Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2001, 03:04 PM   #41
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
It wont, tough....deal with it.

And you know this for fact Jerome? Why should I listen to your writings when others contradict you?
Old 03-31-2001, 03:06 PM   #42
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
I got busy with other things. I really did want to chat. Don't want to intrude on the conversation, but while I have Rikard's attention for a minute. I want to thank you Rikard, you are the reason I joined the board. Thanks! I would love to have a deep intellectual conversation when I have more time.

Well Reeka Thanks
That's really nice to know
I actually have no clue how i did that
but i'm glad i did

------------------

All Hail the Seventh house Sorcerer
Master Magician of Necromancy
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Shadowlord of the Silver Shield
Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 03:09 PM   #43
Rikard

Adn Jerome
I don't Worship him
i just think..
There has to be something
And that Power might not be what we thing of when we talk about a god
But there is something
You can best cal it "Energy" i think
But the Big Bang was triggered by something and that something is "The Power"
Worship it i do not
I live life to the fullest and try to live a Good live helping others as much as i can

------------------

Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 03:12 PM   #44
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Yorick, im just looking at life the way i see it, not trying to convert you all!

When i die, and im wrong you can laugh at me on the escalator to heaven, while i take the stairs to hell

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 03-31-2001, 03:26 PM   #45
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
A thought? False hope is no way to live a life, and you only have one Rikard. Spending your time worshiping a deity is not the way to feel fulfilled.
On his deathbed, Albert Einstein was heard to say ; "My work here is done"

He truley felt comfortable with death and belived he was here to work, to achive and to live on in the minds of the next generation. That is a purpose, and one that makes sense and benifits everyone.

Jerome Jesus last words were "it is finished" similar to your Enstien quote yes? Pity he made it first

Regarding 'false hope' you are casting judgement on the objective truth of things that can only be subjective. Having any hope is indeed better than none. Without hope there is little motivation to move on. Whether it is 'false' or not is hardly something you are in a position to ascertain. Do you spend your life giving worth to a Creator awareness. (Worship = giving worth to something) How would you know it is fulfilling or not? There are millions upon millions of testimonies from people who have lived without relating to a 'higher power' who have turned around and discovered great fulfilment in living for God and then others rather than themselves.

I often find in your posts Jerome, that you assume your experience to be universally applicable (remember the 'royal we'). This conversation aside, It's not the best attitude to take if you wish to experience life and grow as an individual. So many humans act and believe in such diverse ways that to place our own reasoning upon their situation is perilous.

"Don't knock it unless you've tried it" is what I'm getting at. If you can't try it, you need to listen listen listen to those that have to gain an insight into the mindset and the experience.

I happen to have experience my greatest moments of fulfilment in life when I have put aside my own agenda, and worshipped and followed God's. How could you possibly know that I don't feel fulfilled by such an act?

Listen to me:
I have 'worshipped', and I have not.
I get more fulfilment 'worshipping' than not.

You cannot tell me otherwise because you are not in my shoes, have not seen what I've seen and felt what I've felt, the gaping hole that got filled, the aching void that was healed.

Again, how much do you know of Einstein? His social disfunction? His inability to communicate emotionally? His disfunctional marriage? We'll have no idea how happy he was or was not. 'Immortality' if it is limited to 'living in the minds of future generations' is hollow when your dead.

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old 03-31-2001, 03:31 PM   #46
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Fair points Yorrick and i conceed, religion may content people, but i do feel it is because it reassures them. But prehaps as rikard said, that is not a bad thing.

I shouldent delve any furtherinto these things, 14 year olds have a terrible reputation for being beaten up in discussions like thes

WHOS STUPID IDEA WAS THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

------------------

Old 03-31-2001, 03:37 PM   #47
Rikard

Quote:

Mine MINE MINE
ehm
no it's not
Doh [slaps himself on his head]
[lays unconcience for a minute or so]

------------------

Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 03:38 PM   #48
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I did find it interesting that an Atheist would want to start a Theological discussion. Makes one think that he might be reaching out for something. Maybe a reassurance of something. I know you are only 14. I remember having discussion where I questioned my parent's beliefs and my Church's viewpoints (my mom still gets embarrassed whenever this comes up)(so I did it in the middle of one of the services . . . he asked if anyone had any questions . . .)and it only made my beliefs stronger, as it did theirs. If you can questions something, hold it to the light of day, then what is the point to believeing in it.

Last Point: I believe that we were all made with the ability to have our own opinions. What is right for me may not be right for you. We can differ in opinions, as long as your beliefs don't infringe on my ability to have my own. IE, I get shot for not believeing in someone's god. or I get put in jail for praying in school. etc.

BK
Old 03-31-2001, 03:40 PM   #49
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Oh and forgive me, im not the best reasoner, or thinker, and i have a nasty tendancy to just get people annoyed during conversations, and i think this is because as you say i think my view or experience is the only one.

In my youth i was pretty much alone, my only friend through school lived a distance away, and my parents were content to leave me on my own, so i very quickly learned to operate on my own without anyone else. Thi had the disadvantage of making me very alinated towards other people. and incapable of seeing their sides of things or views. This i regret deeply, but is hard to reform from despite my many years of trying.

I am hated by a great number of people, sometimes by my apperance, my personality or just "me" in genaral so i also learned to screen myself from their thoughts, and ignore them, this in turn also lead t the above condition.

What im saying Yorick is that im trying, but please bear with me in things like this, cause i aint to skilled in it!

------------------

Old 03-31-2001, 03:46 PM   #50
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Fair points Yorrick and i conceed, religion may content people, but i do feel it is because it reassures them. But prehaps as rikard said, that is not a bad thing.

I shouldent delve any furtherinto these things, 14 year olds have a terrible reputation for being beaten up in discussions like thes

Again you are assuming to understand that which you don't know! You are using words "people" and "them" how do you know this? Have you spoken to them? Have you tried it? Of course faith provides reassurance - but it also challenges the essence of human nature. It gives security, reason and hope to life, but also makes fundamental changes at the core.

Take for example the "turn the other cheek" line.
Everything in our being is built to retaliate. Survival instinct. Attack when attacked. Why do we have cycles of hate? Endless retaliations of violence?

Try applying that principle in a tribal war scenario or in a relationship quarrel, and by challenging human nature - making yourself vulnerable - you break the cycle of retaliation. It is the only way.

Any other reassurance one can receive in a chaotic and unpredictable world is not necessarily a bad thing. I rather think it a good thing. A relationship between lovers for example can go sour with a lack of reassurance.

BTW I'm not 'beating you up' I'm presenting the tip of an iceberg-like integrated world view of mine that contains that which you are 'writing off'. Talking about religion isn't a stupid idea Jerome, it has been the seed of much wonderful conversation for myself - and by all accounts others - over many years.

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!