Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Hi, a quick mods question from one who has never tried one. If you install would you have to start a new a game them to usable? This is my first time playing SoA so there wouldn't be many I would want to try, but I was curious.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It really depends on the mods you want to try. Most of them would work from the point of install. Some NPC mods would be unaccesable because they're picked up inside Irenicus' dungeon.

If you tell us the ones you have an eye on we could give a more definite answer...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Depends on the mod. If it is something small like the bonus merchants, you should not have to restart. But anything that makes any serious changes you probably do. Safest bet is to restart if you add a mod.

However, a piece of advice: don't download mods until you finish the game the first time through. The only things you should download and install are the official patch (obvious reasons) and the Baldurdash fixpacks (which fix errors in the game as well). This will allow you to enjoy the game as it was originally designed, then afterwards you can tinker with the game to your heart's content.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Thanks for the info. The main mods I was considering would be the bonus merchant and the bottomless bag. I just never seem to have enough space for everything. lol I still haven't installed the patch or fix pack...not sure why. I only seem to think about it while reading the forum at work and not when I am home playing.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

You should really really get the Patch and Fixpack, they make the game run much smoother, a hell of a lot. Irons out most bugs that are known.

I would also suggest getting Unfinished Business, it adds alot more to the game and is probably one of the best mods for adding quests and other things into the game that fit in very very well, seeing as it is tying up loose ends and such. Its also a must if you love Minsc and Boo.

--Kestrel--
Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Is unfinished business a mod that needs to be installed prior to starting? I am headed to the upper level of the dungeon in the Asylum (chap 4?).
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Well, it is nice to start from the beginning with the mod. I assume you are enjoying the game, being it your first time playing it?

If you like the game then after you have finished playing through on an unmodded game, go and install a few good mods then play through again. I presume that you would have done that anyway?

--Kestrel--
Old 02-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Andyr
Manshoon

Unfinished Business should work fine if installed mid-game, though you may miss out on some of the stuff added earlier on in the game.
[url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net/\" target=\"_blank\">\"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see...\"</a> - G3: Home of IE mods<br /><br />[url]\"http://forums.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">Forums</a><br /><br /><i>JCompton:</i> Suggested plugs include \"Click here so Compton doesn\'t ban me. [url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net/ub\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.pocketplane.net/ub</a> \"
Andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Euso
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey btw, is it ok to install the patch and the fixpack in the middle of a game? Or do I have to start a new one for them to work? Also I have some minor mods installed from the Ease of Use, is that a problem? Should I uninstall them before installing the fixes?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Yes, the patch and fixpacks will work if you install mid game (As far as I know).

Definitely definitely definitely dont install ANY mod before installing the patch then fixpack. It will screw your game up big style!

--Kestrel--