Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-31-2001, 12:10 AM   #1
Gnat
Welcomed New User

I forgot to mention that you have to be a mage or sorceror to use the Staff of the Magi (can't have everything...dang)
Old 01-31-2001, 11:57 AM   #2
Gnat
Welcomed New User

I have just placed a new weapon at the top of my best in the game list:

Staff of the Magi!!!!

How good is it you ask? I had Aerie single-handedly take care of the Mind Flayer lair in the Sewers. I had my current main character (a swashbuckler/mage) single-handedly take out the Slave Lords in the Temple District (okay, I had to use a bow and some +2 arrows to take out that demon on the first floor after going through a doorway that the demon was too big to fit through).

Anyway, the method I was using exploits the fact that you go invisible everytime you ready the Staff of the Magi (you also get a cool protection from evil poof effect). I also highly recommend wearing the Non-Detection Cloak (stops things light detect invisible and true sight from finding you). Then I walk up next to who I want to attack, pause, click on who I want to attack and position the cursor over the staff in the ready weapon box. Unpause and the character attacks. When the character scores a hit, he becomes visible and I immediately click on the cursor positioned on the staff ready weapon box and become invisible again. Repeat until victim is dead. Watch out with this in the same way you have to be careful with the fake-talk attack method. If you use it on a main plot character who is scripted to say something, they won't die!!! I walked up and started bashing the Slave Lord Sion while he was still blue and he was near death forever. I let myself stay visible and he finally delivered his message and Dimension Doored away.

Some enemies don't care if you are invisible or not and you have to fight them the good ole way, stategy and tactics, swords and magic, guts and glory. A few enemies I have found that can see you are Liches, that demon on the first floor of the Slave Lords (Ghazersu?), and a summoned Nisshru (spelling?).

It's not easy to get the Staff of the Magi, but it is well worth it. The Runquest battle is one of the tougher and more enjoyable fights in the game (make use of some well placed traps to simplify it a little).

One last note, the Staff is only thac0 +1, but it counts as a +5 weapon in terms of what it can hit. You want more damage, add a girdle of giant strength or a few strength spells.

I am still laughing when I think about using Aerie as my tank to clean out the Mind Flayer lair. The first time through it was a good fight and this time it was a non event. There is still something to be said for the enjoyment of a well fought encounter, so don't let yourself miss out on too many good fights

Hope you have fun with it (it does get old after awhile).

SEE YA!!!!
Old 01-31-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
Kalgrog

Where and when do you get this staff of the magi? I want it! Thanks.

Old 01-31-2001, 02:27 PM   #4
"Hell Lich" Wah

I got my mage from my other game to equip a shaman robe and the staff of the magi = it sooo cool!!!

SPOILER!!

The staff of the magi can be obtained if you're a high level party at the bridge district. there will be two trapped houses and it's the one that's facing the sea. You need a rogue stone to initiate the quest and this can be easily obtained from Maevar's storekeeper Gorch.

DO NOT TRY THIS QUEST WITH A LOW LEVEL PARTY!!

Old 01-31-2001, 02:30 PM   #5
Kalgrog

You've twicked my interest. What level would be suitable for the quest AND who do you go to to initiate the quest, with the rogue stone? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2001, 02:31 PM   #6
Gnat
Welcomed New User

Twisted Rune SPOILER!!!!!
There is a magically locked door close to the Elemental Lich building in south end of the Bridge District that appears to go nowhere. If you have a Rogue Stone on you when you enter the door, you get dimensioned doored into a basement. Save your game before entering the door, you will probably be fighting this tough battle repeatedly. You will be greated by Shangalar upon entering the large room, have some words, and then one of the hardest fights in the game. Shangalar summons forth his "friends"...a beholder, a vampire, a thief, and a mage (Layene) who has the Staff of the Magi. Good luck with this fight, it is fun and tough. Spoiler tip - set traps close to the doorway to the large room before talking to Shangalar, he "teleports" over there to begin the battle". The traps help take him down faster.

Most people say to do this after chapter 5.....I did it in chapter 2 with Keldorn (Holy Avenger equipped), Minsc (dual wilding Flail of the Ages and a Mace +2), Nalia (variety of anti magic spells and Tuigan Short Bow), Aerie (more anti magic spells and a sling+2), Jaheira (switching between sling+2 and staff-mace and anti magic), and my main character (dualled swashbuckler to mage) with bow, katana, and spells. After I got my butt kicked good, I used the set trap method at the doorway. Don't forget a blessing and a chant for good measure. I don't know if they are evil or not for a protection from evil to do any good, but I don't think they are.

Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:46 PM   #7
Gnat
Welcomed New User

Someone just informed me that there is a bug with the Staff of the Magi, the Protection from Evil doesn't work. Just checked it out and they are correct. Gated in a Demon and the thing came after me. Fired off a protection from evil spell and it left me alone.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:48 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Gnat, I noticed that when fighting the Rune. I wondered why the female mage gated in a pit fiend and it attacked her.