of failure
Wisdom 10 gives 15% chance of failure etc. etc.
Another point I forgot is that high wisdom gives better outcomes with 'limited wish' spell (although I haven't used them often enough to verify).
Also remember when dealing out your stats at the beginning that there may be affects to your stats later in the game (but I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't yet got that far) - this is a thornier choice for bards than for other classes because there are no "useless" stats. Bear that in mind when rolling your initial stats.
I think I may have confused the issue rather than clarifying!! Not my intention.