Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-21-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Merci, danka and a heartfelt graciaz for all your posts.
I am aware the Disney film was a gross distortion. Particularly in the fact that the reason Hercules was partially mortal was that he was illegitimate. Until I started reasearching this I didn't know that the sharing the eye and tooth wasn't the fates, but a different set of mythological figures.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

I actually have the written song that they sing to the souls that they control if you need that.
I would be grateful if you could PM me that.

Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2004, 01:35 PM   #12
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Wow, you guys worry about the correctness of Disney movies?? I'm, just not going ot comment... (doh!)
Old 09-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, considering where kids get their first, and sometimes only, edumacation on many topics, I think it's fair to look at Disney's accuracy -- or incredible lack thereof.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #14
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Drew DOES have a point...besides the one on top of his head.

Disney movies are not made to be historically, culturally, physically, OR biologically accurate. Nor are many others, for that matter.

I WOULD say that they are made for entertainment, but that's a lie. They're made to make money for people. That's it. Disney is big enough that they can say "screw you" to an entire demographic group, and not take serious damage economically.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #15
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Is it just me or does a parent die in every Disney movie? It's the mother most of the time.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #16
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Interesting topic! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]
Unfortunetly, I know very little, so I can't really get involved with the origanal topic.

But, to be off topic, my two cents about Disney, I agree with Timber that they have some obligation to present a story that is as true to history as can be. Kids remember alot more than people give them credit, and understand more as well. Disney has to modify the story a bit to make it interesting for a kid, but I dont think they should change history in thier movies to much. Ya know?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:18 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

The only problem with that is that to me, the original saga about Herakles is much more interesting than what I know of the Disney one. There is no NEED to revamp or "funnify" the fabulous tales of the Greeks. I think it's probably another exponent of the typically Hollywoodian idea of "blood, gore and violence are lovely, but a naked thigh or breast is dirty and wrong and anything remotely hinting at sex must be repressed". Herakles cannot be illegitimate in a children's movie, and Zeus cannot be an adulterer, even though many kids come from divorced parents and will not be shocked by this and can read the original story in any Greek mythology book.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 PM   #18
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Well, I do know that the Graiai are the ones sharing the tooth and eye - I remember reading about them. I think it was Perseus, or one of the great Greek heroes anyway, who was on a quest and needed the Graiai to help him, so he stole their tooth and eye and wouldn't give them back until they gave him his answer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mel, as usual, gets it right. Look here.
Quote:
Graeae or Graiae[both: grEŽI] Pronunciation Key, in Greek mythology, daughters of Ceto and Phorcus, called Deino, Enyo, and Pemphredo. The personifications of old age, they were born with gray hair and only one eye and one tooth among them. They were the protectors of their sisters, the Gorgons.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:06 PM   #19
Gxc
Elminster

I might of been able to help but i see ^^ that they gave you pretty much everything you need. [img]smile.gif[/img]