Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #21
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Ah Cerek,
it's not so bad. I'm on the DOD server until I leave late NOV, I can access this board, and my web-based e-mail and all .mil links. But there is a stupidly thin line between reality and common sense. It's a well publicized fact the the stuff you mention above, and Gov't contorlled access go hand to mouth!
But some legitimate links, and sites are banned because one could possibly learn sumpin from it? Ah heck, it's not that bad.

Music not only brings all that with it, but it's horrendus on band width, to include internet radio. That's why you will be blocked for a lot of entertainment sites, because of high band width audio/video files.

Good Luck
They are also going to restrict our email addresses to just strictly business contacts.

That's a good point about internet radio that I hadn't thought of. I know several of the employees in our hospital DO "listen" to the radio on their PC. In fact, I've even helped some of them locate the station they wanted to listen to online and then set it up for them. Webshots is another popular site for the employees and that leads to LOTS of downloads of new pictures for their wallpaper and screensaver.

I knew this was coming down over a month ago, because the our "in house" computer guy is the son of a lady that works in Accounting. She was the one telling me (with an amount of sadistic glee) that her son was going to be in charge of restricting the internet access all these people were enjoying. I couldn't help thinking to myself that her glee came from the fact that she thought SHE would get an exemption from the restriction since her son is the one setting it up...but since EVERY station will be monitered, that won't be the case. In fact, the boss told me that several of the current "stand-alone" PC's were going to be replaced with just a monitor, keyboard and mouse that was tied into our main server. To the best of my knowledge, Mommie Dearest doesn't actually NEED internet access for her job....but I DO need it for mine since some of our supplies are ordered through the vendor's websites.

Like I said before, we'll see how everything shakes out.