Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2002, 11:36 PM   #1
Sylvain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi there,
To present my party, I'm level 25-26 for my 6 starting chars, lvl 23 for Vi and lvl 24 for this Umpani I saved on the beach. Right now, I'm wandering throughout the peaks.
First, how do I get rid of this Umpani ?!?. The general wont hear of it since the only thing he gonna tell me is to go to the ascension peak [img]smile.gif[/img] . How I ended up in this mess is quite simple in fact, I started the game by going directly to the Umpani camp and did the first mission. Next, I wandered searching for this "mansion" but was never able to find it until, far later, I understood it was Marten's bluff. Anyway, I met Z'Ant and agreed to work for them and give them a flag, BUT, the next time I talked to him, he turned me down as a spy. I killed him, along with his accolites and even played with the computer (which eventually destroyed the t'rang ship). So, you see, I made the last Umpani mission before the second ... . No wonder I get stuck by now. And this Umpani prisonner simply WONT permit me to dismiss him !.

Another thing. Why on earth nobody talks about the dreadful encounter we make on the peaks ?!?. Greater demon (lvl 33), Djinn of the clouds (lvl 28), Djinn of the sun (36), Diamond unicorn (33), Enlighted spirit (29) to name a few ... .The blistering scorchers (18) look like play toys up there ... . Nessie, announced as a big problem, cant stand the comparison !.

Lastly, Vi complains a great deal but she can be teleported, via a portal spell or t'rang teleporter, to the rapax rift. Some of her sentences are quite funny [img]smile.gif[/img] , also the ones of the Umpani prisonners [img]smile.gif[/img] . Since I cant get rid of him, I make him regreat his beach [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Ah, another thing. What of Bela ?. I disarmed the bomb in Arnika and got all three devices (that's his quest after all) but he wont come along .. .

btw, anybody tried to see what happens if you dont disarm the bomb ?.

That's it .. anybody feels like answering ?.

Cya,
Sylvain
PS: I from France and, thanks to a good friend in Raleigh, got the game in ten days after shiping. Local retailers don't even know the game's out !.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
Nix
The Magister

1) On the unwanted Umpani (Sgt. Glumph?), your situation is first I ever heard of. Just a thought: if you can't dismiss him, have you tried drowning the bugger?

2) Honestly, I found Ascension Peak to be a cakewalk really, and I was at about the same level as you when I finished. In fact, I think the game is pretty easy after level 15 or so.

3) True, you can force Vi to go with you, but her performance will be the equivalent of a hexed character, not to mention the griping.

4) Bela doesn't "join" you as a party member, but you'll be meeting him again soon.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
Sylvain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Nix:
1) On the unwanted Umpani (Sgt. Glumph?), your situation is first I ever heard of. Just a thought: if you can't dismiss him, have you tried drowning the bugger?

Hum .. Fact is that he got killed once or twice, but I didn't tried to dismiss him while dead. Beside, I was hoping of a more descent end. I simply cant stand this way getting rid of some1 !. A happy ending sound better to my hear

2) Honestly, I found Ascension Peak to be a cakewalk really, and I was at about the same level as you when I finished. In fact, I think the game is pretty easy after level 15 or so.

Well, maybe I'm not confident enough in my party, but ... this Djinn of the sun was really impressive !.

Thanks for the answer !.

Take care,
Sylvain
Old 03-05-2002, 12:35 AM   #4
Tasmin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I hit the peak at about the same level. After buffing up, my bishop had to either cast ressurect or sane mind every round while my gadgeteer did the heal all. This left my hackers (Lizard fighter, R2D2, a Lord, a Samurai, and Vi) to chop up the rest. The party becomes fairly invincible at these levels with these spells. And this was before I began reading the forums on how to level up my party the right way. My hybrids were strong fighters but never did advance above 3rd level spells. The gadgeteer was mostly a tag along until I finally found some decent gadgets to merge toward the end. He had that Omnigun so pumped that I had trouble keeping him in bullets.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:48 AM   #5
Sylvain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I might sound childish there, but, Death Cloud + Quicksand in the first row is not what I call "easy going". Also, I don't see the piece of cake when you got to resurrect some party members !. These "random encounters" in the peaks got me 350 000 XP (!!!) several times !. Destroying T'rang ship only got me 100 000 XP ... .

Sylvain
Old 03-05-2002, 01:04 AM   #6
ice3
Drow Warrior

I entered AP around level 18. But I run out very fast when after the 10th try I try to kick the Souleater boss. This was the only insane monster that stoped me. Well Also so Diamond Unicorns, at level 18 they are a real pain so I coundn't speak to PeeWee . At level 23 all monsters are just cannon fodder.

But later one the monster level will jump 10 levels so the challenge may become bigger.

Dijnn aren't a big trouble. I bump in a group of 3. 2 of them dead the first round. My front line been expert in Criticals (Samurai, Ninja and Monk).
Old 03-05-2002, 01:12 AM   #7
Sylvain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've _never_ been able to start a fight "head to head". I'd like to know the trick that puts your party right in front of a Djinn in the first row !. That'd save me a LOT of tiring/long rows doing "silence", "eye to eye" and the like, just, for my crew to get near the "bad guys" .

Sylvain
Old 03-05-2002, 01:46 AM   #8
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvain:
I might sound childish there, but, Death Cloud + Quicksand in the first row is not what I call "easy going". Also, I don't see the piece of cake when you got to resurrect some party members !. These "random encounters" in the peaks got me 350 000 XP (!!!) several times !. Destroying T'rang ship only got me 100 000 XP ... .

I'm sorry if it sounded like bragging when I said that AP was easy, because I didn't mean it that way. I could be wrong, but I honestly think most of us who entered AP in the twenty-ish level found that the going was much easier compared to the challenges faced by a "young party" in the roads, in Trynton, the swamp, etc. And that's why there is very little excitement over the powerful, high-level monsters encountered at the Peak. By the time we got there our magical resistances were very high, equipment was already the best, all buffing/protection spells were available, skills were peaking. As someone else has said, you're pretty much invincible at these levels.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:08 AM   #9
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvain:
I've _never_ been able to start a fight "head to head". I'd like to know the trick that puts your party right in front of a Djinn in the first row !. That'd save me a LOT of tiring/long rows doing "silence", "eye to eye" and the like, just, for my crew to get near the "bad guys" .

When fighting powerful monsters, your first priority should be defensive: use the first round to put up elemental shield and soul shield; and this should be on top of long-term spells that are constantly up like magic screen and missle shield. Also, have your bard/gadgeteer or other spellcasters put up buffing spells like bless or haste. THEN rush the monsters to get in close in the second round.

I don't use this technique much myself, but if you camp in the vicinity of a monster(s), there's a good chance your sleep will be interrupted and you'll be in combat mode with the monsters right in your face, like you want. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 02:26 AM   #10
Sylvain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Nix:
I don't use this technique much myself, but if you camp in the vicinity of a monster(s), there's a good chance your sleep will be interrupted and you'll be in combat mode with the monsters right in your face, like you want. [img]smile.gif[/img]

THAT, is an idea [img]smile.gif[/img] . It's worth a try. Although, the goal is to go forth, not camping . Nonetheless, I'll see what could be done this way !.
Thanks for the clue !.

Sylvain