Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2000, 11:54 AM   #11
Lucin

I found that cloak that reflects all magic - equipped my kensai with it, and waited for the lich to exhaust itself of spells - with the cloak you remain virtually untouched - then when liches spell protections disappear WHACK WHACK - lich gibs everywhere!- also have killed all the dragons i have come across this way (shadow,silver,red(firkragg)irenicus' dracon, and the black one in hell - only problem is this cloak seems to have no effect on the Demi Lich - albeit i have only tried twice with this demi dude so i'll have it nutted out after a few more tries...
any hints here would be appreciated though...

Old 12-22-2000, 02:34 PM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I like the dispel magic, spell thrust, breach etc., with two fighters protected from evil in the front. I had relatively little problem with that particular lich. The improved invis., non-detection cloaked thief worked really well to get the daystar, and it really does a number on the lich. You just have to hit it really fast, because that timestop stuff will do a number on you.
Old 12-22-2000, 02:55 PM   #13
Glorick the Half-Orc

The best way to win without doing anything cheesy is to bash him to death once his protection spells wear off. To live long enough to do that, you need to be fairly high level, and also conjure as many monsters and beasties as you can. Keep your party in the back while you use "animate dead" and "monster summoning" to make as much fodder as possible. Potions of speed always help, but expect to use a few raise demons, especially if some nasty critters are summoned.

Old 12-22-2000, 03:30 PM   #14
mildred

I don't know if you'll think this is a cheesy tactic or not, but this is what I just did out of sheer luck and perhaps being over-prepared.

I went to kill the lich in the inn at the gate, but I knew he was there (he slaughtered me a few times before) so I protected my mages with spell turning, globes, fire shields, etc. then I went into the room and paused BEFORE HE TALKED TO ME, while he was still blue. I sent 2 fighters over and had my mage & druid summon Nishru, had arrows ready, etc. then unpaused. My fighters wiped him out in just a few rounds (I guess because he never cast any protections), before anything was even summoned, and he never even turned red before he died! He was easier than a mephit!
Then I saved and reloaded just to make sure he didn't have anything worthwhile to say (he didn't).

Happy lich-killing! ;o)

Old 12-22-2000, 05:04 PM   #15
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Has the bridge district lich something to do with Kangaxx quest ?? I didnt find anything in his tomb.

About killing liches, I use this tactic: hack him with warriors until he pretects from magic weapons, RUN, summon elementals and dryads to fight him while i RUN. This will slow him and he wont reach you that fast, and maybe the elementals can deal some damage. Then when he reaches you protections will be off so hack again and its done. At least this has worked in the sewer´s lich. In the gate district I used another tactic, but I cant remeber how the hell i killed him.

Old 12-22-2000, 05:05 PM   #16
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Oh i forgot it: i dont think this is a cheesy tactic, cause if it was real Im sure you wouldn´t stand fighting him if you cant hit him with your weapons- you would RUN and then fight. I think its more clever

Old 12-22-2000, 05:55 PM   #17
Holy Mage Wah

Cheesy tactic? Yeah..............OK.

You have to be a high level mage with some 8th level spells and 7th level.

Cast spell trap.
Then Abi Dalzims and more and more and more Abi Dalzims.

He shouldn't be much harder than that - if you run out of Abi Dalzims then go ahead with Prismatic Sprays.

His contingencies only AFFECT SPELLS CASTED AT HIM, so area affects don't work.

Now that is what I call cheesy - two moves only!!!

Old 12-22-2000, 08:05 PM   #18
Armisael

Sure, but what kind of a mage has more than one or two eighth level spells? Aside from Edwin, I mean. : )
You can't really disrupt his casting with a magic missile. His protections trigger as soon as the battle starts, and they'll just be reflected right back at you.

Old 12-23-2000, 04:00 AM   #19
TLan

Well, one more fight..

At some point with my paladin I forgot about that particular lich for quite some time.. I was rather high lvl by the time I got back to town and by that time my paladin was decked out.. I went to that pub and then remembered about that lich.. Saved the game and went in with just my paladin (undead hunter). As I said, he was by that time decked out, lvl 17, smacking stuff with Carsomyr.. That lich said something dramatic but it was really no problem to kill him by then. He slapped his spells up, but Carsomyr dispelled some and went right thru others, and lich died just when it was about to summon pit fiend. As someone here said, it felt like smacking a memphis or goblin... But at earlier levels he can be pest indeed.

Old 12-23-2000, 04:43 AM   #20
RedArrow

Thanks for all the replies guys I learned some nice tactics.

Btw I tried the shadow dragon yesterday.

May be spoilerish..

At my 4th try, I used two breach and 2 lower resistance on him. After that many spells effected him. Even insect swarm worked which shut him up for good! Also I found out holy smite works really good on him. When he was dead I had Jaheira in small pieces(she was drained sooo mcuh, lvl 0 druid, level 2 fighter ouch) and was too late, so I'm trying him again today and I hope it will work well again. Oh and I was disappointed with the dragons loot :/