Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #1
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, here is the proposal. I have a level 10ish fighter. I'm thinking that it sure would be nice to have the critical hit skill. So, what I'm thinking of doing is switching to ranger or monk or ninja for 1 level and then switching back.

If I switch back, am I adding fighter levels to where I left off? Am I level 1 fighter again? Will I be able to put points into critical strike after I switch back to fighter?

Does this make sense? Do I need more caffeine in my diet?
Chaosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Chaosopher, I always prefer to have the front guys know some magic. I think Nin or Monk would have great fighting skills, but the monk I tried was a little slow on the magic. Come to think of it, so is my samarai. Haven't tried Nin but will do so next game. I have heard both have critical strike. My Sam does. Good hunting! And, yes, this may be a good time to change classes.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #3
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ziggurat I actually didn't want to permanantly change classes. I like having my fighter there. I really only want to change classes for 1 level and then back again, but I wanted to make sure that that made some sense. I just wanted to open up the crit strike skill. But I'm not going to do it if there is a big penalty for doing so. For exmample, if I switch from fighter 10, to monk 1, and then back to fighter, is that like fighter 10, monk 1, fighter 1? Or is it Fighter 11, Monk 1?

See what I mean?

BTW: I love my sam. Just when you think a sam isn't pulling their weight, you run into a big mob (Hogar for me at the moment) and in round 1, one insta-kill makes you just want to feed your Samuri grapes will having your other party members wave palms to keep him cool.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Chaosopher, I think your idea is fine. Change to Sam or whatever to get crit strike and change back on next up. You will start a Lev 1, but the designers of the game say it's worth it to get the new skills. A bit skeptical myself, but since you are going to get alot higher levels, why not pick up some innate qualities such as crit kill? Only my Sam can do it, and he does it alot. (Others do it with their weapons or ammo alone, even if they have a +20 critical strike weapon, you can't up their skills in crit). Wish my Valk and Lord had that skill.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:00 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The problem here is, if a skill doesn't belong to your current class, you can't increase it.

So, if you have a fighter you switch to sam/monk/ninja and then back to fighter, he will have crit strike, but only as far as you advanced it in the previous class...and you won't be able to put points into it when the fighter levels up. It is a closed skill. I don't think it goes up even with use.

You'd probably be better off starting with a class that has crit strike, and switching later on when the skill is at a good level.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:49 AM   #6
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh, Thanks Nightowl2. That's the info I was looking for. I didn't realize that the skill branch would be closed. In that case, it wouldn't be worth it. I'm going to leave my fighter as is. He's got armor out the ying-yang and does a LOT of damage already with his sword. I might change my psion to a monk at some point though. And possibly my alchemsit to a ranger. Both of those seem logical enough and would give me some more crit hitters.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:37 AM   #7
DraconisRex

The skill will be closed so you will only get minor benifits from it. Better to go back and forth for a while. Of course, then you'll have armour issues... Such a pain.

Better to start as a Samurai and go for about 8 - 10 levels, then switch to Fighter permenantly.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote