Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I know Ziroc is not happy with the toolset but, I'm Not a Modder.
I just like to play the game. so everyone who likes Playing the game
or not post here we'll let Ziroc have his own I hate the tool set or I
love the tool set post. That way we can have a Idea of what everyone
thinks about the story and the system as am RPG. also game tips and spoilers.

I got the game tonight but haven't had time to load it but from what I
read it seems to be a little like NWN meets Baldur's Gate. but as I said
that was just from looking at the book.

The Party systen is Back Yahoo!!

[ 11-02-2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! I'm sure Z will have his own views on the toolset, Crimsom. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Gamespot seems pretty happy with it... and I find I agree with them a lot on games I get... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
LOL! I'm sure Z will have his own views on the toolset, Crimsom. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I posted this after reading a dozen or so posts by Ziroc and others about
the toolset and how bad its was and how hard it is to use and how bad they
thought it would be compaired to the first tool set. Hell I could never get
the first one to work and thought it sucked.

I want this link to be about game play "only" because I want to see how "all" the
old BG 1 & 2 people like the game. Is it more what everybody wanted in the first
NWN or seem like the same old thing with a new face on it.

I still don't understand why people don't read more than the first line of my
posts and think that is the message I'm trying to say and then only post about it alone.

[ 11-02-2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well I've only played about an hour but have to say im 50/50. The functionality and intention is there but the game still feels a bit clunky.

Some thoughts...

Interface and UI art is really nice. Character creation was a pleasure and it was so good to see something that wasn't those horrible square black buttons in NWN's 1. Windows have nice silver and gold borders plus a bit of that sylvan arty stuff we saw in Baldurs Gate 2.

The actual graphics are nice if not a little odd. It looks kinda like Guild Wars graphics. Doesn't quite fit D&D and i'm not sure why. I don't really like the avatars..

In-game interface is annoying and looks unfinished. It is cluttered and I think many windows can't be moved...When will develepors learn that in order to get an immediate "thumbs-up" in interface-design, they need to make everything customizable and re-sizable? It's a simple formula. I found myself missing the arty borders and windows in character creation when I looked at the in-game UI. The dialogue window is just an ugly little black popup with some text in it that appears on the side of your screen. I am all for space-saving but make what we look at 50% of the time pleasing to the eyes.

Controls are frustrating right now and the camera is annoying. I need to be fair and say I am used to WoW for the last 2 years and haven't played NWN's in a long time so it could just be me and my trouble adjusting to a new engine. Many of you who never stopped playing may easily make the transition.

The story seems interesting and the dialogue options are all there. They took up the Bioware tradition and the third option is usually a funny insult you can hurl at an NPC. Love that.

There are many little things they kept in from NWN's 1 that it almost feels like NWN's 1.5. The sounds of characters and NPC's, chests and doors, spells being cast are all familiar. The spell animations too. Some of the animal avatars are just reskins from the old NWN's. Obviously they added some new stuff too but it seems like much of their work was already done for them, leaving me to wonder why they didn't finish the UI.

All in all I will wait and see, but I think it needs some work atm.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
quote:

I want this link to be about game play "only" because I want to see how "all" the
old BG 1 & 2 people like the game. Is it more what everybody wanted in the first

posts and think that is the message I'm trying to say and then only post about it alone.
[/QUOTE]I did read all your post mate. That point was the one I deemed worth commenting on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, my views so far.

I'm running this on a:
Sony VAIO Pentium M 2Ghm (rated at 2.99Ghz)
1GB RAM
Go6200 w/ Turbocache 128MB

So far I've had to run it on the lowest settings even because things were very slow and jerky on the default settings (strangely it autodetected me on the high end settings). Maybe it's just not as "fast" as NWN1.

Haven't gotten too far yet, but will have another go tonight.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
quote:

[/QUOTE]You seemed to enjoy the mod I made with the NWN1 toolset, riiiigghht? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I should get my copy in a day or so. I'm not worried about the toolset for NWN2 really. It seems good, but the actual game is also what I want to check out. From what I hear, people are having loads of issues with NWN2.

I like that they made henchmen easier to add to the party. That is cool! The single player game is supposedly 50 hours long! wow... Miss those long RPGs!

[ 11-03-2006, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I hate the toolset. It's so non-intuitive. I've been trying to work out how to create an interior area, but all I get is a black screen. What am I doing wrong?

I can create a basic exterior area well, but I can't do an interior one. Does anyone know if there's a manual or guide or something out there?

Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OK, my initial views gameplay wise:

It's very different from NWN1 - in fact it has more of a BG/IWD "feel" to it, even down to the inventory system which is back to the Infinity engine style than the Aurora style (where big items would physically take up more space). The graphics seem to have deteriorated, but maybe that's because I have to run it on minimal settings - I mean minimal, no shadows, no nothing. It seems to be a lot more "comic-book-like".

The interface seems to be a bit more unwieldy - you have to remember more hotkeys to bring up things like your Journal, Inventory, etc. Otherwise you have to click through numerous menus to get to what you want.

On the plus side, the storyline is just starting to get good - I got past the tutorial and have started the "official" game (you can skip the tutorial, but I didn't). I like how you can physically control four characters now. And obviously there's more scope for character creation, with more options for classes, feats, etc. It helps now that I can actually *play* the game.

The voiceacting is also good.

One "bug" I found was that when you are looking at one's character's list of feats in their Character Screen, then you close that screen, pick another character and then check their Character screen, the Feats screen shows the "last viewed feat", even if the new character you picked doesn't have that feat. Bit confusing!

Also, I haven't worked out how to equip dual-wielded weapons in my quick slots - for a sword and shield you put the sword in one slot and the shield in another, but I haven't been able to check if the same applies for dual wield. Anyone know?

As for the toolset, I hate it. Anyone know of a manual to teach us how to use it?