Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 10-13-2004, 05:38 AM   #11
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Yes, they are interesting watching all the different elements come together. Once I finalise this dude, I might post the level progression up to help any following in my dark footsteps.

You probably know about it already, but you may find http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html quite interesting - it's a selection of the best characters which are all fairly complex. You should submit your Risen Lord if he's that vicious!

I'll run through another build of him this evening when I've done my essay, but I agree - his summons don't sound that great compared to the Epic Mummy I would have access to anyway. Decisions shall be made tonight [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again

[ 10-13-2004, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Yup, I've read through most of that - freaking server is WAY to slow though. The one I found the most interesting of the group was the Palemaster/Weapon Master build where the primary attack is provided by the Palemaster's lesser demi-lich summon. Frankly though, it wasn't powerfull enough for a level 40 character.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

As promised, a background for my intrepid necromancer:

Aladine was born in the small market town of Darine; a close-knit community that grew up along one of the main trading routes south of Loudwater. His father was a member of the town militia and was killed fighting off a band of raiding orcs, leaving his upbringing to the care of his older sister Caitlin and his mother; a calm gentle woman named Lizzy. By all accounts, his childhood was a good one. The days were spent playing in the fields around the town or getting into mischief with the visiting merchants. These carefree duties came to an abrupt end when a visiting mage declared that he had natural talent and wanted to have him taught the rudiments of the art to see how he performed.

Always keen for a new adventure, Aladine persuaded his family to let him go, not realising that the fantasy world of magic in his head was about to be shattered by the dull world of musty books and classrooms. Having had no formal education as such, Aladine struggled in lessons and was liberally mocked by the other students who perceived him as stupid. Far from home and missing his family, especially his sister who had such a large role in his childhood, Aladine had a miserable few years. Visits home were few and far between, although Aladine now sought comfort in his books, and now that he had learnt to read and write, discovered that he did indeed have some aptitude with study. With few friends at the school, he spent hours in the libraries and within a year had passed the other students in ability. Their taunts at his intellect were now replaced by mutterings of jealousy.

After the second year of his renewed efforts, he left to visit his home town, now an apprentice mage, ahead of his class and able to cast several spells without mistake. He arived home to have his world shattered. Instead of Caitlin running out to embrace her younger brother, he found her lying in bed with her mother in attendance. A bout of plague had swept the town in his absence, and she was desperately ill. It was clear that her mother was exhausted; her face gaunt and drawn, so the first thing he did was send her to bed. He had some limited knowledge of the healing arts, but it was never going to be enough and over the following weeks he watched his beloved sister slip away from him. It was a horrible disease, her once-vibrant face a pale ashen colour, with sores and boils all over her body coupled with agonising pain. She didn't recognise friends and was clearly delusional, screaming and thrashing to escape nightmares that only she could see. She passed away in his arms but was not allowed a proper grave, her body being dumped in a mass grave for plague victims. The disease had been so deadly that the graveyard simply could not cope with the numbers of dead.

Somehow the lack of a decent burial compounded the grief that they felt, and not two weeks later his mother caught a fever. The stress of caring for her daughter coupled with her grief meant she could put up little resistance to the fevour and she passed away soon afterwards.

Aladine returned to his studies - after all, what else was left for him in the world? He devoted every fibre of his being into learning in an effort to rid his mind of the haunting images that were etched on the inside of his eyelids. As the years wore by and he became more and more engrossed in the cold world of magery his mind also became cold. He began to realise that his sister had died because she was weak and therefore her life was cut short by something else - her destiny was no longer her own. Images of her gruesome dying moments still haunted his dreams and he resolved to succeed where she could not, determined not to suffer her fate for himself.

With this new goal in mind, Aladine began to turn to the older forbidden sections of the library and began his research into the possibilities of life over death. Never would he have to suffer the same pitiful fate as his sister! His hard work over the coming years paid off when he managed to animate a skeleton in his laboratory. Unfortunately, control of it was as yet beyond him, and it blundered out of his laboratory where it was promptly discovered by other professors. Aladine was expelled in disgrace, but he didn't care. What could those fools teach him? He'd long given up listening to their teachings and focused on his own studies of necromancy.

It was not long after his expulsion when word reached him of an elaborate dungeon below the surface of Waterdeep, rumoured to be controlled by a mighty mage who was said to have lived for thousands of years. Aladine immediately set off for that distant city, resolving to wrest the secrets of eternal life from Halaster himself. Whilst at the age of thirty he was only a relatively young spellcaster, he more than made up for it with drive and ambition. He consoled himself with the thought that his rise would come, and when it did, Halaster would either divulge his secrets or have them ripped from his mind. Nothing and nobody would stand in the way of his search for life over death.

[ 10-15-2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote