Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 07:30 PM   #1
Jolem
Welcomed New User

I have a human lord in my party. I wanted him to wield
a sword in one hand and a mace in the other. I can get
the sword or the mace in the primary weapon slot but the
dagger is the only thing I can put in the secondary weapon
slot. I have heard that the lord is the best with sword
and mace but it doesn't seem possible to have those at the
same time. What's the deal?
Jolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
Annheiser
Manshoon

Certain weapons can only be wielded in the primary hand. You need to right click your weapon to check if it's primary only, or both. Earliest mace you can get that can go off-hand is probably a Hammer, which you can buy cheap at Arnika.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
Mage_77
Manshoon

There are few mace & flail weapons for the offhand weapon slot. Diamondeye's is one of the more decent maces that can be equppied there and fairly easily obtained.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:49 PM   #4
jsteng
Dungeon Master

Lords have 25% bonus on dual weapons. This means that per every 4 points added into Dual Weapon, he get an additional 1.

However, 100 dual weapon proficiency does not imply he will be good on any weapons. It simply mean that he can use 2 weapons without penalty. Using sword or hammer is another proficiency. If you happen to have only 10 proficiency in sword and another 10 in mace, you actually ended up like a poor kid who is good with his hands but not good in holding the sword or hammer.

This implies that you need to improve on your sword and mace proficiencies as well.

In other words, if you want to REALLY be effective with a Lord, you will need to have at least about 50 points into Dual Weapon, 50 points into Sword and another 50 points into Mace for a total of 150 points.

150 Points just to have a character do 2x more attacks.
150 points = 25 levelups.
At Level 25, its practically game over.

You need to concentrate on your proficiencies; if you DO intend on dual wielding, then i'd suggest go for one type of weapon. The only sword I know that can be fitted on the secondary slot is the wakizaki but only ninja and samurai can use this. The only Mace type weapon I know that you can use on two hands is the Nunchaku - I dont know if Lords can use this.

Maybe try your luck with Axes. You can use those BeastSlayer on your main hand and the CLeaver on the other.

Tough luck for a lord... =(
jsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
Nydlari
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by jsteng:
150 Points just to have a character do 2x more attacks.
150 points = 25 levelups.
At Level 25, its practically game over.
(

Ah, your missing a big aspect of the game here:
SKILLS CAN BE PRACTICED!

If you put a sword in one hand and a hammer in the other, then go fight things; you can get 50 skill points in each by lvl 10 easy.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:36 AM   #6
Mage_77
Manshoon

Yes but putting all your characters on "defend" while that 1 character gains skill improvements means your neglecting your other characters [img]smile.gif[/img]

If your were to do that will all your characters then you would spend about 4-5hours just gaining skill to 50 in each type of weapon you want over several characters.

As for sword sin 2ndry slot. The Baselard that antone sells is a sword that can go in the 2ndry slot & is useable by lords.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:40 AM   #7
BlackHand
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Baselard is a dagger class weapon IIRC.
BlackHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:44 AM   #8
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't pretend to fully understand all the intricacies of every stat and skill and interdependency in Wizardry 8, but I can give my own experiences with dual wield and see if that helps anyone here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In my party, my dual wielder is my Felpurr Samurai. None of his stats are maxed. STR is approx. 75, Dex is approx. 75, and Speed is approx. 75 (I tried diversifying too early, instead of maxing one stat to get advanced skills). His Dual Wield is around 40/50 (can't remember at the moment), Sword is somewhere between 50/70 (again, can't recall).

He's been dual wielding reliably since level five, when those skill amounts were probably half that, so you don't have to have 50 skill in dual wield and 50 skill in the weapon skills you plan to use.

Also, you needn't wait until level 25 to get the stats up high enough to go reliably. Heck, let's even use the example earlier, where they want to get up to 50 in three skills (let's say Dual Wield, Sword, and Mace).

At level 1, you get plenty skill points to go around, typically what, 6 or 9 max to start? I don't remember, let's go 9.

So, at level 1, you've got 9 in each of those skills. That means you need 41 more in each. Over the time it takes to level up enough to spend a lot of points, you should naturally gain probably 20 points in each skill just from use (hey, I get 'em pretty often, and I DON'T have to make everyone else in my party just defend so my samurai can develop those skills ). So, realistically, I should only have to spend around 21 points to get each skill to 50. That's 7 more levels, placing my party at level 8 to get the samurai up to 50 in each skill.

But Jolem is building a Lord, not a Samurai. This is even better, since the Lord gets a 25% bonus to dual wielding. (heh heh... just reread that last sentence, and by itself it sounds kinda funny... *ahem* Okay, okay, moving on...) As such, the Lord only needs a skill of 40 in dual wield to get an effective skill of 50. As a result, your Lord character should be at a practical skill of 50 no later than level 8, more likely earlier.

Also, remember that you don't necessarily have to use a skill SUCCESSFULLY to make it improve. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can fizzle spells and miss attacks and still improve for trying! I love that!

So hey, all I'm trying to point out is that it shouldn't be ridiculously hard to get a character to reliably dual wield (especially a Lord character).

Farscry
Old 02-13-2002, 09:52 AM   #9
ratchild
Manshoon

One of the best maces in the game is secondary equippable. diamond eyes... pickpocketed from shaman Das.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Mage_77
Manshoon

You can also get hold of a Diamondeye mace in Mt. Wilderness (in the Deathlord Mound near the pylon circle for the dungeon).