Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-18-2000, 02:30 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OK this is for all the Halaster Blackcloak wannabes out there:

What do you put in your Spell Triggers/Sequencers?

I'll start with my L15 Mage/dualled from 11 Swashbuckler:

Spell Trigger - 3 x Chain Lightning (effectively 21d6 damage per victim saving for half)

Spell Sequencer - 3 x Fireball Spells (30d6 of damage saving for half)

Minor Sequencer - 2 x Magic Missile (10 missiles for 10d4 +10 of damage)

Let's hear more comments.
Old 11-18-2000, 07:12 AM   #2
Suul-Yinn

Ouch! I have a few defensive spells in one slot, such as spell deflection, stoneskin etc and also anti-mage spells in another ie spell breach, secret word etc. If I am expecting tough H-to-H combat, I will have a domination attack ready, linked to lower resistance etc.
I generally try to plan ahead to knock out the most dangerous opponent asap. I avoid area effect spells, unless there are a lot of critters and then I use a wand. This is because both Valygar and Keldorn have boots of the cheetah, (one set from slot machine) and tend to charge in verrrry quickly. In fact Valygar dual wielding Celestial fury and his own katana, generally doesn't leave much standing for me to target anyhow and so I concentrate on knocking down immunities and stoneskin etc You use your mage as a massive destructive force whereas I use mine in a more subtle role, but both seem to work well. The good thing is that they are so flexible that they will adapt to your playing style.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:21 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's because I have two mages, one for the massive destructive force (try Hide in Shadows, case the area out, then release my Spell Trigger) and another for the antimage stuff (Khelbens Warding Whip, Breach, Pierce Magic).

I'm going to start another thread on everyone's contingencies soon...
Old 11-18-2000, 09:37 AM   #4
Armisael

No trigger for me. I put defensive spells in my sequencer (stoneskin, mirror image, and usually improved invis), which I only ever use as a last resort. I don't use minor sequencers, and I don't use contingency, because it's pathetic. One spell? Give me a freaking break. I don't need a contingency to cast one spell, thanks. : P

Old 11-18-2000, 11:03 AM   #5
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

just recently when i got the arch-staff, i dont seem to need any defensive spells since i can cast spell trap once per day so i concentrated myself on offensive spells like 3 magic missles in one blow. =) i done use any of the defensive spells since i use polymorph in case i have problems... i like that spell... i have also the polymorph of level 9 i forgot the name... kinda cool.
Old 11-18-2000, 07:21 PM   #6
Suul-Yinn

I use three mages, myself, Nalia( now Imoen) and Aerie. I also have Jaheira, who I use as a mage spoiler with her insects and to summon elementals, plus as a back-up fighter. Frankly, I generally have my mages using missile weapons, as my tanks, Keldorn & Valygar, tend to rip up most stuff anyhow. I use them to soften the really tough opponents, knock down stoneskins and protect the tanks. Occasionally I will throw in chaos, emotion, fireball etc to break up large parties but I use contingencies for emergencies. Maybe I am wasting my mage's potential but I always assume that if I let rip, the next opponent would require the spells I just used. I always use haste, bless, chant and defensive harmony before big battles plus any specific blockers for that opponent.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:27 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Actually the problem with sequencers etc is that you hardly use them because they are such a hassle to set up that you keep saving them for that next big battle that never comes.
Old 11-19-2000, 07:36 PM   #8
Sardonix

Don't forget spider spawn x3 in sequencer. Instantaneously summons 3-6 fighters for you, in case you need to run.

Old 11-19-2000, 08:18 PM   #9
Archmagi Wah

I love conjouring stuff. It makes me feel so much better that some invisible stalkers are taking the beats instead on me. (not to mention I wouldn't survive it!)

So therefore I'd put 3 invisible stalker spell together in a spell trigger, since it takes blumming ages to cast then one at a time - someone'll probably hit me and I'll lose the spell anyway.

Hey!! I just got an idea. What if I summon an air, fire and an earth elemental together? Will that mean I can concentrate on all three for 3 rounds instead of each one. (that's normally 9 rounds!!)

Might just try that one!

Old 11-22-2000, 08:59 PM   #10
ironfist

Flame Arrow x 3 and Cloudkill x 3, mages arent good at summoning cause the chance to fail,
I really hate when a elemental turns on me, a waste of spell i think But the thought of
3 elementals is really exciting though.