Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-15-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
fung
Dungeon Master

Its widely agreed that mooks makes the best rangers, however after some analysis I consider the hobbit makes an equally good if not better rangers than mooks.

Starting attributes:

Mook: str- 50, Int-50, Pi-25, Vit- 50, dex - 55, spd- 35, senses 55

Hobbit:str-50, int-50, Pi-30, vit-50, dex -55, spd -50, senses 55

As you cans see, everything is the same except the hobbit has a 15pt advantage on spd...and also a 5 pt advantage on Piety (spell casting).

The mook gets 40 spare points, the hobbit gets 30. hence I consider hobbits have better starting stats than mooks, I consider the 15pt advantage in spd supieror to the 10 extra spare pts (not to mention the hobbit advantage in peity).

Intangibles:

1)Hobbits rangers build up skills a little bit faster...the extra spd allows the ranger to shoot sooner and more often...

2)Rangers need an extended range melee weapon, and the mook has a great one:

Giant's sword- 9-33dmg, +2Hit, -2Initiative, 30%KO, +5 str

The hobbit however should train polearms instead and can compete by using weapons such as :

Dread Spear- 11-23dmg, +2hit, +2 Initiative, Hex 50%, polearm +20
Stun rod - 9-23 dmg, -6 init, Paralyse 20%, polearm +10

This post is getting a little long so i'll stop here. Comments and replies are welcomed.

As for me, I like the hobbit ranger more, the mook is too slow...and I give the hobbit ranger the edge for its ability to train skills faster.
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hobbits are great at about any class really. A couple of Mook points though. They can max out their prime stats faster than a hobbit can because they have more spare points and will be allowed to spend more per attribute when you make them. So I would probably go Str/Dex or Dex/Sen, but either way the Mook will max those stats out a little sooner and open up the personal skills faster. Also to me Speed is pretty much a waste of a stat after you get the haste spell, I only build it in the character I am going to use to cast that spell at the start of every fight, which won't be the ranger. I say this because if you look at your characters stats during a fight where a level 7 haste is up, it pumps their speed by I think 70-75 points, so everyone will have a speed of 100+ with that spell on. Take the extra 10 points the Mook gets, add 5 to speed, 5 to piety, and you have a character who's 10 points lower in a (to me anyway) worthless stat, speed, and who will max out his prime stats faster; also who will get a better melee weapon in the GS. But you can't go wrong either way. The last party I ran I decided on a Mook over a Hobbit for a character who went from Ninja to Ranger, really for the GS, before he got that he used the No Dachi as a Ninja and was alot of fun.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

you forgot one thing, mook will make you waste 8 hours of game time. if you are gunning for record speed of completing games, mook is not for you.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

To me that's really not even a consideration, it takes about 30 seconds of real time to rest and have your Mook come back to your party.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
Rhea
Drow Warrior

I've used Hobbit and Mook rangers both and don't find a lot to choose between them. I enjoy being able to use the Giant's Sword though. It rocks!

I don't mind the minor melodrama with the Mook, because it sort of adds to the RPGing of the game and takes a whole whopping 30 sec. of game time to rest and get your Mook back.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
you forgot one thing, mook will make you waste 8 hours of game time. if you are gunning for record speed of completing games, mook is not for you.
One moment of resting is enough. One second in real time, maybe 2 minutes in game time - thats all.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

hmm...maybe I'm the only one who want to finish games in a record time.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote