Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Kazilan:
Picked up game informer last night, read through the article. I've got mixed feelings so far - it looks a lot like oblivion with guns.

Main differences and reasons for excitement: usage of SPECIAL system makes for true Fallout character development and there are aimed shots like in the original. During combat you can focus on a particular body part for an aimed shot, instead of a typical fps where you just blam away. The game will also use Action points to determine how fast you shoot, how quickly you can take another aimed shot.... sounds promising, I'm curious how the mix will work out.

Still, I can't shake the feeling this is just Oblivion with guns... I hope my original Fallout stealthy martial arts character is viable, and I'm not forced into playing a gun blasting merc. My morrowind monk type character never worked out right in Oblivion.

Got high hopes!
Check out some of the dialogue on the NoMutantsAllowed site. A lot of the cult followers of the Fallout series are NOT happy with what Bethesda has planned for F03. They agree with the "Oblivion with Guns" critique and seem to think that Bethesda is not making a true successor to the FO and FO2 games. I'll wait and see, but I am NOT encouraged by a lot of the things I have read so far - including some of the Bethesda Dev's comments.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
I skim that site on occasion, and there are some pretty negative comments about Bethesda's work. Scrolling through the official elderscrolls Fallout forum is like navigating a minefield... a lot of it seems pretty childish, but I agree that the game doesn't really 'feel' like Fallout. I sort of wish they had called it something else - Bethesda's Fallout, or Fallout: DC. Something slightly different than Fallout 3, anyway. I bet that change alone would have silenced a lot of the criticism.

That being said, I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun. Just not really Fallout-y.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Alot of the systemic problems Bethesda faces with the hardcore fans lies in their erroneous choice of title - if only they'd do a spinoff rather than have the freaking gall to try to make a sequel, perhaps there wouldn't be so many angry rabid pipboys crying befoulment and blasphemy. Fallout goes first person? No thanks. Call it something else please! I'm not convinced Bethesda truly understands Fallout conceptually at all and the dark irony and political satire of the originals will be lost, replaced by juvenile violence and ridiculous settings. I mean a town called Megaton built on an unexploded nuclear bomb? Idiocy!

Again, my worries were the same from Morrowind-Oblivion and justified. It'll be dumbed down for a new generation. I can see myself cringing and shaking my fist in the immortal words of Taylor:
"You took out its brain, you babboons!" [img]graemlins/headshake.gif[/img]
Negativity where negativity is deserved I say.

[ 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
....... angry rabid pipboys crying befoulment and blasphemy.
ROTFLMAO Now that is an ugly visual.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

The name "Fallout 3" makes it permanently and irrevocably Fallout. Which means that most, if not all, die-hard fans will buy it anyway. And then whine because it's not Fallout 2. And play and finish it, several times, and then buy Fallout 4. And whine because it's still not Fallout 2. Bethesda could just sell empty boxes.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
The name "Fallout 3" makes it permanently and irrevocably Fallout. Which means that most, if not all, die-hard fans will buy it anyway.
You're totally wrong about that: Check NMA or DAC. Those are the die-hard fans that everyone is talking about, and the general attitude has been very negative since the first preview came out. I don't think many of the die-hard fans will buy FO3 based on the current expectations. I as a die-hard fan am not going to buy it until we get more promising material.

To be honest, the Fallout fanbase doesn't seem like any other fanbase in that they are not blinded in their love. Many of them will gladly point out some things that could have been better and were open about FO3 becoming a proper Fallout. With such idiocy as a town built upon a crater(??) of an unexploded nuke, silly violence like the Rock-It launcher and standing next to nuclear explosions and surviving I'm not giving it much hope though. In other words: the fallout fanbase isn't a fanbase that would buy a game based on it's name. Proof: Fallout Tactics and Fallout: BOS.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
The name "Fallout 3" makes it permanently and irrevocably Fallout. Which means that most, if not all, die-hard fans will buy it anyway.
You're totally wrong about that: Check NMA or DAC. Those are the die-hard fans that everyone is talking about, and the general attitude has been very negative since the first preview came out. I don't think many of the die-hard fans will buy FO3 based on the current expectations. I as a die-hard fan am not going to buy it until we get more promising material.

To be honest, the Fallout fanbase doesn't seem like any other fanbase in that they are not blinded in their love. Many of them will gladly point out some things that could have been better and were open about FO3 becoming a proper Fallout. With such idiocy as a town built upon a crater(??) of an unexploded nuke, silly violence like the Rock-It launcher and standing next to nuclear explosions and surviving I'm not giving it much hope though. In other words: the fallout fanbase isn't a fanbase that would buy a game based on it's name. Proof: Fallout Tactics and Fallout: BOS.
[/QUOTE]Perhaps you're right. I'm trusting the fanatics to want to know exactly what is wrong with the game, to be able to say that they've played the game and didn't like it. But admittably the other fallouts didn't sell that well.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

For those days, both Fallouts sold really well for the market they were in. Remember that this was 97/98 and the PC game market wasn't that big. Let alone the RPG market. Truth of the matter is: no one I know hadn't heard or played Fallout and all liked it.

As for the fanbase, it is a really critical group, critical about any game. They didn't buy Oblivion and I expect they will not buy Fallout3 unless it turns for the better.

That does not mean, however, they will not play it. (I'll let you guys fill in the gaps...)
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
Sever

As an adult PC gamer, chief among my concerns is that they're making it for consoles and kiddywinks also. I do believe Beth have forgotten their heritage.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 AM   #20
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I faintly remember Fallout, one or two I'm not sure, but I think it's one of the best future/modern rpgs out there isn't it? I think I'll have to get Fallout 1n2 somewhere, prolly from amazon.