Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

I want to create a Generic archer but there are some questions i need answered and some tips I need.
First up, should I dualclass to thief? Is that good or does it just make her less powerful later in the game? Im kind of after a semi-sneaky character but it does not really have to be like that.
I kind of want to be an elf so this rules out the dualclass option, obviously.
I COULD just giver her the appearance of an elf, as i find that better for an archer.

What party should I use? Im a goody two shoes as always [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Me - Generic Archer

Anomen for that rrrromance

Keldorn for Carso...If i go with a dual-class i will exchange him because I will get the use all item HLA so I can wield it myself

Yoshi+Nalia then Imoen

Solafein for his power

so I have another spot, should I go with Minsc? Some other perhaps? Give me the tips please!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Get Aerie. She's powerful in the later stages of the game.
If you want to Dual-Class, dual your Archer into a Mage. That's cheesey.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Tyrion
Quintesson

Dont want to be a chunk of cheese...I want theif or pure bowman
Old 01-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

An Archer (I assume you are planning on playing a Ranger with the Archer kit) can only dual-class into a Cleric. You probably want to stay a Ranger.

Rangers get Stealth, so that's good, because you said you like being sneaky. Your best racial choice, power-wise is Elf. Elves get a +1 to hit when using a bow.

As for a party, use who you like. If it were me, I'd go with Imoen, Jaheira, Aerie, Minsc, and Keldorn (I like goody two-shoes as well).

Since you're playing a female, and want a romance, sub in Anomen, or I think you can romance Solafein too (I've never used this mod). While we're at it, what other mods are you using?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Tyrion
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
An Archer (I assume you are planning on playing a Ranger with the Archer kit) can only dual-class into a Cleric. You probably want to stay a Ranger.
I am going to be a GENERIC Archer....
Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Then from the Sola Add-Ons I suppose.

You can romance Sola.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
I kind of want to be an elf so this rules out the dualclass option, obviously.
That also rules out multiclassing. Generic Archer is a fighter kit. You can only have a kit if you single class or dual class (and then only in the class you are dualing from, not that you are dualing to). Thus, if you are a demihuman (any of the non human races), you are limited to single class generic archer (barring cheating, but I won't discuss that). Humans can be single class or dual class generic archer to some other non-kit class (same options open to any other fighter). If human, you can do generic archer to mage, generic archer to thief, generic archer to cleric, or generic archer to druid.

Keldorn and Anomen are good for tanking, allowing you to kick back and shoot from a distance (however, generic archers are decent in a melee battle, as well). Solafein (sp?) is solid (mage with solid tanking ability). Yoshimo to Imoen works for your thief. This is already a well-rounded party, but you still have 2 slots. Aerie is solid (especially in ToB), but maybe try Jaheira instead (for the druid spells, plus she is a great tank with spells). You could also try Jan (the only thief you can advance through the game, plus a mage to boot). The choice is up to you (so try some people you haven't used before).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:04 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
An Archer (I assume you are planning on playing a Ranger with the Archer kit) can only dual-class into a Cleric.
Legally, only Beast Masters and pure Rangers can Dual to Cleric, Archers and Stalkers cannot Dual at all. A rule which seems nonsensical to me, but I'm honor-bound to point out that it is a rule.

I played a Fighter-Archer(15)->Thief once, and he kicked ass. (My intent for the character was a Thief who was a crack shot with a Bow, but as Andyr's Sharpshooter kit fails to deliver this, I had to improvise.) The Thief component gave Brendan what he was missing from not being a Ranger, the armor restriction was no hindrance to someone who was constantly using his Thieving abilities anyway, and his Archer half came back in time for Improved Irenicus. I never even bothered taking UAI: What would I need it for?
I've also toyed with a Generic Archer->Druid: The armor restriction is similarly not a problem, there are such things as worthwhile Bucklers now, etc.
I would never play an Archer->Mage; that's even cheesier than a Kensai->Mage. Besides, even a Berserker->Mage will have a nice THAC0 with ranged weapons.

You can't plan a party until you plan your PC; although I will say that your party seems a little light in Tanking power.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:02 AM   #9
Tyrion
Quintesson

Ok, so I will do a PC as a Fighter (Gen. Archer) and then dual him to Thief. What would be a good level to do so? I have ToB installed.

Party pretty much looks like this:
Me

Anomen

Keldorn - Later someone in ToB...got to redeem his soul, you know

Minsc

Sola

Imoen
Old 01-27-2005, 05:29 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i'm confused: you want an archer - you want an elf - you want to be stealthy . . .

so, why do you want to be a generic archer rather than a ranger archer?

just wondering . . . [img]smile.gif[/img]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote